Shonen Jump offering DragonBall manga for free download!?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Shonen Jump offering DragonBall manga for free download!?

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:10 pm

It seems that Shonen Jump is offering downloads of single chapters of a select few popular manga series', including Dragonball!! It's available in both English and Japanese, but since I don't own the first chapter, I'm not sure if this is the same translation as VIZ, or an in-house one, like how they handled the subbing of the recent Jump Anime Tour Special. The manga comes in its original color, like the Kanzenban, but the colors and lines are much more vibrant, and obviously touched up by a computer. I don't know how long these will stay up, or if we'll see more chapters, but this is really cool for those who don't own this chapter, or want to see it in Japanese.

To view these, you have to first install the JumpLand Browser, which most of you probably already did, for the free streaming of the Jump Anime Tour Special. Here is the page where you can download the manga in English, and in original Japanese. (The downloads are on the left section.)

All Shounen Jump Online Dragonball Manga Chapters by SSj_Rambo

This all seems to be a part of Shonen Jump's website's "re-vamp", which includes some nice Dragonball themed layouts:

Last edited by SSj_Rambo on Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:12 pm

That's the Viz translation.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:18 pm

Only chapter one? /zzsnore

Wake me when they have something of significance.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:25 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:That's the Viz translation.
OK, thanks. But are all of VIZ's editions this uncensored?

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:43 pm

What's that DragonBall Channel on the left? It says something about broadcasts in June

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Re: Shonen Jump offering DragonBall manga for free download!

Post by Tyro » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:02 am

SSj_Rambo wrote:The manga comes in its original color, like the Kanzenban, but the colors and lines are much more vibrant, and obviously touched up by a computer.
Not only that, but the entire first chapter is in full color, which differs from the Kanzenban's mostly-red coloring later on.

Edit: Can this be considered "canon coloring"?

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:18 am

Tyro wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:The manga comes in its original color, like the Kanzenban, but the colors and lines are much more vibrant, and obviously touched up by a computer.
Not only that, but the entire first chapter is in full color, which differs from the Kanzenban's mostly-red coloring later on.
Hmm, I guess it is. And the more I look at it, the less I like these new colors; they just seem to bland and generically modern when compared to the soft hand-painted colors of the original.
Tyro wrote:Edit: Can this be considered "canon coloring"?
And I would definitely NOT consider this "canon coloring", mainly because it is not Toriyama's work, but also because it is not presented in the capacity of any guide-book and because the new/extra colors are purely for marketability.
Last edited by SSj_Rambo on Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:33 am

SSj_Rambo wrote:
SSJ2bardock wrote:That's the Viz translation.
OK, thanks. But are all of VIZ's editions this uncensored?
Well, it depends when you got your Viz translated tankoubon. They've become more and more censored.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:48 am

Interesting... It uses the uncensored version of the Viz translation. (In current printings there are some dialogue edits, like Bulma offering to let Goku look at her butt instead of touch it.)
­

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:34 am

Anyone want to mirror the files so we don't have to install this 'original browser'?

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:05 am

The new Shonen Jump Logo looks like it's drawn by Toriyama. :D

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:29 am

SSj_Rambo wrote:
Tyro wrote:

Hmm, I guess it is. And the more I look at it, the less I like these new colors; they just seem to bland and generically modern when compared to the soft hand-painted colors of the original.

And I would definitely NOT consider this "canon coloring", mainly because it is not Toriyama's work, but also because it is not presented in the capacity of any guide-book and because the new/extra colors are purely for marketability.
Actually... the first eight pages of the chapter are indeed in full color. The rest of the pages are in Red & Grey scale
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:24 am

SSj_Rambo wrote:
Tyro wrote:
And I would definitely NOT consider this "canon coloring",
What exactly is canon coloring? Toriyama changes the colors of uniforms so much, I dunno which to accept and which to ignore. For example;
Kid Goku's first gi has been either blue or orange.

Kid Goku's Kame gi has been light orange with black belt & wrist bands.
light orange with black belt & red wrist bands.
green with orange belt & wrist bands.

Goku's adult gi has been
orange with blue shirt & wristbands.
light orange with light blue shirt & wristbands.
golden yellow with black shirt & wristbands.

And you have Gohan, whose Namekian gi was drawn in bright purple or bright green.
And Gohan's own personal adult gi has either been bright purple with orange belt & wristbands, or green with white belt & wristbands.

You get the idea. x_x Out of all of these, which is supposed to be correct? I always just ignored them all and went with the anime's colors just because they're more consistent.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:45 am

Well, the Kanzenban only had a few pages at the beginning of chapter 1 in full color. Then it switches over to red-grey scale until the chapter's end. But this has the entire first chapter in full color and it's consistant, not to mention really well done.

I'm just wondering if Toriyama had anything to do with this at all, and if this new fully colored chapter (based on the Kanzenban's coloring) can/is considered canon? If it's like an update, basically.

Edit: And here's a picture so that you all can compare the downloadable chapter to the Kanzenban.

I have to say that I really enjoy the vibrant color in the downloadable chapter. I hope more chapters keep coming.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:37 pm

[art-critiquing]
I'm torn. I really like the bold colors in the newer version, but I like the handmade feel of the watercolor sky in the older one.
[/art-critiquing]

I'm looking forward to more computer-colored pages. :3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:50 pm

Oh wow, that Piccolo picture...I think it's a colored version from when he turned towards Kuririn and still claimed to be evil after being defeated by the Cyborgs. I'm wondering...is some Cubical Jockey going to be coloring every page? O.o

*Goes to download*
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:56 pm

Can somebody mirror these... please.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:06 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:Can somebody mirror these... please.
Well, that's a little tedius. One would need to hit Print screen and edit around the actual Manga ('cause you can't copy it out of the browser).
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:53 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
SSJ2bardock wrote:Can somebody mirror these... please.
Well, that's a little tedius. One would need to hit Print screen and edit around the actual Manga ('cause you can't copy it out of the browser).
I would do it myself if I could, but unfortunately I can't even install stuff on my pc. I love the new colours, I would cream my pants if they did this to all the manga. I really don't think the other colours are anything special, but that's my opinion, what do I know.

I hope someone is nice enough to spare sometime and share this with everyone who doesn't have the browser thing.

Joey Batz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Joey Batz » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:31 pm

[quote="SSj_Rambo"]It seems that Shonen Jump is offering downloads of single chapters of a select few popular manga series', including Dragonball!! It's available in both English and Japanese, but since I don't own the first chapter, I'm not sure if this is the same translation as VIZ, or an in-house one, like how they handled the subbing of the recent Jump Anime Tour Special. The manga comes in its original color, like the Kanzenban, but the colors and lines are much more vibrant, and obviously touched up by a computer. I don't know how long these will stay up, or if we'll see more chapters, but this is really cool for those who don't own this chapter, or want to see it in Japanese.

[/quote

They wouldn't be doing the same for One Piece, would they?