DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Brikikoz
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 209
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:00 pm

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Brikikoz » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:40 pm

Peach wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:44 pm
I'm kind of glad they're moving on. I outgrew Abridged Series years ago.

Did they really want to be doing this into their 40's and 50's, sacrificing professional careers and time with their family? Making one episode can take hundreds to thousands of hours.
What's wrong with doing art into your 40s and 50s?

User avatar
KaiserNeko
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1953
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: Dallas, TX United States

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by KaiserNeko » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:43 pm

Brikikoz wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:40 pm
Peach wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:44 pm
I'm kind of glad they're moving on. I outgrew Abridged Series years ago.

Did they really want to be doing this into their 40's and 50's, sacrificing professional careers and time with their family? Making one episode can take hundreds to thousands of hours.
What's wrong with doing art into your 40s and 50s?
I love DBZA with all my heart.

But if you told me that it's what I'd be doing into my 40s I'd burn my computer to the ground.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

User avatar
Brikikoz
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 209
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:00 pm

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Brikikoz » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:04 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:43 pm
Brikikoz wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:40 pm
Peach wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:44 pm
I'm kind of glad they're moving on. I outgrew Abridged Series years ago.

Did they really want to be doing this into their 40's and 50's, sacrificing professional careers and time with their family? Making one episode can take hundreds to thousands of hours.
What's wrong with doing art into your 40s and 50s?
I love DBZA with all my heart.

But if you told me that it's what I'd be doing into my 40s I'd burn my computer to the ground.
Sorry to hear you say that. In life, if we can do something we love and also make the world a tiny bit better (i.e. through art, laughter, etc.) then it doesn't matter what age we do it at, because that's the best thing we can do with our time together on the planet.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2713
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Scsigs » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:30 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:43 pm
I love DBZA with all my heart.

But if you told me that it's what I'd be doing into my 40s I'd burn my computer to the ground.
I hear that. I often feel extremely sorry for the people whose shows go on for fucking ever with no signs of stopping because the network got greedy. At the very least the ones that clearly don't wanna be doing it anymore. Like, Matt Stone & Trey Parker, I can see why they'd wanna continue South Park as long as they have. Eichiro Oda I can even see, though his situation's different, as well since he's said he genuinely loves writing the manga & that shows. However, the writers of Family Guy, The Simpsons, Fairly Oddparents (before it was unceremoniously cancelled), & other shows, I can see as being burnt out & not thrilled about writing them anymore. Hell, the current showrunner of FG flat-out admitted that a few years ago, which explains the horrible shock humor, lack of any genuine passion, & laziness of the writing.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
YamiGoku
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:41 pm

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by YamiGoku » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:23 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:43 pm
Brikikoz wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:40 pm
Peach wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:44 pm
I'm kind of glad they're moving on. I outgrew Abridged Series years ago.

Did they really want to be doing this into their 40's and 50's, sacrificing professional careers and time with their family? Making one episode can take hundreds to thousands of hours.
What's wrong with doing art into your 40s and 50s?
I love DBZA with all my heart.

But if you told me that it's what I'd be doing into my 40s I'd burn my computer to the ground.
Thanks for all the years of great entertainment!

I dont have money to be a patreon but I'll keep watching the stuff you guys upload because i like you guys and your sense of humor.

Btw, today I watched the last Talkast about Re:mind, I was waiting in case any of you play it, but you are not going to?
I saw a 20 min video of Grant testing audio or something with KH3 on Twitch but nothing more since then.
any chance of you guys playing it, or maybe Grant did a stream and i missed it or something?

if you guys are not going to play it is ok i just want to know so i can go watch it elsewhere, but you guys are my first option if you do it.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:00 am

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by jelleline89 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:57 pm

Pretty sure in #4 when Scott mention strained relationships with other companies, he's talking about FUNimation and the whole incident with the Cell Games Reenactment (Z Kai Final Chapters). After Toei presumably stepped in and had their cameo removed, FUNi has been a lot more cautious about what they can or cannot do (like what happened with Mark de Groot's unused cover for Chouzetsu Dynamic). There was also that incident with TFS with their merchandise at a convention that Toei had them remove (iirc).

All in all, while DBZ made TFS what it is today, Toei's constant issue with them likely played a large part in this decision, especially with their repeated copyright takedowns and the direction YouTube has been going lately. If Toei had made things easier for TFS, I don't think we would be seeing this announcement.

User avatar
TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 366
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:59 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you TFS for 10 years of free laughs. I've laughed harder at this than almost anything I'd seen on TV for years with every new episode. Better to tie up the series while it is still strong (it took them a year to put the final episode) than to get a disappointing conclusion from creatively bankrupt and burnt out writers just for the sake of "completion." No one wins in that scenario.

