Nothing to gain from DBE?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:47 pm

Bussani wrote:
Chuquita wrote:To compare to Transformers, I do like a few of the spin-offs for Tenchi. (I liked Universe, the manga series by Hitoshi Okuda, Movies 1 and 3, and the original Pretty Sammy--the old one with Pixy Misa, not the new one with the random group of girls :p ) .
There's actually 3 Pretty Sammy series; the OVA, a TV series called Magical Project S and the new one with the other girls. But yeah, random tidbit.
I guess if I get to the very root of it, my biggest issue is what DBE's changed Goku into; or tried to make Goku out to be. They've made him insecure and given him identity issues up the wazoo, and I'm not happy with that.

One of my very first introductions to Dragon Ball was of Goku pulling multiple bad-ass moments fighting Jeice and Burter while rescuing Gohan, Kuririn, and Vegeta from the battlefield. Seeing this whiny "he wants to be normal and get the girl" character that Chatku is really irritates me by comparision.
Hehe. That's fair enough. Different people have different reasons for liking a show, like I said before. I guess what I like about Dragon Ball is less to do with the characters themselves and more with...I dunno, the overall theme and style? Although I do love Kid Goku.

Quite honestly it looks like the movie doesn't have the characters or the style though. I'm giving it a chance, but I'm fairly sure at this point that I'll just forget about it and go back to reading the manga like I always do.

I forgot about the Pretty Sammy OVA. ^^; I think I liked it.

But Magical Project S is the one I'm thinking about. It was insanely difficult to track down, but it was an enjoyable spin-off. X3

Yeah, with DB it's all about the characters for me. I don't think "DB High School" would even bother me all that much if they had kept Goku and Chi-Chi in character. It's the OOC-ness that drives me mad, not the location. ^^;
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:50 am

Bussani wrote:
Victator Supreme wrote:Your dollars will tell them to continue in that direction. I had planned on downloading it but its not even worth my bandwidth.
God this 'don't go or they'll get money' thing is ridiculous.
They will get money and encouragement to make another movie. With enough drops you get an ocean.
You should illegally download it just so they don't get your money?
You missed a very importent part.
its not even worth my bandwidth.
I'm going to send it to the corn field in my mind. Anybody else wants to support it, then its on their head when a shitty sequal comes out.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:09 am

Victator Supreme wrote:
God this 'don't go or they'll get money' thing is ridiculous.
They will get money and encouragement to make another movie. With enough drops you get an ocean.
I understood your point, I just disagree with your resolve.
You should illegally download it just so they don't get your money?
You missed a very importent part.
Sigh. No, I did not. I wasn't replying directly to you, was I? I was speaking in general; if you want to see it out of curiosity, but don't want to pay for it, how would you see it? Illegal download. It was a logical conclusion, not a jab at you.

But for that matter, all you said was that you wouldn't waste the bandwidth. That's not the same as saying, "I wouldn't download it." But whatever.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:42 am

I can't say I agree with the idea of watching it online. :?
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:19 am

I would encourage anyone curious about seeing the train wreck to download it rather than give Fox money.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:02 am

Well that Ka-Me-Ha-Me-Ha game made me dust off my Wii. Which is good, since I'm allergic to dust. So, atleast I can say that DB:E saved me a great deal of discomfort, and likely breathing problems. :D

And hell, I could use another PSP game.

I'd also love to see another person's take on Toriyama's manga. American comic books do this all the time, but we hardly ever see this happen to Japanese ones. And now we finally have a shot in a decently budgeted live action movie.
Bussani wrote: Take Transformers Animated for instance. Me and my friend are the biggest Transformers fans you'll find. We love G1 (the original series) and found a lot of the Japanese spinoffs to be terrible. But we kind of like Animated. It has little nods to the fans of the originals and even though it's quite different, it feels like it has the spirit of the original. It's still not perfect and we still like our cheesy G1 better, but we appreciate Animated for trying to do something new with the concept and at least being interesting in it's own way.
Completely off topic:

G1's Japanese spinoffs are pretty horrible, except maybe Victory. I liked Car Robots, and The Unicron Trillogy. Beast Wars/Beasties is my love. The Japanese spinoffs of BW are hilarious though.

And gawd. Transformers Animated Season Three definately started with a bang. It impressed me. Which surprises, because I really was not feeling Animated. (God awful character designs will do that to you)
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:03 pm

Beast Wars continues to ironically be the best Transformers content out there.

Yeah, with enough drops you get an ocean. However, all the drops that refuse to see Evolution due to a bad adaptation will not be an ocean, it'll just be a pond or so. You can try and be a consumer advocate all you want, but it's simply not worth it at this scale.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:29 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:Beast Wars continues to ironically be the best Transformers content out there.

