The TOEI Punch

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

The TOEI Punch

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:12 am

Why are people calling the final punch that Goku did to Broly the "TOEI Punch"? It's something I've been hearing across the DBZ fanbase and I'm wondering why it's been named this.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:16 am

I'm assuming it made no sense as Broly is a beast and Goku beat him with that one punch.

I never saw the movie, but it's what I can deduce from people who generally have ill-will toward the Broly films, and because the word "Toei" is in it, and they screw up Dragon Ball Z a lot.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:35 pm

Cause Toei can't think of anything better than a Genki Dama (Z Movies 1-4), a 'beam' or a beam struggle (Z Movies 5, 6, 10, 12), or just random douchbaaggery like Toei Punch (Z Movies 7, 8, 9) and "Ryu-Ken!!!!!" to beat bad guys.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:04 pm

Isn't that most of DBZ anyway? ?_?

Pain
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Pain » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:41 pm

Let's just say that the movies weren't very creative with their final battle sequences. In my opinion, everything after movie 1 was just rehash from the rest of the series(Even though movie 1 is loosely based on Raditz kidnapping Gohan).
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:52 pm

Vekurotto wrote:Cause Toei can't think of anything better than a Genki Dama (Z Movies 1-4), a 'beam' or a beam struggle (Z Movies 5, 6, 10, 12), or just random douchbaaggery like Toei Punch (Z Movies 7, 8, 9) and "Ryu-Ken!!!!!" to beat bad guys.
It's shonen anime, what else do you expect? It's no different from all the other shonen series out there. -_-
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:02 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:
Vekurotto wrote:Cause Toei can't think of anything better than a Genki Dama (Z Movies 1-4), a 'beam' or a beam struggle (Z Movies 5, 6, 10, 12), or just random douchbaaggery like Toei Punch (Z Movies 7, 8, 9) and "Ryu-Ken!!!!!" to beat bad guys.
It's shonen anime, what else do you expect? It's no different from all the other shonen series out there. -_-
I don't mind it, really I don't, I'm just pointing out that most of the movies ended very lamely.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Re: The TOEI Punch

Post by Dayspring » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:10 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Why are people calling the final punch that Goku did to Broly the "TOEI Punch"? It's something I've been hearing across the DBZ fanbase and I'm wondering why it's been named this.
Because TOEI made movie 8, not Toriyama, so the name is used to describe it as a special punch, when it's not. The fact that it emphasizes that it's from TOEI (ie: filler) also helps explain why the combined efforts of five people at their best could do nothing against Broly, but the combined strength of those same five when they're exhausted is capable of annihilating him once he's undergone another power up.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:13 pm

Hey, now! Genki Dama in DBZ Movie 1? I don't think so. That one was resolved thanks to a giant hole and an angry little boy.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co