I'm still holding out for a DBZA: The Final Chapters Grand Comeback in 2029, tho. :lol:

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2713
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:16 pm

jelleline89 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:57 pm
Pretty sure in #4 when Scott mention strained relationships with other companies, he's talking about FUNimation and the whole incident with the Cell Games Reenactment (Z Kai Final Chapters). After Toei presumably stepped in and had their cameo removed, FUNi has been a lot more cautious about what they can or cannot do (like what happened with Mark de Groot's unused cover for Chouzetsu Dynamic). There was also that incident with TFS with their merchandise at a convention that Toei had them remove (iirc).

All in all, while DBZ made TFS what it is today, Toei's constant issue with them likely played a large part in this decision, especially with their repeated copyright takedowns and the direction YouTube has been going lately. If Toei had made things easier for TFS, I don't think we would be seeing this announcement.
Mark de Groot's unused cover? What are you talking about? I know he has one on his YT channel, but I didn't think he made it for FUNi. Just that, apparently, someone made it part of the English dub's audio in some torrents of the BR rips of the episodes. Literally, they didn't use a cover version over the English version that the original singer recorded because, apparently, that singer would rather create his own English version rather than have actual English speakers make one. This is also seen in the other English covers of DB's theme songs, where the Japanese singers didn't mind, so they got their regular VAs & Natewantstobattle to sing them, minus the one from Kai: TFC that was never in Japanese & the various ending songs. You clearly misunderstand what did, or, more likely, didn't, happen there, as there's no proof that they wanted him to produce an English version of the theme song for them as far as I know. Considering Mark's accent, though, I don't really see how his version would be any better to use anyways.

The merch being a problem, I think I remember something about, where they had something that Toei sent them a cease & desist order or something over at a con, but I also remember there being some kind of misunderstanding as well. They can usually sell merch as long as the designs aren't officially from Toei & are fair use in nature, as well as not look like it COULD be official merch.

As for the Cell Games debacle, that was clearly Sabat's fault. He got them to record that back in 2015 & is the dub's main director. As for FUNi as a company, they clearly over-corrected by greylisting them, as Lani put it. However, they clearly pissed off Toei by including them (even though Toei apparently had no problems with Lani & Kaiser being in the One Piece dub, & Res F dub, at points), so I understand the over-correction & hope they'll start casting them again in their dubs, since having Toei dictate who they can & cannot hire for their dubs is insanely stupid & shouldn't stop them from using them for, at least, non-Toei anime dubs in the future.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5828
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:13 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:43 pm
Brikikoz wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:40 pm
Peach wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:44 pm
I'm kind of glad they're moving on. I outgrew Abridged Series years ago.

Did they really want to be doing this into their 40's and 50's, sacrificing professional careers and time with their family? Making one episode can take hundreds to thousands of hours.
What's wrong with doing art into your 40s and 50s?
I love DBZA with all my heart.

But if you told me that it's what I'd be doing into my 40s I'd burn my computer to the ground.
Would it be possible for you guys to release the unfinished stuff you have so far (scripts and ideas for Bojack and the Buu saga?)
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

User avatar
Planetnamek
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:31 pm

I have real mixing feelings about this decision. I get wanting to move on and try new things, but I can't help but be a bit concerned about how well is going to go for TFS in terms of views. I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel at least a little bit led on at times and I can't say i'm happy about being kept in the dark for months about the problems behind the scenes, but i'm not too bitter here. I always liked the Buu saga myself but I get why others don't and I can see how it would be difficult to do a fan-parody of it.

That being said now that TFS has decided to move on(at least for now)from DBZA, there's nothing stopping some other talented individuals out there from trying to do their own takes on the Buu saga, i'm genuinely excited to see what other talented DBZ creators are out there.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

User avatar
Brikikoz
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 209
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:00 pm

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Brikikoz » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:02 pm

Planetnamek wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:31 pm
I have real mixing feelings about this decision. I get wanting to move on and try new things, but I can't help but be a bit concerned about how well is going to go for TFS in terms of views. I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel at least a little bit led on at times and I can't say i'm happy about being kept in the dark for months about the problems behind the scenes, but i'm not too bitter here. I always liked the Buu saga myself but I get why others don't and I can see how it would be difficult to do a fan-parody of it.

That being said now that TFS has decided to move on(at least for now)from DBZA, there's nothing stopping some other talented individuals out there from trying to do their own takes on the Buu saga, i'm genuinely excited to see what other talented DBZ creators are out there.
I doubt anyone will do the Buu saga now; it'll be immediately accused of trying to ripoff TFS and get lots of negative responses.

User avatar
Planetnamek
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:04 pm

Brikikoz wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:02 pm
Planetnamek wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:31 pm
I have real mixing feelings about this decision. I get wanting to move on and try new things, but I can't help but be a bit concerned about how well is going to go for TFS in terms of views. I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel at least a little bit led on at times and I can't say i'm happy about being kept in the dark for months about the problems behind the scenes, but i'm not too bitter here. I always liked the Buu saga myself but I get why others don't and I can see how it would be difficult to do a fan-parody of it.

