DragonBall GT Revised [fanfic]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:57 pm

Oh no you don't! This thread will not lapse into dead-ness while I'm around!

... Here, have a probably-way-too-extensive character bio.

SON GOKU
Alignment: Neutral Good
Alias: "Kakarrot"
Race: Saiyan, honorary Earthling
Battle Power: ~120,000,000
Transformations: Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2, Super Saiyan 3
Home: Mt. Paozu, Earth
Occupation: Full-time martial artist, part-time livestock rancher.
Family: ChiChi (wife), Gohan (son), Goten (son), Videl (daughter-in-law), Mr. Satan (brother-in-law), Pan (granddaughter), Gosan (grandson)
Goals: To get stronger and test himself against others.

Techniques:
  • Kamehameha - Though he didn't invent it, Goku has become the undisputed master of this powerful Ki wave attack, the signature technique of the Turtle School.
  • Spirit Bomb - Goku borrows life energy from nature and people around him, and converts it into a massive Ki bomb, often used as a last resort.
  • Kaio-Ken - Goku amplifies his Ki in short bursts to instantly multiply it by varying degrees. It's kind of obsolete compared to the Super Saiyan forms, but still handy in certain situations.
  • Instant Movement - After twenty-something years of practice, Goku has honed this technique to the point where he can teleport people and things without having to go along with them. He still needs to lock onto a large or familiar Ki, though.
  • Dragon Fist - Goku draws upon a mysterious, unknown power to generate a massive, all-encompassing attack far more powerful than himself. Another last-ditch technique reserved for desperate situations.
Bio: The same carefree, good-natured Goku. Ever since the defeat of Majin Boo almost 20 years ago, he has enjoyed a peaceful life, spending most of his time training or having fun with his friends and family. He and ChiChi run a humble livestock ranch on their land in Mt. Paozu, the profits from which manage to be enough to keep them fed and happy. A master of martial arts, he has Pan and Oob as his regular students.

However, things recently took a turn for the topsy-turvy for Goku when in a daring attempt to usurp the power of the Dragon Balls, the bumbling and somehow-still-alive Emperor Pilaf inadvertently wished for Goku to be returned to childhood. Very little seems to have changed for Goku but his size, but time will tell what other complications this brings...

--------------
... Yeah, in case you can't tell, my Goku doesn't start off too different from his normal-GT self. This won't necessarily hold true for other characters in the future, though.

Anyhoo, Chapter "14" is several pages long already and progressing swimmingly. The next major chapter update will seem a little weird, but I think you guys will like it. I'll make sure to keep posting this kind of stuff until it's done, though.
Last edited by Kaboom on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:09 pm

Nice Bio. I can't wait to see some for Slug and the others.

The alignment stuff has got me thinking about D&D though...
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:35 pm

IncompetentOverlord wrote:Nice Bio. I can't wait to see some for Slug and the others.

The alignment stuff has got me thinking about D&D though...
That's EXACTLY what I thought.

I think I see some d20s rolling in your future, Kaboom... some at your head if necessary. :twisted:
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:39 am

I don't get it. Are you taking note of Son Goku as he was before he had that little accident as an infant?

Nice bio and great little drawing. I find the job of livestock rancher an interesting choice of occupation for Goku and Chi Chi. The latest anime special showed them as small time farmers but I could just see Son Goku as a cowboy. :lol:

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:14 pm

I was wondering where exactly you get all of the name puns for the characters that are exclusive to your story are. I can tell where a few of them come from, like the Saiyans for instance, but a lot I haven't got a clue where they came from. Do you maybe have a list of the name puns?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:23 pm

Maphisto86 wrote:

I don't get it. Are you taking note of Son Goku as he was before he had that little accident as an infant?
The "alignment" thing originates from, as far as I know, Dungeons and Dragons. It's used to place just where a character stands on the moral map and for what reasons. It's common to see it displayed as a chart, like my personal favorite here.

Goku is listed as "Neutral Good" because while he sure as heck doesn't let someone get away with doing evil while he's around, he typically doesn't do it because of any loyalty to the law or other authority. His motive for fighting evil is little more than, "hey, that's bad! Knock it off!"

Whereas Gohan as Saiyaman would be the "Lawful Good" because he's a do-gooder who works with the police (his wife, in particular), and Pan would be considered "Chaotic Good" because she mostly sees fighting crime as an excuse to beat people up (like in Chapter 6).

