Is anyone annoyed that the revival happened?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Is anyone annoyed that the revival happened?

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:21 pm

Again, I don’t consider the stuff we got in between 1997 and 2013 as part of the revival. Most of the stuff released at that point were just retellings of the story, and the few things we got that were original stories (the Jump Special and Episode of Bardock) were pretty inconsequential one-offs. BoG marked the beginning of the Super era, which is why I personally consider it to be the start of the revival period. People are welcome to disagree with me, but that’s how I would personally define it.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:18 pm

With my previous comment, I guess I should have clarified that even though Z ended in 1996 and GT started right afterward, I consider Dragon Ball's original run in Japan+airing in the US in the late 90s-early 00s as one big period in time for the fandom. That's why I don't consider any of it's early run on Toonami a revival, as Dragon Ball was already a hot item at the time.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:01 am

Well, if the question is "you are annoyed that the revival happened?" then the answer is no. Modern Dragon Ball have his problems but is really fun to watch.

But if the question is "someone is annoyed that the revival happened?" then the answer is yes. From what I've seen, usually hardcore GT fans and/or excessively nostalgic Z fans have some really negative (and salty) opinions about what DB is now.

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by KingVegetto » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:42 pm

Definitely not annoyed no, I think Super is perfectly fine, it never hits the heights of Z but I wasn't expecting it to.

BladeXRG

Post by BladeXRG » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:04 pm

No, I'm annoyed by stuff regarding it, but not the revival of the series itself.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:05 am

I’m more annoyed by the handling of it

The by the seat of your pants writing in the arcs

The the severe lack of direction & planning kills Super more than anything.Are we trying to get to EOZ or past it. Maybe stay in the 10 year loop where no one progresses? Who knows?

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:37 am

In the past I would have given a firm yes, today it's half and half.

On the one hand, yes, I'm annoyed that Dragon Ball can't simply be over and done with and has to be yet another franchise overmilked past its natural end point; and as others have said, most of what we've gotten hasn't been good enough to justify its existence.

But on the other hand, we've gotten some genuinely good Dragon Ball video games that likely wouldn't have existed without the revival; and there are elements of the revival that I've grown to appreciate on some level (Beerus, the multiverse concept, Zamasu, Jiren, Moro), even if some of those ideas weren't executed to their full potential (not unlike GT). Hell, the aforementioned video games have even gotten me used to Super Saiyan Blue enough to where seeing it no longer elicits an instant negative reaction in me (though I would still take Super Saiyan 4 over it any day).

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:27 am

I am VERY grateful that the revival happened with lots of extremely interesting material that keeps me fascinated with the franchise and expands it, making it more fascinating than ever! Once there's no new elements added, anything gets dead and you leave it behind because there's simply nothing to go back to.

If the revival had just been like Dragon Ball Heroes, I wouldn't have been happy, its style is not what I want from Dragon Ball, as it reminds me more of a "fan mods" festival with a messy story that's hard to keep track of (for me).

But on the contrary, Dragon Ball Super does what I want: it continues the story naturally, step by step, in a streamlined way that clearly defines what's in its continuity and excludes all elements that are not part of it (the DBZ movies, GT, fillers...). It takes the Dragon Ball we know and expands it, gradually introducing new characters, new stories, new info about the world, new lore, new investigations about what's going on, new forms, outdated characters being rehabilitated and reinvented to fit in nowadays, things that are layed out so they can be used a few arcs later, callbacks to the original events with corrections for coherency (retroactively slightly enhancing the original material with little touches of extra depth)...

I am more fascinated by Dragon Ball than ever nowadays, it gets more and more "complete" and without the revival, it wouldn't have happened, I would have forgotten it because there would be nothing new since I saw Kid Boo being defeated and Goku leaving with Oob when I was still a child (a time period I still don't want to see today).

I get more of what I love in a more-than-decent way (although clearly perfectible on some aspects), and I'm grateful for that.
Hooked on the Granolah arc right now, just like I was hooked for the Moro arc before that, the Broly movie before that, the Tournament of Power before that, the Zamasu arc before that...

REALLY thankful for what we've got and always curious to see what's next.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:31 pm

The revival is wonderful and I'm enjoying the new content. Broly's reimagining was well done in my opinion. But Dragonball is part of a larger trend of companies making money off nostalgia.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:46 pm

I'm happy with the new stuff that we are getting and I still love Super despite the flaws that it had. The forums were not even dead before 2012 when BOG was first announced. You have plenty of topics that people were talking about before BOG came out.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:03 pm

Yes and no, but mostly yes. Like others have said, there are individual bits and pieces of new lore and material introduced since 2013 that I really like. But they're few and far between, and overall I feel like the bad faaaar outweighs the good. As the "main product" through most of this, Super's existence generally feels soulless and extraneous to me, and IMO things would have been better off in a cutting-losses kind of way if it never happened. At the most, I feel like we should have just kept getting a new movie every few years instead.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:19 pm

I was. I liked my bit of nostalgia in a little box that I could open whenever I want. I didn't want to collect anime and manga as a full-fledged adult. I knew that I wouldn't have the time to really enjoy it. I also felt like a piece of my memories would be nullified, as it wiped out GT.

