What's in a Nickname or DBZ's Influence in One's Life

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

What's in a Nickname or DBZ's Influence in One's Life

Post by Karrit » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:29 pm

I've been more of less a DBZ fan since 1998, but it skyrocketed in 2001. There's been points where I've taken a hiatus, but I've always come back. And I am not ashamed to admit Son Goku's been a positive role model for yours truly. I dig his perseverance and compassion. Anyway, ever since I started boxing last August I've waited for my nickname. There's an unwritten tradition that the 'gym' picks it. Mine happens to be Dragonballz (Like Dragonballs, but with the Z emphasized). I wore a DBZ t-shirt once and everyone started calling me that. It was a little weird being called that at first since I'm a gal, but it's grown on me. It was amusing hearind a crowd yelling 'Dragonballz' at my first amateur fight a month ago.

So enough about me. I decided to start this thread to find out how DBZ's affected your life. Any interesting twists?

Wojak
Regular

Post by Wojak » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:17 pm

Well, I can simply say that it made me interested in manga, simply.
I can't live without manga and it's a great refuge into peace in comparison to my normal, hectic lifestyle where you should be happy if you even get 5 hours of sleep.

By the way, did you win your first amateur match? :D
If you like boxing I recommend the manga Hajime No Ippo that is about boxing.
No more time for Daizex. Goodbye folks!

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:36 pm

Wojak wrote:Well, I can simply say that it made me interested in manga, simply.
I can't live without manga and it's a great refuge into peace in comparison to my normal, hectic lifestyle where you should be happy if you even get 5 hours of sleep.

By the way, did you win your first amateur match? :D
If you like boxing I recommend the manga Hajime No Ippo that is about boxing.
No I lost. =( But I did put up a good fight, and learning to correct what went wrong. BTW, I love Hajime no Ippo and Ashita no Joe.

But yeah, DBZ is a good way to escape frustrations and Goku & Ippo remind me to keep working harder to get stronger.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:44 pm

Dragon Ball manga made a real change in my life.

I used the manga as a refrence to help me draw a manga series that originated from an idea of a parody of "Yie Ar Kung Fu" and ended up as a drifter ninja girl that will celebrate it's first anneversary the 22nd of this June.

I recieved a few comments says that my art is "simple, yet meaningful". But there was comment that I'll never forget...

It said: "The character designs are similer to early Dragon ball art". I was just... "wow... for real?!"

My manga will be one year old this month... the story is not even quarter finished... all thanks to Dragon Ball that I made it this far.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:58 pm

Some people call me "Bulma" at school after I showed them my site X_x I don't really like to announce to the world how big of a DragonBall fan I am, so I get really embarrased when someone calls me with "BULMAAAA!!" :oops: :shock:

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:29 pm

Dragon Ball has helped me open a gateway to every other manga/anime I love now. I still have great respect for Dragon Ball, and I love it the most. It might not necessarily be the best series I've seen, but it holds real meaning to me.

GotenZ1
Patreon Supporter

Post by GotenZ1 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:33 pm

Well, I'm an animator now, so that should tell you something. Have a degree and everything.

I always liked comic books and cartoons, but it wasn't until Dragon Ball that I watched a cartoon for the sole purpose of studying the character models and getting my drawings right.

I have a short film that's been through a couple festivals and I'm currently developing a pitch to sell to networks. In the meantime I do freelance work and am developing a web series.

There is no way that I would be doing any of this if it weren't for Dragon Ball. At times I've come and gone from fandom, but I always find my way back eventually-despite the numerous flaws I can find in the source material. It'll always influence me :D
My short animated film (has some violence): http://youtu.be/ovT8mbYE85E

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 am

Bura wrote:Some people call me "Bulma" at school after I showed them my site X_x I don't really like to announce to the world how big of a DragonBall fan I am, so I get really embarrased when someone calls me with "BULMAAAA!!" :oops: :shock:
I used to feel the same way, but over time I decided not to care. People can either accept what I like or not accept it. I don't shout I'm a DBZ fan, but considering I use a Goku messenger bag to tote my college textbooks around, it's no mystery. =)

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:47 am

The only way I display my DB fan-ness to the world is through the Chopper Dragon Ball crossover charm on my phone. :lol:

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:45 pm

As a little kid, I watched DBZ. I think I owe it much for learning me what was good and evil, and why good's better (I mean I'm no angel, but I'm certainly not a bad person)! I think the manga and anime alike show enough situations when you can see how bad it turns for you when you're a bad guy, often being killed by your own allies or being much less classier than the good characters (begging for your life or going insane because you're losing). The evil persons who don't get destroyed are the ones who turn to the good side. And it's not because "it's the way it is and that's it", it all follows a logic chains of events which is ultimately found in every representation of life, even in TV series (how many times a villain is killed by his own comrade). Except as a kid, you don't necessarily watch those serious TV series, and Dragon Ball is excellent because it hints adult themes and life logic even at young kids.

Then a kid quickly understands on which side he should stand and what kind of man he wants to be, being good, yet in an active way, being ready to fight to protect what's right without hesitation, and even with a certain excitement. So I think DBZ will bring any kid a real value of how we should act in our life in a general way.

Deity
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deity » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:33 pm

yeah and another thing a kid can learn is that he'll get slapped if he tries to feel some girls boobs or ass randomly, no matter how many times he tries !

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:06 am

1) It got me into manga and anime.

2) It got me into fanfiction, which believe it or not I credit with seriously improving my original writing.

3) I met both my current girlfriend AND current boyfriend at various DB sites.
Trunks & Goten forever

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:33 am

Thanos6 wrote:3) I met both my current girlfriend AND current boyfriend at various DB sites.
Surely you didn't expect people not to enquire?
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:06 am

Well, that's a tough act to follow. How could I possibly top Dragonball threesomes?

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:16 am

*shrugs* I'm bi and poly. No big deal. I love 'em both and yes, they know about one another.
Trunks & Goten forever

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:20 am

The things you see on this site. :lol:

A relationship like that has to have its complications... though it probably makes up for it with privileges.
Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:Well, that's a tough act to follow. How could I possibly top Dragonball threesomes?
Let's hook up and get married. Yes, we're guys.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:03 pm

Are we having Dragonball orgy's and not inviting NeptuneKai!?
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:10 pm

"I'll get ze oil!" :lol:

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:13 pm

I wore enough Rocky shirts to my boxing club that eventually everyone stopped calling me by my name and started calling me Rocky, which is subsequently my nickname now among that crowd of friends.

Goku was a huge inspiration on my life. I tried to be just like him in high school. I was as nice as I could be to everyone, I focused really really hard on my weight lifting and taekwondo, and I always went out of my way for people. It also turned out okay cuz I'm a total klutz and I guess I have a funny expression if I get confused.

The only downside is that I wear my emotions on my sleeve, so if I'm having a bad day, despite burying it and not worrying about it and being the same ol' happy-go-lucky-me, everyone can tell when something's bothering me.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II