Kiyza wrote:I was wondering where exactly you get all of the name puns for the characters that are exclusive to your story are. I can tell where a few of them come from, like the Saiyans for instance, but a lot I haven't got a clue where they came from. Do you maybe have a list of the name puns?
Well like the manga, I just pick a theme, make up some puns, and roll with it. Obviously the Saiyans are vegetable-themed, and my "resource" for coming up with their names is little more than just this Wikipedia page.

The Namekian theme is slugs n' snails. Most of their names are derived from just the words for "slug" or "snail" in various languages. "Makigai," the capitol city, is the Japanese word for a snail's shell.

The Namek arc's anti-heroine, Shio, appropriately gets her name from the Japanese word for salt. Which goes along with her husband's name, Zalt, and her planet, Sodius.

DragonBall-universe names are the easiest things to come up with, ever. You just pick a theme, pick a word, substitute a letter or rearrange some syllables, and you're good.
deviantART
[thread]

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:57 am

"Makigai" means a snail's shell. I should have known! :lol:

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:32 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:DragonBall-universe names are the easiest things to come up with, ever. You just pick a theme, pick a word, substitute a letter or rearrange some syllables, and you're good.
Wow. I guess it IS easy. It's strange that so many fanfic writers just can't seem to get it right. Every time I see an OC named Charlie Stabbington or some shit like that it makes me want to throw up.
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:38 pm

IncompetentOverlord wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:DragonBall-universe names are the easiest things to come up with, ever. You just pick a theme, pick a word, substitute a letter or rearrange some syllables, and you're good.
Wow. I guess it IS easy. It's strange that so many fanfic writers just can't seem to get it right. Every time I see an OC named Charlie Stabbington or some shit like that it makes me want to throw up.
Charlie Stabbington is such a nice guy. Whatever is the matter with him? :wink: :lol:

The only problem with Dragonball names is that once you started a theme for a certain type of character (Saiyans= vegetables, Namekians= snails & slugs, The Briefs = well you know), you have to continue the trend. The more characters, the harder it is to come up with good names for them. Still, it is pretty easy once you find out all of the ways you refer to the item in each naming trope.

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:28 pm

Maphisto86 wrote:
IncompetentOverlord wrote:
Charlie Stabbington is such a nice guy. Whatever is the matter with him? :wink: :lol:

The only problem with Dragonball names is that once you started a theme for a certain type of character (Saiyans= vegetables, Namekians= snails & slugs, The Briefs = well you know), you have to continue the trend. The more characters, the harder it is to come up with good names for them. Still, it is pretty easy once you find out all of the ways you refer to the item in each naming trope.
Perhaps they could also try languages other than Japanese and English. Like one of those random fighters at the later Tenkaichi Budokais could be named Merde(The french word for shit, to denote that he's a shitty fighter).

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:51 pm

Hehe, Merde would be great Dragonball name. :lol: Buu's ugly cousin maybe?

Anyway, the climax of this part of the story is killing me. I really do look forward to what happens next. How the Planet Namek was devastated and Piccolo/Kami's past is one of those mysteries that Mr. Toriyama left his readers to ponder about.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:14 pm

Okay guys, here's some more stuff. STUFF.

First off, another character bio. This time, Pan!

PAN

Alignment: Chaotic Good
Race: 1/4 Saiyan, 3/4 Human
Battle Power: ~2,000,000
Home: Satan City, Earth
Family: Gohan (father), Videl (mother), Gosan (brother), Goku (grandfather), ChiChi (grandmother), Goten (uncle), Mr. Satan (grandfather), Ox-King (great-granfather, possibly deceased [I haven't decided yet!])
Goals: To become strong and dependable like her dad and grandpa, and find a boyfriend who doesn't mind her power.

Techniques:
  • Kamehameha - Simple fact of the matter, if you train under or with Goku, you learn the Kamehameha eventually.
  • Masenko - Likewise, she's picked up this old-school blast attack from her father and Piccolo.
  • ThunderClap - An attack devised by Pan herself that's very hard to avoid. She spreads her arms wide, charges up some volatile Ki energy in each hand, and slaps them together releasing a wide shockwave of explosive energy.
Bio: Pan has matured into a young teenager since we last saw her at the end of DragonBall Z. Her personality is a mix of her father's carefree naivety and her mother's spunk. She's very independent and tomboyish, but with a good amount of girlish charm trying to work its way to the surface every so often.