Yeah, with enough drops you get an ocean. However, all the drops that refuse to see Evolution due to a bad adaptation will not be an ocean, it'll just be a pond or so. You can try and be a consumer advocate all you want, but it's simply not worth it at this scale.
And also, this movie making money isn't a bad thing.

Dragon Ball is one of the most popular anime series in America. If it can't make money, then other companies may be hesitant to make adaptions that could be good. I mean, we have Ninja Scroll, Akira and Cowboy Bebop on the way, and I'm sure there are other good anime series/movies that could be adapted.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:16 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:The original would still be available (I hope), but there are a whole new generation of anime and manga fans that want something that is modern and up to date. Take instance the younger kids that prefer the Naruto Shippuden style animation and story, would they necessarily be interested in the original Dragonball series?
You might have a point with the outdated animation (Personally, I don't see how 80s animation can ever go out of style - it's leagues beyond the crap from the 60s and 70s, and nostalgia aside, I think it will always be perfectly respectable and watchable - but then, I was born in 1987), but story? What would make the story of Dragon Ball inaccessible to kids these days? Have the fundamentals of storytelling somehow changed in the past 25 years?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:00 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:and Cowboy Bebop on the way
Ya with Keanu "more wooden than a post" Reeves set to play Spike Spiegel. That's not a positive start. -_-
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:41 pm

Dr. Casey wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:The original would still be available (I hope), but there are a whole new generation of anime and manga fans that want something that is modern and up to date. Take instance the younger kids that prefer the Naruto Shippuden style animation and story, would they necessarily be interested in the original Dragonball series?
You might have a point with the outdated animation (Personally, I don't see how 80s animation can ever go out of style - it's leagues beyond the crap from the 60s and 70s, and nostalgia aside, I think it will always be perfectly respectable and watchable - but then, I was born in 1987), but story? What would make the story of Dragon Ball inaccessible to kids these days? Have the fundamentals of storytelling somehow changed in the past 25 years?
Most kids and teenagers that I have come across (whether they are children of friends or family) are obsessed with what some would call adult themes that Dragonball just do not address. Personally, I feel they are inappropriate for children and those in their early teens. That is why I think that they love Naruto, Bleach and the Twilight series as examples. They revel in the angst and the drama. I would rather they would stick to Dragonball and a child’s world but they are not interested in that sort of thing for the most part. Step back one day and see what these kids are watching on television and you will see what I am driving at.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:59 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:
Kingdom Heartless wrote:and Cowboy Bebop on the way
Ya with Keanu "more wooden than a post" Reeves set to play Spike Spiegel. That's not a positive start. -_-
Beat me to it. There's no way DBE will fail like LAM Bebop will.

Things to be gained from DBE:

-Potential new DB products. They come out all the time, but who's to say we won't get more specials or animated movies?
-WAAAAAAAAAHs. Lots of those.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:02 pm

B wrote:Beat me to it. There's no way DBE will fail like LAM Bebop will.
Isn't Keanu as Spike just a rumor? Was that ever confirmed?

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:16 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:
B wrote:Beat me to it. There's no way DBE will fail like LAM Bebop will.
Isn't Keanu as Spike just a rumor? Was that ever confirmed?
Yes, it was confirmed.

And... really, I don't see a problem with it, I can't imagine any one else playing him now.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:17 pm

Just as long as he doesn't pull any acting moves from The Matrix and Bill & Ted.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:42 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:really, I don't see a problem with it, I can't imagine any one else playing him now.
Spike has character and charisma.
Also, Reeves is too old (sorry).

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:12 pm

Tsukento wrote:Just as long as he doesn't pull any acting moves from The Matrix and Bill & Ted.
...I know kung-fu.

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:45 pm

American comic books do this all the time, but we hardly ever see this happen to Japanese ones.
Most of those are fucking terrible too.

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:49 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:Beast Wars continues to ironically be the best Transformers content out there.

You have no way of knowing that. If every fan of the series skipped the movie it would take a serious chunk of money from Fox. But instead people take the attitide of "Oh it will make money anyway." Sure it will because people like you* support it even if you dislike it. What motivation do thyt have to make a good Dragonball movie if a shitty one gets them the same result.

*I'm not referring to you.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:43 am

Victator Supreme wrote:
American comic books do this all the time, but we hardly ever see this happen to Japanese ones.
Most of those are fucking terrible too.
I use this in response to you:

You'll never hit a homerun if you don't step up to the plate, and swing.

Sometimes we need to go through a bunch of crap before we strike gold. But if we never go through that crap we'll never strike gold.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.