choppy playback

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

choppy playback

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:26 pm

Is there anyway to fix this in Virtual Dub? Its really destroying my video.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:36 pm

You REALLY need to define what you're talking about. "Choppy playback" can mean any of a billion different things.

What did you export to? What did you encode to? What's the window size? What's the frame-rate? What's the bit-rate? What are you playing it back in?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:12 pm

VegettoEX wrote: What did you export to? What did you encode to? What's the window size? What's the frame-rate? What's the bit-rate? What are you playing it back in?
:shock: AMV n00b-maker says what? **Raises hand and says "what"**

And here I was thinking I couldn't make an AMV because I don't have the technology. I just don't have the basic knowledge! And the technology! :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:05 pm

Its a divx file and what I mean by choppy is it pixilates or turns into squares at points in the amv. I really dont how else to describe it. I think the main reason its doing it is because i exported it into parts so it would export faster, and then rejoined them with a movie joiner. I think its being compressed too many times. Now, is there anyway to fix that?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:12 pm

OK, that's not "choppy playbck"... that's macroblocking, and it can be attributed to a wide variety of things.

For the first part... I'm fairly sure you're using downloaded footage. Yeah. That's what happens when you re-compress compressed footage. Second, you could probably stand to encode it at a higher bitrate. What window-size and bitrate ARE you encoding at?
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:05 pm

Well it came out at 720x480 and the bit rate is 1024kbps, I'm not sure what it started as. I encoded the video into Divx. And I am using downloaded source material. So if I encode it at a higher bit rate should it fix the problem?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:19 pm

I wouldn't distro in 720x480. That's not a standard 4:3 resolution; it's used for DVD encoding. Go with something like 640x480, 512x384, or 352x240. The smaller it is, the more you can hide the blemishes, kinda, but you're losing some resolution... it's a trade-off you have to work with.

1024 kbps is nothing. In fact, it's below VCD bitrate, and it's DEFINITLY going to show at a higher resolution. You're going to want to AT LEAST push 2000 kbps for online distro.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:17 pm

How do you go about changing the bitrate?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:29 pm

Well, what are you encoding in? VirtualDub, I'd assume? Go to Video >> Compression. Choose your codec. Click "Configure" (or something). Change stuff :P

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:08 pm

I compressed it with Divx and set the kbps to 4000. It still didnt change the problem. Xyex thinks its the kbps of the original clips. Could that be affecting anything?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:28 pm

Well, yeah... you can't magically make things look better than your source material (unless you clean it up before-hand, and even then, unless you're working with straight DVD footage it's never going to look good).

Lesson of the day? Don't use downloaded footage :D.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:11 pm

No it wasnt the source material, it was the kbps of the source material. The material itself plays fine. Unless the footage is from a dvd, do you think this video is doomed from too much compression?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:59 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:No it wasnt the source material, it was the kbps of the source material. The material itself plays fine. Unless the footage is from a dvd, do you think this video is doomed from too much compression?
Nothing you just said made any sense, what-so-ever ^^;;

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:32 pm

Ok ignore that last part, ill explain what i did step by step.

1) I compressed the clips to Divx from OGM "files".
2) I exported the amv in premiere in parts so it would export faster
-they were exported as Divx
3) I rejoined them with a movie joiner/spitter

After the movie joiner is when the amv starts to do that mosaic square thing.

What did i do wrong and how do i fix it?