Training under her grandfather Goku semi-regularly since she was young has paid off for Pan, and she's a force to be reckoned with. Pan's martial arts style is a unique mix of kame school forms and unconventional street brawling. Unfortunately for Pan, she got shafted in the "Super Saiyan heritage" department, thanks to the rearrangement of her father's power by Old Kaioshin long before she was conceived. If she ever wants to become a Super Saiyan, she's probably going to have to reach it the old-fashioned way...
----------
Yep. Pan. I've tried to wipe all memory of the original-GT Pan from my brain. So aside from being a few years older, I'm couldn't say how much or in what ways my version really differs.

I'm trying to rake together something else to post tonight or sometime tomorrow. What it is, I don't know yet. Chapter "14" is still coming along nicely, too. I want to have it up by the new year.
Last edited by Kaboom on Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
deviantART
[thread]

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:16 am

I like how in this drawing of Pan you gave her hair a slight spikyness to it that she seems to lack in GT. Nice way to show her human and saiyan sides in one glance. Really liking your rendition of Pan as you wrote her in the story. :)

Xyex
I Live Here

Re: DragonBall GT: Revised

Post by Xyex » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:10 am

On the subject of theme names, Dragonball's naming scheme is both a blessing and a curse. As Maphisto pointed out, once you start a naming convention for a group it becomes harder and harder to add more people over time. Take the Saiya-jins in my AH series. Saiya-jins as vegetables offers a decent pool of words to use but not really enough for a whole race, thus why I split them into veggies (male) and fruits (female).

Naming Namekians. Namekians are very limited in options for names. We've seen enough of their race to know that their names are ALL related to the same theme (where as you have a variety with humans). Changelings, on the other hand, leaves things open more since we've only ever seen the Cold Family with them, thus others could have a different naming scheme.

But, really, Kaboom is right. As long as you have enough foresight to know how many of said race will be appearing/mentioned in a story naming for them isn't too hard, you just pick a theme that's got enough options. And, technically, you don't even have to alter the words. I've got a Faith, Hope, Valor, Serenity, Zeal, and Gallant in one fic.

Plus there's no reason not to use the same word, altered differently, for different names. For just Tomato you've got the Toma from the series and then I've come up with: Tatamo, Matato, Tamayto, Tumyto, Tomawta, Amato, and Omatat~
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:37 am

Huh, after both SSj Kaboom and Xyex ryhmed off a couple "Saiyanesque" names, it really isn't as hard as I thought it would be. :oops: *shrug* Guess I am not original enough to be as wonderfully unoriginal as Toriyama-sensei . :lol:

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:20 am

And I just went to Babelfish and typed in some slug and snail-related words and tore things out of the results for various european languages. Meh...

Actually, I've found it difficult to make sense of the puns on the Saiyan names... :oops: Can't figure out Zunime at all.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:13 am

caejones wrote:And I just went to Babelfish and typed in some slug and snail-related words and tore things out of the results for various european languages. Meh...
That's exactly what I did for the Namekian names. :lol:
Actually, I've found it difficult to make sense of the puns on the Saiyan names... :oops: Can't figure out Zunim at all.
... I kinda forget what 'Zunim' is a pun on too. I think it was something obscure. As for the rest:

Beat - The (not-so-)humble beet is the answer to all riddles.
Kale - Named after kale. No spelling-change, but it's a pretty obscure veggie.
Pinach - He's strong to the finish, 'cuz he's named for spinach.
Barus - I'm pretty sure he just got his name from from asparagus. Though it might have been something more obscure which escapes me at present.
Kob - Named from corn, more specifically on the cob. I've seen this name used a lot in DB fanfiction, so I guess it's kind of a "standard." Every writer must have at least one Saiyan named this.
deviantART
[thread]

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:45 am

I could have sworn that you posted the explanations of the Saiyan names either in this thread or on your story at fanfiction.net. :|

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:20 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:... I kinda forget what 'Zunim' is a pun on too. I think it was something obscure.
I always kind of thought that it had something to do with Zucchini. I dunno. :shock:
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:34 am

Eureka!

I went back and scanned through my reference list, and I'm pretty sure I named Zunim after Mizuna greens.

Anyway, I'll make sure to have another character Bio up tomorrow (It's Goten's turn, I believe), and hopefully some other stuff along with it.
deviantART
[thread]