Weirdest Spellings of Dragonball things?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 06, 2009 9:44 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:Speaking of EGM, I was also always fond of their spelling of Brolli as "Brawley". :lol:
Haven't I seen that, or a variation on it, on official Japanese merchandise? Yeah, I really dislike that spelling if only because the "o" is supposed to be a long sound... on the other hand, the "o" in "bro" from "broccoli" sounds more like an "aw"...
Adamant wrote:"18 Gou" for #18.

Yeah, it's technically correct, but... why would you do that? It makes no sense.
I can see "#18" and "Juuhachigou", but not "18 Gou". Seems weird to mix in a half-translation like that. My guess is that the person translating the name didn't actually understand what the "Gou" part meant... despite getting the "18" part...

In the end, though, I'm with RoarkVegeta in saying the online spellings of "Tenka-ichi Budokai" (and its Atari-influenced reverse order) both amuse and horrify me.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed May 06, 2009 9:52 am

VegettoEX wrote:I can see "#18" and "Juuhachigou", but not "18 Gou". Seems weird to mix in a half-translation like that. My guess is that the person translating the name didn't actually understand what the "Gou" part meant... despite getting the "18" part...
Well, her name is always written as "18号" in Japanese, so "18 Gou" would be a direct romanization of that.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 06, 2009 9:56 am

Herms wrote:Well, her name is always written as "18号" in Japanese, so "18 Gou" would be a direct romanization of that.
Fair enough point. I guess this is one of those cases where I can't understand why anyone would romanize the other half for general use.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Wed May 06, 2009 10:08 am

In my fansubbed version of movie 12, Goku refers to Paikuhan as "Pikehan-chan" even though he never say it. :lol:
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Wed May 06, 2009 11:22 am

In an old fan sub of movie 9 that I have, Mr. Satan keeps saying that he has a stomach "ace".

Since my brother has seen this, I will occasionally be like, "OW! I have a stomach Ace!" to a bit of laughter.

I really can't think of much else. I have a Chinese bootleg where the subtitler clearly got confused as to which character was which, but that really isn't a spelling problem...

ssjcj
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjcj » Wed May 06, 2009 1:20 pm

Harmony Gold had a couple. Off the top of my head.
Goku was Zero and Karin was Whiskers.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed May 06, 2009 1:44 pm

ssjcj wrote:Harmony Gold had a couple. Off the top of my head.
"Whiskers the wonder cat", right?
Weren't they also the ones who called Kuririn "Bongo"?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Wed May 06, 2009 1:46 pm

Chuquita wrote:
ssjcj wrote:Harmony Gold had a couple. Off the top of my head.
"Whiskers the wonder cat", right?
Weren't they also the ones who called Kuririn "Bongo"?
Yep. They named Shenron "Dragon God".

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed May 06, 2009 8:24 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Kunzait_83 wrote:Speaking of EGM, I was also always fond of their spelling of Brolli as "Brawley". :lol:
Haven't I seen that, or a variation on it, on official Japanese merchandise? Yeah, I really dislike that spelling if only because the "o" is supposed to be a long sound... on the other hand, the "o" in "bro" from "broccoli" sounds more like an "aw"...
Why is it supposed to be pronounced bro-lee? I've always thought it was braw-lee. Doesn't it make more sense for it to be braw-lee since ブロリー (Burorii / Brolli) comes from ブロッコリー (burokkorii / broccoli)?

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed May 06, 2009 9:14 pm

The Japanese o sound is pronounced "aw", not "ow", so ALL the names are supposed to be pronounced like that.

It's "Gaw-kew", not "Gow-kew", too.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Wed May 06, 2009 9:19 pm

Adamant wrote:The Japanese o sound is pronounced "aw", not "ow", so ALL the names are supposed to be pronounced like that.

"o" is pronounced "Oh".

Like Row.
Son is pronounced like "Shone" without the h
Goku is pronounced "Goh-koo"
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed May 06, 2009 9:35 pm

DemonRin wrote:
Adamant wrote:The Japanese o sound is pronounced "aw", not "ow", so ALL the names are supposed to be pronounced like that.

"o" is pronounced "Oh".

Like Row.
No.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Wed May 06, 2009 9:44 pm

Adamant wrote:
DemonRin wrote:

"o" is pronounced "Oh".

Like Row.
No.
Yes.

The way you were saying it, Son's name is pronounced "Gah-kew", that's wrong.
o In Japanese is "Oh"
Maybe I'm just typing this Wrong.
Like "Row" or "Hoe" or "Toe", just remove the W and E sounds.
the Ku is pronounced like the "Roo" in Kangaroo. (In Japanese, there are actually two Us in his name. It's "Son Gokuu")
Son isn't pronounced "Suhn" it's "Sohn" like I said, the Word "Shone" as in "The Sun Shone through the Clowds" but without the H
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed May 06, 2009 9:45 pm

Adamant wrote:
DemonRin wrote:

"o" is pronounced "Oh".

Like Row.
No.
Actually, yes. Take the English 'So' and add an 'n' sound at the end of it and you have Son's last name.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed May 06, 2009 10:04 pm

"Sown" Goku?

...no? Do you lack ears or something? The "Son" in Son Goku is pronounced the same way as the English word "son".

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Wed May 06, 2009 10:06 pm

Adamant wrote:"Sown" Goku?

...no? Do you lack ears or something?
Yes, "Sown Goh-koo", that's Correct.

You might be thinking of how they pronounced it in Burst Limit, that was wrong.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Wed May 06, 2009 10:09 pm

Adamant wrote:"Sown" Goku?

...no?
Yeah it is.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed May 06, 2009 10:10 pm

DemonRin wrote:
You might be thinking of how they pronounced it in Burst Limit, that was wrong.
I have absolutely no idea how they pronounced it there, but I am completely unable to grasp how you can possibly listen to spoken Japanese and somehow get into your heas that there's supposed to be a w sound added after every single o.

Hell, just pull out some random FUNi Dragonball DVD, and listen to some scene where Goku's name is spoken, first in Japanese, then in English. Do they seriously sound the same to you?

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Wed May 06, 2009 10:21 pm

No... *Facepalm*
I don't mean "Row" as in WITH a W there, I just mean HOW THE O IS PRONOUNCED in the word "Row".

In Burst Limit, he said his name was "Son Goku" and he pronounced Son "Suhn" Like the Sun in the Sky

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed May 06, 2009 10:30 pm

DemonRin wrote:No... *Facepalm*
I don't mean "Row" as in WITH a W there, I just mean HOW THE O IS PRONOUNCED in the word "Row".
Then why not just say "It's pronounced like the word "son""?
DemonRin wrote:In Burst Limit, he said his name was "Son Goku" and he pronounced Son "Suhn" Like the Sun in the Sky
Ah. Yes, that's wrong.