Upcoming DragonBall Announcement: Speculation and Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:56 pm

Regarding the JUMP special: I'm such an fuckin' idiot.

I keep forgetting how fortunate I am that Goten's wonderful VA grants me a semi-regular correspondence. She's given me details before, so I'm sure that if ask nicely she'll tell me if she's done any dubbing for Goten as of late, which would in turn give us a definite clue.

If she has, then we know that there's a chance. If she hasn't, well . . . then we play some more of the Waiting Game so far as the special is concerned. Am I right?

I'm sure that any number of you have possible ties to the other VAs, particularly the open ones like Kyle Hebert and Laura Bailey. A lot of them are pretty awesome about answering questions. I'm going to send Kara an e-mail now, so if y'all have anyone that you can hit up for information then by all means . . .

EDIT: Sent.

~Da Lemmy
Last edited by Li'l Lemmy on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:01 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Didn't Kanzentai say that the TV show looks like ass in HD?
Well in terms of the show (not the movies) all we've seen in HD is FUNimation's Trunks and Bardock double feature, (which does look absolutely horrible) and some cropped tv rips of Kai.

So it will be interesting to see how the show fares once the first Kai Blu Ray comes out.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:09 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:I keep forgetting how fortunate I am that Goten's wonderful VA grants me a semi-regular correspondence. She's given me details before, so I'm sure that if ask nicely she'll tell me if she's done any dubbing for Goten as of late, which would in turn give us a definite clue.

If she has, then we know that there's a chance. If she hasn't, well . . . then we play some more of the Waiting Game so far as the special is concerned. Am I right?
Were you specific? Raging Blast is coming out soon and the Buu saga is in that game. Gohan/Pikkon's VA said he did recordings for the game recently.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:22 pm

Oh, rest assured; I was quite specific. Even if I weren't, she's usually pretty smart to differentiate on her own.

But hell, you can see for yourself.

Great to see that you've been having so much success lately. Wherever your next convention appearance will be, I hope to see you there!

Little help? There's been some brand new DragonBall animation in Japan as of earlier this year-- it's the first new DragonBall animation in over a decade, so it's a really exciting time for the DragonBall community. It's a fun little piece of animation called "Yo! Son Goku and Friends Return!!" (although an English title would probably be slightly different). We're all pretty anxious for it to get a dub here in the US of A, but nobody knows anything about the "when" or even an "if"; FUNimation has been pretty mum as usual . . .

Goten/Gotenks has a sizable role in it. You been doing anything with him lately, aside from the annual video games? With that kind of information, we'd know a little more about when to expect a dub of this special from FUNimation.

I've attached a clip, just in case you aren't sure what I'm talking about. Looking at it, I'm sure that you'll remember it if you've seen it.

Heeelp. :(

~Da Lemmy

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:23 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:Didn't Kanzentai say that the TV show looks like ass in HD?
Well in terms of the show (not the movies) all we've seen in HD is FUNimation's Trunks and Bardock double feature, (which does look absolutely horrible) and some cropped tv rips of Kai.

So it will be interesting to see how the show fares once the first Kai Blu Ray comes out.
And I heard that the Movies came from a component master, so it ends up looking good no matter what resolution it's in.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:09 am

Li'l Lemmy wrote:Whether it would be via Cartoon Network or FUNimation's own private channel, I highly doubt that the upcoming announcement has anything to do with broadcasting DragonBall anywhere. There's simply not an audience for it this many years later.

Then again, you're the second person to mention it, so maybe I'm wrong and there is one. :shock:

~Da Lemmy
If someone hasn't seen Dragonball....they are in the potential audience. There is always a chance of the franchise gaining popularity again. Just because the Toonami generation has seen most of it already doesn't mean the boat has passed.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:15 am

Agreed, but there can't be too much potential in said potential audience. Think back to what made DragonBall such a whopping success the first time around-- it was, in fact, the first time around. It was flashy, it was new, it was the beginning of anime in America. Hell, it didn't even have any real competition because there was nothing like it.

