Super Exciting Guide: Character Volume

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:14 pm

MCDaveG wrote:that awesome stuff with Makaisohin can be cool material for fan-manga
Particularly one starring only Goku, Uub, Z, and maybe Pan as they visit the Demon Realm to stop the newest born Kaioshin, who ended up becoming a Makaioshin, from taking over, who then, as a last ditch effort, used his potara to fuse with a powerful demon? I AGREE! :D
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:48 pm

All this stuff is good information I will need for the manga I stopped doing years ago, that was the direction my storyline was heading towards, particularly the part about the evil form of Kaioshin which I have even stated in the script somewhere in chapter 2 (I see the future 8) ) so that part made me grin, and there's a lot of stuff I thought about in relation to my story and this new info is a plus, it's not really a that much, but enough.

Big thanks for translating.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:57 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote: Kame Sennin browses the Internet? I'd love it if he was part of DaizEX forums
He was, but when it became public, he went into hiding...

Bussani wrote: Totally pointless and unrelated, but I wonder what would happen if you ate one of these fruits?
... You'd be Tullece. :D

*reads next three pages to see if everything just said was already mentioned*
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Krakabeast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Krakabeast » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:05 pm

Mr. Satan = Mark :?

Not digging it, but fine Toriyama.
Gohan: At least he doesn't have his sword out anymore.
Kuririn: Yeah, and your dad put his finger away too.

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:01 pm

It's a clever pun, really. You just have to think of Videl's name, and then the Japanese pronunctiation of Mark.

Saiyavenger2941
Advanced Regular

Post by Saiyavenger2941 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:13 pm

Something cool I thought about, though it probably wasn't intended.

Videl's friends: Sharpener; Erasa.

Videl's father: Mark.

Please tell me I'm not the only one seeing the double pun here.
[color=#30966E][b]PROUDLY Straight-Edge. Arrogant. Gohan and Videl obsessed. BE JEALOUS![/b][/color]
---
[url=http://bit.ly/F3l7t]DA[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/2FC03o]FFNet[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pE5Xs]Youtube[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/lCOED]Facebook[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/rWFtp]Livejournal[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/zrd4v]Twitter[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pYRHD]Flickr[/url]|PSN: Saiyavenger

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:29 pm

Mark as in grades, or mark as in a pencil mark?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:35 pm

B wrote:Mark as in grades, or mark as in a pencil mark?
I'd say either... or as in a marker.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:36 pm

Or a marker?

Edit: Dang. Beaten to it.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:02 pm

Seems Toriyama's still got it.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:50 pm

Here are a few other interesting odds and ends that I’ve found now that I’ve had more time to look through the guide.

In the section on Gohan, there’s a box explaining about why fishing is one of his hobbies. It says that he learned fishing from Goku, and that he treasures the peaceful time spent waiting for a bite. Remember that in the Saiyan arc, Goku promises to take Gohan fishing once the battle is over, and he actually does take him fishing before the Cell Games.

With Vegeta’s hobby being training, it explains that Vegeta has no interest other than the title of “strongest”, so he continues to train even when there’s no enemy around. Vegeta’s not the only character who trains of course, it’s just that he’s the only one with literally no other hobbies.

For Vegeta’s favorite vehicle being an “Attack Ball”, the section on Saiyan technologies shows that this is in fact the name of the round spaceships that Freeza and co. use. It gets the name from the fact that it crashes into the planet like a bullet, creating a lot of destruction.

Another extra box explains why Trunks’s favorite food is convenience store bento: in Trunks’ future, the androids make it impossible to sit around and have a leisurely meal, and Bulma is too busy working on time machine to cook anything, so Trunks is stuck eating out of convenience stores.

The book doesn’t actually explain this, but Yajirobe’s favorite vehicle being a stolen car refers to the fact that he tells Goku that his car is stolen during the Daimao arc. Also, Bulma’s favorite food being strawberries is a reference to her originally wanting to use the dragonballs to wish for all the strawberries she could eat, before she decided to wish for a boyfriend instead.

For the section on Saiyans, there’s a chart explaining Saiyan hierarchy. Saiyans are divided up into two different ranks based on their battle power at birth. Saiyans with high battle powers become Elite Warriors (like Nappa), and are used by the royalty to fight on the frontlines. Those with low battle powers (like Goku) are classed as Low-Level Warriors, and are sent off to remote planets. Being a member of the royalty (like Vegeta) is a hereditary position, with the king possessing absolute authority. There’s a pyramid diagram showing the royalty on top, then Elites underneath, and then Low-Level Warriors on the bottom.

The section also explains that all the nifty technology the Saiyans are shown using aren’t their own inventions, but rather stuff they stole from other planets. This goes along with Toriyama’s comment in the interview section, where he says that since time immemorial the Saiyans raided other planets and built up goods and wealth.

There’s a page on Freeza and co., with a chart explaining their relationship to other planets. First, there are planets that Freeza rules. These are ally planets to Freeza, and he uses their inhabitants as his underlings. Planet Vegeta was one of these planets, and Freeza used the Saiyans as mercenaries. Separate from the planets Freeza rules are the ones he attacks. These are planets with good environments. Freeza has his men wipe out the native inhabitants, and the planet is then sold off to a rich planet. Freeza gets money in return for these planets, but he doesn’t actually rule them in any sense once he sells them off. This business is called land speculating/land sharking (jiage).

