DragonBall GT Revised [fanfic]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaboom

Re: DragonBall GT Revised [fanfic]

Post by Kaboom » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:46 pm

It's ALIIIIIIVE~!

It's a new year, full of new beginnings, new invigoration, and new opportunities to make some genuine progress on personal projects. This is the year I hope to breathe some new life into GT Revised and return it to its former glory from, like, 2012.

So here's some re-written old stuff!

GT Revised Chapter 2 (Redux) - "One Flew Over"
[ Read/Download ]
GT Revised Chapter 3 (Redux) - "Lost And Found"
[ Read/Download ]

What's that? TWO chapters in one update? There'd better damn well be, with how long it's been! They're each a little shorter than usual, but there's only so much I can add to these early chapters without drastically changing the lineup, or borrowing too heavily from other chapters.

One thing I have done, though, is started making sure these chapters are consistently formatted in terms of font, spacing, and general layout. It won't really matter for the FanFiction.net postings, but it'll definitely be noticeable in the prettier downloadable versions. Chapter 1 has already been updated in this way, and I'll gradually be applying the same thing to all existent and future chapters, and updating links accordingly.

Unfortunately, I don't have any art to offer right this moment. I have a somewhat larger piece planned out to cover these multiple early rewrites, but it's been delayed on account of my apparently totally forgetting how to draw some characters because it's been so freakin' long. Then when I started digging out old sketches for reference, I discovered that a lot of my design elements have even ended up crisscrossed between different characters. It's a mess. So I kind of have to hold off on doing the big collage piece I want until I have all those ducks in a row. I can just provide a small preview in the meantime, and try to get back in the groove of showing off sketches and bios and other stuff between chapters.

To end on a more serious note... 2014 was a totally SUCKY year for me, as some of y'all may have seen me express on Twitter. I'm not going to share my misery with any details, but let's just say that my circumstance-burdened mental state has not been conducive to being creative. Even though I finished Chapter 2R in, like, September, it took me ages just to get it proofread, though I somehow miraculously managed to churn out 3R along with it.

Things are looking up for 2015 in a variety of ways, though. I'm taking another whack at the "one GTR chapter per month" thing and hoping for the best. The non-rewrite Chapter 18, a "meanwhile back on Earth" story featuring Piccolo and Goten, is still roughly 1/4 done, having taken a back seat to the unexpectedly arduous task of organizing and executing the rewrites. But I've got things figured out and a good rhythm going for those, so hopefully they won't be as much of a burden from here on out. Chapter 19 after that is going to be another such chapter that functions as a follow-up in some ways, while 20 will wrap up "Volume 2" with a short but sweet story about Goku and company getting another Dragon Ball.

Here's hoping! As always, if there's anything you'd like to see, ask away.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

SSJ YUSUKE
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ YUSUKE » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:40 am

Glad to see that this is back!

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:28 am

Kaboom wrote:It's ALIIIIIIVE~!

It's a new year, full of new beginnings, new invigoration, and new opportunities to make some genuine progress on personal projects. This is the year I hope to breathe some new life into GT Revised and return it to its former glory from, like, 2012.
Hallelujah!

So, I really loved the rewrite - especially the streamlining and explaining of all the unexplained stuff - if i remember correctly the scene with Goku, Uub and Pan
and the one with Piccolo
weren't there originally and they fit perfectly explaining stuff the scenarists of GT didn't bother to include.

<wishful thinking> How much I'd love to see it turned into a manga... </wishful thinking>

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:06 pm

Tzigi wrote:<wishful thinking> How much I'd love to see it turned into a manga... </wishful thinking>
You and me both.
deviantART
[thread]

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:26 pm

MY WISH HAS BEEN GRANTED... UNTIL THE NEXT SUMMONING...

Ahh, I'm so glad it's still moving forward.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:11 pm

To prove I'm still actually working on stuff, here's those character design concept sketches I was talking about. Or at least, these are the mostly-final results of the tinkering.
It's mostly the ladies, of course, as since most of them aren't fighters, I don't end up doodling them very often. I've ended up just embracing the original GT designs for a few of them (like Chichi, and also Palace to an extent), but for the most part they're still original designs. Some of them will have different looks after a planned small timeskip after Baby, too.

