Goku's Japanese voice, anyone else not like it at all?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Goku's Japanese voice, anyone else not like it at all?

Post by TVfan721 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:21 pm

This post has been deleted.
Last edited by TVfan721 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:27 pm

Well, I'm the opposite then.

I was introduced to db/z through the Funi/Ocean dub, but Masako Nozawa's Goku is my favorite. X3 I like how unique of a voice it is, and I'll be honest--it's cute.

I also like how her Goku's able to bounce back and forth with different pitches. And I don't know how she's able to accomplish those screams in that tone of voice; I've tried it and it pains my throat. @_@
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:41 pm

I think Sean Schemmel is better overall.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Optimus

Post by Optimus » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:42 pm

I like Masoko Nozawa's voice acting for Goku, her voice for the character is very well done. While I do really like Sean Schemmel's Goku voice and it is the first voice for Goku I heard, Masoko Nozawa's voice never sounded forced like Schemmel's voice sometimes did, although mostly that was in the beginning of his work as Goku.
Last edited by Optimus on Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:43 pm

I hate her. The "Big Green" dub Goku is by far the best. That's what real men sound like.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:45 pm

The most perfect English Goku would be one voiced by a woman... I'd want Zoë Wanamaker to play him! :lol:

I love Nozawa's Goku, she is Goku, there's really no other voice for him, to me...

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:45 pm

I don't really like it any more or less I like the various English ones. Well, sans Peter Kelamis. Nozawa and the other English bros > him.

I also don't see how it's unfitting of the character. She sounds somewhat dimwitted, and when needed, serious. And he doesn't really sound like a woman; he sounds like a grown kid, which is what Goku should sound like.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:47 pm

I like her voice for Goku just fine.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Minigt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Minigt » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:49 pm

The Japanese voices are much better than the American.
Chuncho Stretchy Pants

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:49 pm

This post has been deleted.
Last edited by TVfan721 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:50 pm

I think that Schemmel's later Goku is better than any Goku dubbing that Nozawa has done, but I like Nozawa best overall.

Schemmel's screams seemed forced at first, but as the series goes on they seem more believable to me. His speaking voice is dead-on as far as I'm concerned, at least when it comes to an English Goku. I've always thought that Nozawa's "Angry Goku" seemed a bit off.
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:57 pm

Nozawa plays an excellent Goku. The only downside is that I can't imagine that voice in English and still sounding good. Of course that's why we have MasakoX!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:30 pm

Masako Nozawa IS Son Goku. There's no way around it. Other voice actors and actresses should try to study her performance for inspiration on playing the character, not just because "it's the original" but because it's the best. The characterization is spot-on perfect.

Also, it's "Mr. Toriyama", not "Akira," for Dende's sake.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:39 pm

I love it, dunnow why people hate it so much. :\

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:00 pm

Freeza Heika wrote:I think that Schemmel's later Goku is better than any Goku dubbing that Nozawa has done, but I like Nozawa best overall.

Schemmel's screams seemed forced at first, but as the series goes on they seem more believable to me. His speaking voice is dead-on as far as I'm concerned, at least when it comes to an English Goku. I've always thought that Nozawa's "Angry Goku" seemed a bit off.
This times 1000. Sean Schemmel just captures every part of Goku's personality perfectly. Sure, Season 3 sucked and the early Android saga was kinda iffy, but man, he just does Goku perfectly.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:26 pm

tvfan721 wrote:Akira.
That's Mr. Toriyama to you Mario! *Hhh*
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:28 pm

I've learned to tolerate it, Especially now because of Kai. However, its not my preference, I actually love Sean as Goku. My girlfriend on the other hand cant stand the Japanese voices. She thinks Krillin sounds way to off and Piccolo doesn't seem as menacing.

If I had to pick, Id go English but like I said before I don't mind the original voices.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Does anyone actually ever look up here??

Post by SSj_Rambo » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:34 pm

Honestly (and this really surprised me), the more you listen to the Japanese version and the less you listen to the dub, the more Goku actually does sound like a man. I remember when I first got into the original audio, I was slightly taken aback by Nozawa's Goku, and always related it to a girl's voice; but now that I've watched nothing but the Japanese version for a while, I almost have trouble seeing how people think Goku sounds like a girl in the Japanese version.

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:48 pm

I like Masako Nozawa because she has that gentle, Innocent Goku from Dragonball, and in Z, she still makes Goku sound like a Kid, bue she gives him that maturity when he's in fights.

As for the English versions of Dragonball and DBZ, Stephanie Nadolny is kid Goku to me. I can listen to Ocean Dub Goku without vomiting, but I prefer Stephanie Nadolny. For Z, I kinda remember watching the Ocean Dub of DBZ, because I remember watching the first few episodes of Z when they were put on WPHL 17. (I think that's the name. It had Kids WB! on Saturday Mornings back in the day. Ah, that brings me back) I could listen to Peter Kelamis without puking, but I prefer Sean Schemmel.

I think the reason I like Schemmel is because when I first started watching the Dub, I thought it was the shit. People fighting, yelling, destroying planets, etc. So Schemmel's voice with the screaming, and he still has the calmness and innocence that Goku had in Dragonball.
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Does anyone actually ever look up here??

Post by Bussani » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:51 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:Honestly (and this really surprised me), the more you listen to the Japanese version and the less you listen to the dub, the more Goku actually does sound like a man. I remember when I first got into the original audio, I was slightly taken aback by Nozawa's Goku, and always related it to a girl's voice; but now that I've watched nothing but the Japanese version for a while, I almost have trouble seeing how people think Goku sounds like a girl in the Japanese version.
I'm probably the same. In fact, Goku isn't the only male anime character to have a feminine sounding voice. By the time I saw Dragon Ball Z in Japanese, I was probably used to voices like that. Look at Himura Kenshin, for instance.