But, I pretty much enjoy it. I'm a much more casual viewer who's not obsessing the details and whatnot. I think that on the superficial surface, it's good enough for me to casually enjoy it as mindless fun that harks back to something I've loved in my life. I think that checking my nostalgia at the door was the key.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:20 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:19 pm I knew that I wouldn't have the time to really enjoy it. I also felt like a piece of my memories would be nullified, as it wiped out GT.
It’s true. As soon as Super was announced Shueisha sent their men to every Dragon Ball fans home and destroyed all their GT merchandise and dvds and vhs and wiped out any episode’s they had own their hard drive. They then wiped out all memories Men in Black style. In fact, I’m confused about what we’re talking about right now. What’s a GT?

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:36 pm

Weirdly enough, it was Super that encouraged me to finally check out GT (apart from A Hero's Legacy, which I had watched years before). That's not necessarily a credit to Super or a discredit to GT (if anything, it's more of the opposite, although I like both overall)...that's just the way it ended up happening.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:53 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:20 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:19 pm I knew that I wouldn't have the time to really enjoy it. I also felt like a piece of my memories would be nullified, as it wiped out GT.
It’s true. As soon as Super was announced Shueisha sent their men to every Dragon Ball fans home and destroyed all their GT merchandise and dvds and vhs and wiped out any episode’s they had own their hard drive. They then wiped out all memories Men in Black style. In fact, I’m confused about what we’re talking about right now. What’s a GT?
Oh, come on. You know what I mean. GT became obsolete and would not be talked about, mentioned, promoted, or remembered by the series in any way. Essentially, the story didn't happen and the 18 (?) years of having GT's continuity, figuring it in, purchasing their releases, kind of becomes less than. They spent years selling GT to us only to make it meaningless (like Funimation did with their own dub when Kai was coming out). It almost flaunts how much of a sucker you are for supporting it.

It was just blatant. I understand why Super didn't take place after GT. But right from the start, the story made GT's existence in the continuity impossible. It was hard enough being a GT fan where everyone ripped it apart... and then seemed like the creators and gatekeepers of the series put the final nail in the coffin.

Again, I'm over it at this point, but that was my feeling back then.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:56 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:53 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:20 pm
Oh, come on. You know what I mean. GT became obsolete and would not be talked about, mentioned, promoted, or remembered by the series in any way. Essentially, the story didn't happen and the 18 (?) years of having GT's continuity, figuring it in, purchasing their releases, kind of becomes less than. They spent years selling GT to us only to make it meaningless (like Funimation did with their own dub when Kai was coming out). It almost flaunts how much of a sucker you are for supporting it.

It was just blatant. I understand why Super didn't take place after GT. But right from the start, the story made GT's existence in the continuity impossible. It was hard enough being a GT fan where everyone ripped it apart... and then seemed like the creators and gatekeepers of the series put the final nail in the coffin.

Again, I'm over it at this point, but that was my feeling back then.
While Super did "kill" any chance of GT being part of the main continuity, the revival ended up benefiting GT in other ways. It produced videogames such as XV or Heroes were GT characters, and specially SS4 have gotten a lot of screentime.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:17 pm

They just gave us a new version of Super Saiyan 4 in the Limit Break characters in Super Dragon Ball Heroes. GT is getting more love now than it did in the mid-2000s.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:41 pm

The idea of “I can’t enjoy this now that it’s not part of the main timeline” has always been ridiculous.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:54 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:41 pm The idea of “I can’t enjoy this now that it’s not part of the main timeline” has always been ridiculous.
Fan fiction authors have been getting their Kirk/Spock fix since the 1960s by just making the shit they want to read and see in the world. I really wish fandom wasn't so historically illiterate about our history and potential in that regard, because while I agree that I want even more from the IP holders, like...you can just make it yourself or find it out on the internet.

We're like the Stark reactors, we sustain ourselves.

Hey, what's with the Vaudeville Hook, y'all?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:10 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:41 pm The idea of “I can’t enjoy this now that it’s not part of the main timeline” has always been ridiculous.
I don't understand the over-fixation on "canon" in general in any fandom. I don't need a company telling me what I can or can't enjoy because of how "important" it is.