That being said now that TFS has decided to move on(at least for now)from DBZA, there's nothing stopping some other talented individuals out there from trying to do their own takes on the Buu saga, i'm genuinely excited to see what other talented DBZ creators are out there.
I doubt anyone will do the Buu saga now; it'll be immediately accused of trying to ripoff TFS and get lots of negative responses.
Maybe maybe not, but i'm confident there are a good amount of talented DBZ fans out there who were too afraid to make any content for fear of not being able to top TFS, but now that we know for sure DBZA isn't happening anymore, there's now a giant hole just waiting to be filled.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

User avatar
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 349
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:16 pm

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:14 pm

Planetnamek wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:04 pm
Brikikoz wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:02 pm
Planetnamek wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:31 pm
I have real mixing feelings about this decision. I get wanting to move on and try new things, but I can't help but be a bit concerned about how well is going to go for TFS in terms of views. I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel at least a little bit led on at times and I can't say i'm happy about being kept in the dark for months about the problems behind the scenes, but i'm not too bitter here. I always liked the Buu saga myself but I get why others don't and I can see how it would be difficult to do a fan-parody of it.

That being said now that TFS has decided to move on(at least for now)from DBZA, there's nothing stopping some other talented individuals out there from trying to do their own takes on the Buu saga, i'm genuinely excited to see what other talented DBZ creators are out there.
I doubt anyone will do the Buu saga now; it'll be immediately accused of trying to ripoff TFS and get lots of negative responses.
Maybe maybe not, but i'm confident there are a good amount of talented DBZ fans out there who were too afraid to make any content for fear of not being able to top TFS, but now that we know for sure DBZA isn't happening anymore, there's now a giant hole just waiting to be filled.
Yeah, from what I've seen, people aren't nearly that protective of DBZA anyway. If someone comes around and makes a Buu Era parody I doubt they'll get much hate. Youtuber SBN3 made a few Saiyaman parodies that were pretty well received. The big thing people complained about was how he only uploads once every two months (if that).
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

User avatar
Planetnamek
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:45 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:14 pm
Planetnamek wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:04 pm
Brikikoz wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:02 pm


I doubt anyone will do the Buu saga now; it'll be immediately accused of trying to ripoff TFS and get lots of negative responses.
Maybe maybe not, but i'm confident there are a good amount of talented DBZ fans out there who were too afraid to make any content for fear of not being able to top TFS, but now that we know for sure DBZA isn't happening anymore, there's now a giant hole just waiting to be filled.
Yeah, from what I've seen, people aren't nearly that protective of DBZA anyway. If someone comes around and makes a Buu Era parody I doubt they'll get much hate. Youtuber SBN3 made a few Saiyaman parodies that were pretty well received. The big thing people complained about was how he only uploads once every two months (if that).
Never heard of this person before, thanks for the link

Once every two months does not sound so bad considering how staggered the last few episodes of DBZA were.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

User avatar
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 349
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:16 pm

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:51 pm

Planetnamek wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:45 pm
Never heard of this person before, thanks for the link

Once every two months does not sound so bad considering how staggered the last few episodes of DBZA were.
By once every few months I mean once every few months at all. He does a bunch of parody videos of different animes as well as other skits so often he'll go like a year between updating each series. He's also (judging from his voice acting advice videos) a perfectionist so I'm pretty sure he won't release anything unless he's a hundred percent happy with it. Makes it so even those of us who've been following him for years often miss his newer uploads.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

User avatar
Brikikoz
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 209
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:00 pm

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Brikikoz » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:28 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:14 pm
Yeah, from what I've seen, people aren't nearly that protective of DBZA anyway. If someone comes around and makes a Buu Era parody I doubt they'll get much hate. Youtuber SBN3 made a few Saiyaman parodies that were pretty well received. The big thing people complained about was how he only uploads once every two months (if that).
I just checked him out...it's not bad, but his reliance on South Park-style swearing and offensive jokes every 2 seconds loses humor after the 10th time.

User avatar
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 349
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:16 pm

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:37 pm

Brikikoz wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:28 pm
I just checked him out...it's not bad, but his reliance on South Park-style swearing and offensive jokes every 2 seconds loses humor after the 10th time.
It's not South Park inspired XD

The joke in most of his anime parodies is that they're basically a black version of the show. Which, admittedly, isn't going to do it for everyone.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

User avatar
chickensguys
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:28 pm

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by chickensguys » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:36 pm

So DBZA is finally over.

So many great stories, Gohan in High School, Mr. Satan, Buu, Majin Vegeta, will not be retold. That sucks, I really looked forward to a season 4.

RIP DBZA

Fuck Bojack.

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13995
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:02 pm

I remember they mention that they would end at the Cell saga years ago and most people thought it was a joke. Turns out that they were right.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2713
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:53 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:02 pm
I remember they mention that they would end at the Cell saga years ago and most people thought it was a joke. Turns out that they were right.
It's not that they made a joke of it, it's just that Kaiser said they didn't have any plans passed Cell at the time in one of their Q&As/update videos 10 years ago. Everyone assumed they'd figure it out by the time they finished Cell, but it turns out they couldn't.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Post Reply