The section on Namekians has a page on the Demon Clan, which it calls a mutation born from evil.

The section on the gods has a chart of the god hierarchy, explaining the role of each station of god. The gods in the living world are chosen from among the inhabitants of each planet, and are given attendants from the afterlife to support them (the God of Earth’s attendants are Karin and Mister Popo). Their job is to oversee their particular planet. The god of the Enma Realm is of course Enma Daio, who oversees the souls of the dead, and passes judgment on them to determine whether they go to Heaven or Hell. The gods of the Kaio planets are the 4 Kaio (North, East, South, and West), who oversee the four sections of the universe (aka the living world), and the Dai-Kaio, who supervises the Kaio. Finally there are the Kaioshin, the gods of the Kaioshin Realm, the gods of the gods. They protect everything in both the afterlife and living world, and interfere in the case of emergencies. There is (or rather was) the Dai-Kaioshin, with 4 Kaioshin (North, South, East, and West again) underneath him. Kibito is the attendant of the Kaioshin, serving the same function as Mister Popo does for the God of Earth.

The section an techniques has a little diagram/paragraph thingy explaining ki. Ki is the life energy hidden within the bodies of living things, and it always surrounds one’s body. But ki also includes such spiritual/emotional powers as vigor, bravery, and sobriety. The strength of one’s heart is crucial. When this spiritual/emotional power is added to life energy, it makes it possible to break through the limits of physical strength.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:02 am

I don't know what else to say other than those are interesting additions, Herms. Thanks for translating them as always.

When it talks about the Demon Clan Namekians, is it referring specifically to Daimao's minions (Drum, Tambourine, etc)? Or does it include Daimao as well? I can certainly see the minions as being mutations. It also makes me wonder if other spiritual traits of the creator can cause physical differences in the offspring they create.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:04 am

Herms have you and Hujio thought about postponing your Daizenshuu translating and concentrate your attention on these guides since they have the latest information?
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:13 am

Yeah, honestly I'd love a place to have all of this neat information categorized...i.e. Kanzentai...heh...
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:39 am

Bussani wrote:When it talks about the Demon Clan Namekians, is it referring specifically to Daimao's minions (Drum, Tambourine, etc)? Or does it include Daimao as well? I can certainly see the minions as being mutations. It also makes me wonder if other spiritual traits of the creator can cause physical differences in the offspring they create.
It includes both Daimao and his offspring (including Ma Junior, which it calls Daimao's reincarnation).
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:30 am

It doesn't say why Goten likes Pocky? :lol:

They're taasty.

Saiyavenger2941
Advanced Regular

Post by Saiyavenger2941 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:12 am

Kendamu wrote:
B wrote:Mark as in grades, or mark as in a pencil mark?
I'd say either... or as in a marker.
Yep. Any of those work for what I was trying to point out.
[color=#30966E][b]PROUDLY Straight-Edge. Arrogant. Gohan and Videl obsessed. BE JEALOUS![/b][/color]
---
[url=http://bit.ly/F3l7t]DA[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/2FC03o]FFNet[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pE5Xs]Youtube[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/lCOED]Facebook[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/rWFtp]Livejournal[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/zrd4v]Twitter[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pYRHD]Flickr[/url]|PSN: Saiyavenger

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:37 pm

Don't know if this was touched upon in previous Daizenshuu but Mr. Toriyama's answer about the Dragonballs was something I wondered about. I noticed in the King Piccolo saga Goku wears one Dragonball like a necklace, a string poked right through it. I guess it is true that they regenerate any damage after they are used.

I hope all of these guides are translated and released over here one day. We should petition Viz or something. :lol:

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:43 pm

Maphisto86 wrote:Don't know if this was touched upon in previous Daizenshuu but Mr. Toriyama's answer about the Dragonballs was something I wondered about. I noticed in the King Piccolo saga Goku wears one Dragonball like a necklace, a string poked right through it. I guess it is true that they regenerate any damage after they are used.
Yeah, I noticed that, but it still kind of bugs me. It means that Yajirobe was able to generate more force than Tao Pai Pai's Dodonpa, and it makes a lot of other things not make sense... but then again it's not like the Dragonball necklace made sense before this guide, so now it is explained, but all of the other things that the Dragonballs survived now doesn't make sense.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:40 am

SSj_Rambo wrote:
Maphisto86 wrote:Don't know if this was touched upon in previous Daizenshuu but Mr. Toriyama's answer about the Dragonballs was something I wondered about. I noticed in the King Piccolo saga Goku wears one Dragonball like a necklace, a string poked right through it. I guess it is true that they regenerate any damage after they are used.
Yeah, I noticed that, but it still kind of bugs me. It means that Yajirobe was able to generate more force than Tao Pai Pai's Dodonpa, and it makes a lot of other things not make sense... but then again it's not like the Dragonball necklace made sense before this guide, so now it is explained, but all of the other things that the Dragonballs survived now doesn't make sense.
Yajirobe in his first apperance is pretty much as strong as goku or in a very close level. And goku was stronger than he was when he beat Tao pai pai.

So it makes sense that yajirobe could generate more force than Tao pai pai`s Dodonpa.