A thought on Mark as Mr. Satan's real name(off topic spoiler

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mister yummy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

A thought on Mark as Mr. Satan's real name(off topic spoiler

Post by mister yummy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:52 pm

We all know Mr. Satan is a wrestler, right? Well, the word Mark has significance in the world of pro wrestling. Most of us here, I'm sure, are familiar with the nature of that sport. If you're not, please stop reading now. The spoiler might ruin it for you.

SPOILER BELOW

Anyways, Professional Wrestling is more about the show than about any sort of competition. In fact, the wrestling is largely pre-determined, and who wins and loses is always predetermined. Yes, I know this is hardly a spoiler, they hardly try to hide this fact anymore.

Anyways, to someone in the sport, a fan who believes it all to be real is called a "mark". Actually, most anyone who goes to the show is considered a mark, but the other usage is more universal.

Seems a bit ironic that our favorite fighter who's skeptical of the ki techniques he witnesses in front of him, always claiming them to be a "trick" would be named Mark.

Perhaps, as a wrestler, he's skeptical because of the nature of his own sport. He's used to everything being a trick, and so proclaims it to his fans and enterouage. They, knowing him as someone "in the know" about such things, believe him.

After all, pro wrestling is all just a bunch of tricks. But a mark wouldn't know that, would he. Conversely, the firghting in Dragonball's not a bunch of tricks, but we could hardly expect Mark to know that, could we.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:08 pm

Actually my brother made this same connection. Both him and I are former Pro Wrestlers, I just didn't think about it.

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:25 pm

That is very interesting and ironic. I somehow doubt that Toriyama had that in mind though.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:07 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:14 pm

I think Viz used it to explain the H-Word. "This is Hercule, who's also known with the wrestling name Mr. Satan!". Something like that.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:33 pm

B-kun wrote:I think Viz used it to explain the H-Word. "This is Hercule, who's also known with the wrestling name Mr. Satan!". Something like that.
Announcer: "The great combatant Hercule--formerly known as the wrestler "Mr. Satan"--has announced he will enter the Cell Game!!"

KKZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by KKZ » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:49 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:He wears a gi
I've seen wrestlers wear martial arts gis before, albeit somewhat stylized ones most of the time. I can't give you any specific examples.
[quote="temujin"]Krillin,the guy is just a ridiculous midget without nose.Seriously, he looks like some kind of bizarre monster. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Krillin's head is also pretty big like a balloon. :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote][quote="Thanos"]Eh... it gets kinda old hearing elitists say things like "IT SHOULD HAVE ENDED WHEN GOKU MET BULMA"[/quote]

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:50 pm

"Mark" is a pun on akuma/devil, as befits his ring name. If you rearrange akuma, you get maaku, the Japanese way or writing "Mark".
Kunzait_83 wrote:Where exactly did this whole thing with him being a wrestler come from? Is it a dub or Viz thing? I can't really remember at the moment.
Possibly just from his looks, but he does refer to himself usually not as a martial artist (budouka), but as a grappler/hand-to-hand fighter (kakutouka), so that may have something to do with it.

Tyro wrote:Announcer: "The great combatant Hercule--formerly known as the wrestler "Mr. Satan"--has announced he will enter the Cell Game!!"
The original line: "That super genius of hand-to-hand combat, our very own Satan, has decided to enter the dreadful Cell Games!"
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:25 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:Mr. Satan isn't a wrestler at all though. He's a martial artist. A "sports" martial artist (like one of those UFC dudes), but a martial artist nonetheless. Other than his little Championship belt-thingy and his penchant for showy entrances and pre-fight trash talk, he has little to nothing to do with wrestling whatsoever.

He wears a gi, he uses nothing but kicks and martial arts strikes when he fights, we hardly ever see him grapple all that much (other than him using an occaisional headlock here and there), and if all that weren't enough, he always flat out refers to himself as a martial artist.

Where exactly did this whole thing with him being a wrestler come from? Is it a dub or Viz thing? I can't really remember at the moment.
I guess you can look at him as someone from UFC, they have martial artists, wrestlers etc.

Edit: This reminds me of an old interview clip; where Bruce Lee once said that in a real fight you use whatever it takes to win. I think Mark lived this philosophy because he packed a Desert Eag (or something that resembles it) in the Buu Saga.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:20 pm

I always tought it was kayfabe or something

TriforceCaptre
Beyond Newbie

Post by TriforceCaptre » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:32 pm

Even with the whole Akuma thing being the official reason behind his name being Mark. That pro wrestling "mark" connection is still a cool little bit of irony with Mr. Satan being a false idol of sorts.
"There's ten thousand reasons to survive, but you only needed one to die." -CKY-

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:21 pm

TriforceCaptre wrote:Even with the whole Akuma thing being the official reason behind his name being Mark. That pro wrestling "mark" connection is still a cool little bit of irony with Mr. Satan being a false idol of sorts.
I agree. Intentional or not, it's kind of amusing.