There's no going back to those days, no matter how many people get into it. Why? Because everyone else already knows what it is, which wasn't the case when DragonBall first arrived, and because nowadays there' a LOT of competition out there that's almost exactly like it (to those who don't look too closely).

~Da Lemmy

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:35 am

I have reason to believe they will be doing a pre-order only release of the Dragon Boxes.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:45 am

Of course, I'm hoping the announcement involves another DVD release of DBZ in 4:3 without the poor remastering job, but that's not going to happen.

The first two things I thought of were the Jump special and Kai. Out of those, it seems more likely for FUNimation to have licensed the special at this point, but my intuition is telling me that it's still too early for it. I can see a late 2009 announcement for an early 2010 release being more likely for the special.

Now, for Kai, it's definitely too early for that. The Saiya-jin arc hasn't even wrapped up yet in Japan. I really can't see FUNimation going for this (if they even do at all, but they likely will) until they're at least halfway through with the series in Japan.

The only logical answer right now seems to be the Dragon Ball movies.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:45 am

Smooth Criminal wrote:I have reason to believe they will be doing a pre-order only release of the Dragon Boxes.
That's hilarious, assuming that you don't really believe it, and hilarious even if you do. But surely you must be joking, of course.

~Da Lemmy

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:47 am

Smooth Criminal wrote:I have reason to believe they will be doing a pre-order only release of the Dragon Boxes.
Just because you really want it, doesn't mean it's actually going to happen.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:50 am

I'm just gonna guess it's 'Ossu! Kaette kita Son Goku to Nakama-tachi'. They aren't ready yet to release Kai.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:51 am

Yeah, I don't see Kai coming out for another year or two.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:45 am

Captain Awesome wrote:All I want at this point is the PlayDia footage and the Jump special, also maybe the fire fighting thing.
Oh gosh, the safety specials. DAY ONE.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Budokai23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Budokai23 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:07 am

That would be amazing to see the safety specials. Sadly those have a worse chance than the OVA/Playdia footage getting dubbed. :cry: I'm guessing that this announcement is either news of DB double feature DVDs or they are redubbing the first movie. It could also be fullscreen DBZ DVDs or maybe, just maybe the Jump special.
Aka gtadbzman.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:01 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:Agreed, but there can't be too much potential in said potential audience. Think back to what made DragonBall such a whopping success the first time around-- it was, in fact, the first time around. It was flashy, it was new, it was the beginning of anime in America. Hell, it didn't even have any real competition because there was nothing like it.

~Da Lemmy
Anime was going strong in America before DBZ hit. It's just DBZ's explosion grabbed the Toonami audience(mostly kids) for the first time. The franchise opened the doors for mass marketing to kids. But to say it was the beginning of anime in America is kinda ignorant.
I'd be pissed. If that was the case, I wouldn't have bought any of the season sets. It would also suck as my anime budget is shot yet again.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:37 pm

Raki wrote:Anime was going strong in America before DBZ hit. It's just DBZ's explosion grabbed the Toonami audience(mostly kids) for the first time. The franchise opened the doors for mass marketing to kids. But to say it was the beginning of anime in America is kinda ignorant.
I think we all knew what he meant. Of course he didn't mean that literally. :roll:

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:32 pm

In fairness the home video anime market did explode even more after DBZ hit toonami. So while we had anime in suncoast before that, we had a whole lot more after, and in more places.
-Laserkid

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:39 pm

For those of you who are entertaining the possibility of a 4:3 re-release of DBZ, is this hope based on anything? Like, has FUNi hinted anywhere that they're unhappy with what they did to the show? Or are people here just really, really optimistic?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Oh gosh, the safety specials. DAY ONE.
On a completely off-topic note, I've been seeing "day one" written a LOT lately on various forums. Is there some new internet meme I'm missing?
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:46 pm

FUNimation has laid out no such hints. I have absolutely no idea were this newfound optimism for DragonBall Z in 4:3 is coming from, but that feels like a facetious hope to me. I think it's more a case of one person's optimism having brought out the wishful thinking in others.

~Da Lemmy