The one character I'm kind of still struggling with is Marron. She's going to matter just a teensy bit more in GTR than she did in GT, so I really want to have a design for her that stands out. But the design I'd settled on and which is included above looks a little too much like Bulma, 18, and even Trunks for my taste now. So I've been fiddling with her original GT hair design too, seeing if I can figure out how to make it pop a bit more. I think I'm on the right track.
In the meantime, I'm still plugging away at Chapter 18, having needed to re-collect my notes and refocus my brain after so much of my attention was dominated by getting the rewrites all lined up. Hopefully I can finish that, and maybe 4R along with it, by the end of the month.
deviantART
[thread]

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:38 pm

I'm actually sort of jealous of your Marron design on the first page - I wish I'd been able to imagine up something that different and fitting looking to have in mind while working on my fic (which I also need to get back to work on...*crickets chirp*), instead of just pretty much imagining her actual GT design, more or less.

That second page of Marron designs though...is looking kind of familiar. Hmm...! You wouldn't happen to have seen Kenichi the Mightiest Disciple before, have you?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:08 am

I tried kind of combining my previous original look for Marron with her normal GT design. I think I'm on to something here.
Single ponytail or twin pigtails? Think I'm leaning towards the latter — it's insanely cute, and a handful of my other female characters are already sporting a single ponytail in some form or another.
Gyt Kaliba wrote:That second page of Marron designs though...is looking kind of familiar. Hmm...! You wouldn't happen to have seen Kenichi the Mightiest Disciple before, have you?
I've read the first dozen or so chapters, but it was so long ago that I doubt Miu would have influenced any of my current GTR designs. If anything, she looks more like a blonde version of GT Videl.
deviantART
[thread]

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:35 am

HEY! :wtf: Glad to see some updates to this fan fiction. :clap: With all the crap you have had to deal with this past year I wondered if Dragon Ball GT Revised was on permanent hiatus. I appreciate the need to recharge creatively and appreciate even these revisions and sketches every once and awhile.
Kaboom wrote:I tried kind of combining my previous original look for Marron with her normal GT design. I think I'm on to something here.
Single ponytail or twin pigtails? Think I'm leaning towards the latter — it's insanely cute, and a handful of my other female characters are already sporting a single ponytail in some form or another.
Hmm I still think the twin pony tails are characteristic of Marron. Videl no longer sports them and while Marron had them as a kid and early teen I think the second and last sketches suit the more mature, grown up Marron.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:42 pm

I finally checked out the rereads and I am particularly not fond of the sudden Tenkaichi Budokai jump. I was reading then suddenly Pan vs Vegeta. I was so caught off guard I had to make sure I didn't miss something somehow. Also not fond of Oob apparently causing the death's of people by accident just being brushed aside cause of dragon balls. I don't think that kind of issue should go away. Still I really enjoyed what I read and I really like how the focus is shared among the cast. It felt like I was reading a bunch of stories rolled into one.

0/10 Too much lack of brain dead Broly.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:10 pm

Maphisto86 wrote:Hmm I still think the twin pony tails are characteristic of Marron. Videl no longer sports them and while Marron had them as a kid and early teen I think the second and last sketches suit the more mature, grown up Marron.
Good point. I guess maybe I've been subconsciously thinking the same way about it. Pigtails are almost Marron's trademarks as much as the dimension-warping spikes for Goku. This "combined"
dbzfan7 wrote:I finally checked out the rereads and I am particularly not fond of the sudden Tenkaichi Budokai jump. I was reading then suddenly Pan vs Vegeta. I was so caught off guard I had to make sure I didn't miss something somehow. Also not fond of Oob apparently causing the death's of people by accident just being brushed aside cause of dragon balls. I don't think that kind of issue should go away. Still I really enjoyed what I read and I really like how the focus is shared among the cast. It felt like I was reading a bunch of stories rolled into one.
I guess I see what you mean about the Chapter 1R transition being jarring, but it was kind of meant to be that way, at least a little. I still made sure to have Pan's thoughts dwelling on the Tenkaichi Budokai in both instances, to connect them. Same thing with the wish to undo the mayhem Oob accidentally caused; It's almost like the overly casual usage of the Dragon Balls could be a crucial plot element later, or something. :wink:

As for Broli... it won't be long until it's Chapter 7's turn for a rewrite.
deviantART
[thread]

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:57 pm

Kaboom wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:I finally checked out the rereads and I am particularly not fond of the sudden Tenkaichi Budokai jump. I was reading then suddenly Pan vs Vegeta. I was so caught off guard I had to make sure I didn't miss something somehow. Also not fond of Oob apparently causing the death's of people by accident just being brushed aside cause of dragon balls. I don't think that kind of issue should go away. Still I really enjoyed what I read and I really like how the focus is shared among the cast. It felt like I was reading a bunch of stories rolled into one.

I guess I see what you mean about the Chapter 1R transition being jarring, but it was kind of meant to be that way, at least a little. I still made sure to have Pan's thoughts dwelling on the Tenkaichi Budokai in both instances, to connect them. Same thing with the wish to undo the mayhem Oob accidentally caused; It's almost like the overly casual usage of the Dragon Balls could be a crucial plot element later, or something. :wink:

As for Broli... it won't be long until it's Chapter 7's turn for a rewrite.
Still felt a bit weird at least to me as it felt so random. No one seemed to mention any interest in going and it just suddenly happened. Woulda also liked to have read about the previous bouts, but yeah that would take up too much time I'd bet. I only remembered it was gonna happened since in the original they went to the tournament.

Well I figured the way it was written something was up, but it's like that whole issue was just forgotten. I'd be pretty scared if I killed a bunch of people because of an accident. Revived afterward or not.

And then he goes on to save the universe because his power is maximum, and then Gogeta kicks him in the balls cause he's nothing special. He's a poet and looks damn good in a suit.

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:24 pm

Kaboom wrote:
Maphisto86 wrote:Hmm I still think the twin pony tails are characteristic of Marron. Videl no longer sports them and while Marron had them as a kid and early teen I think the second and last sketches suit the more mature, grown up Marron.
Good point. I guess maybe I've been subconsciously thinking the same way about it. Pigtails are almost Marron's trademarks as much as the dimension-warping spikes for Goku. This "combined".
I also happen to like Marron's choice of hats. :oops: Wonder what you will do with her and other character's appearances going forward. I gotta re-read your revised chapters!
dbzfan7 wrote:And then he goes on to save the universe because his power is maximum, and then Gogeta kicks him in the balls cause he's nothing special. He's a poet and looks damn good in a suit.[img]Awesome%20image%20here[/img]
Oh man that fan art is awesome. :lol: Wish I could find out who actually did this.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:36 pm

Maphisto86 wrote:I also happen to like Marron's choice of hats. :oops: Wonder what you will do with her and other character's appearances going forward. I gotta re-read your revised chapters!
Having Marron constantly change hats like Bulma changes hairstyles sounds like a pretty good idea, actually.

Anyway, small status updates... Chapters 18 and 4R are steadily falling together. I got two chapters published in January, and I'm hoping I can put out two in February as well. In the meantime, suggestions for doodles and stuff are always welcome.
deviantART
[thread]

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:22 pm

Emp. Pilaf is so funny in GT revised!
And I like the official art for it too.
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:35 pm

Ree wrote:Emp. Pilaf is so funny in GT revised!
And I like the official art for it too.
Thanks. I try my best in both the character and art departments.

I know it's been a while since I last updated, but I haven't given up or anything. Life has just been getting in the way more than usual, is all. Chapters 4R and 18 are both half-complete and each just one creative burst away from being finished.
deviantART
[thread]

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:34 am

Which version is the updated one? the version I read is from fan fiction.net
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:21 pm

Ree wrote:Which version is the updated one? the version I read is from fan fiction.net
No, I've only posted the updated/rewritten early chapters here so far. You can find them with some digging through the last half-dozen or so pages, but I should probably add links to them to the contents on the first page too. I'm holding off on posting them to FF.net until they're all done, so there won't be a big jarring and confusing jump from the rewrites to the old ones.
deviantART
[thread]

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:47 pm

Wen Broli? He's star and everyone knows it from that special chapter.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:31 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:Wen Broli? He's star and everyone knows it from that special chapter.
Don't worry, he'll soon reappear... in the rewrite of Chapter 7. Along with a very special guest appearance by someone ELSE who won't ever show up in the proper main story.
deviantART
[thread]