Upcoming DragonBall Announcement: Speculation and Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:04 pm

I'm willing to admit right now that my hope in a release of Z in 4:3 without the shoddy remastering (and on DVD rather than solely Blu-Ray to boot) is just a personal hope and belief in something that will likely never happen, at least not right now.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:41 pm

MagicBox wrote:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Oh gosh, the safety specials. DAY ONE.
On a completely off-topic note, I've been seeing "day one" written a LOT lately on various forums. Is there some new internet meme I'm missing?
It's short for "day one purchase." Nothing funny or special about it.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:00 pm

My guesses are:

-DB Movie 1
-DB movies: double release format
-Anniversary Special
-Just a confirmation that they will eventually be doing Kai. Most likely SMEs planned for 2010.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Mystery Person X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mystery Person X » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:47 pm

"Stay tuned for more information regarding the series" does not imply that they'll be making any kind of significant announcement. At all. To me it just suggests that more specific information about these new DB box sets will become available.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:41 am

Innagadadavida wrote:I guess the two most obvious are either remastered Dragon Ball movies or video game news. But FUNimation did say that they want everything and anything Dragon Ball because "it prints frickin' money." So it could also be the JUMP special or the video game OVA that some fans want so bad. Either of those would be a-ok for me. :lol:

It could also be news for Dragon Ball Z on Blu-Ray. Or maybe news of a Kai dub. Kai doesn't seem very likely, though.
Most dubs usually don't start until the Japanese had a head start, take Brotherhood for example. FUNimation has the rights but they're not dubbing it as the Japanese aren't that far yet.

I'd expect a Kai dub possibly in 1 or 2 years.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:44 am

Even though I don't think this is what it is, I think FUNimation needs to start putting Dragonball Z on Comcast On Demand. They already have their own section, and I know it would be a huge hit. Just my opinion.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:33 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:Even though I don't think this is what it is, I think FUNimation needs to start putting Dragonball Z on Comcast On Demand. They already have their own section, and I know it would be a huge hit. Just my opinion.

I'd like Funi to air dbz on their TV channel. Even if its only once a day or once a week. :mrgreen:

CN probably still has the rights though...even though they probably won't ever air it again on their network. :?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:46 pm

Chuquita wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:Even though I don't think this is what it is, I think FUNimation needs to start putting Dragonball Z on Comcast On Demand. They already have their own section, and I know it would be a huge hit. Just my opinion.

I'd like Funi to air dbz on their TV channel. Even if its only once a day or once a week. :mrgreen:

CN probably still has the rights though...even though they probably won't ever air it again on their network. :?
If I recall correctly, Funi WAS airing Dragonball on their channel for awhile. All I saw was episodes 1 - 13 and 21st Budoukai stuff.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:13 pm

RoarkVegeta wrote:
Chuquita wrote:

If I recall correctly, Funi WAS airing Dragonball on their channel for awhile. All I saw was episodes 1 - 13 and 21st Budoukai stuff.

Ah, I wouldn't know; I recently got their channel only a month or so ago. ^^;;

Good to know they would be capable of airing it though, and I hope they do in the future.
Last edited by Chuquita on Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:13 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:
Innagadadavida wrote:I guess the two most obvious are either remastered Dragon Ball movies or video game news. But FUNimation did say that they want everything and anything Dragon Ball because "it prints frickin' money." So it could also be the JUMP special or the video game OVA that some fans want so bad. Either of those would be a-ok for me. :lol:

It could also be news for Dragon Ball Z on Blu-Ray. Or maybe news of a Kai dub. Kai doesn't seem very likely, though.
Most dubs usually don't start until the Japanese had a head start, take Brotherhood for example. FUNimation has the rights but they're not dubbing it as the Japanese aren't that far yet.

I'd expect a Kai dub possibly in 1 or 2 years.
Thanks to the accessibility of digisubs though, this isn't exactly a reliable trend anymore. Note how lots of dubbing companies now offer same day/week downloadable subbed episodes. This is why I wouldn't be surprised if the released the series in Soccer Mom Editions first.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:29 pm

Thought this was interesting. On FUNi's Twitter, one person asked:

"Hey u guys got any DBZ projects in the works?"

then FUNi replied:

"Always. ;)"

Hmm. :?:

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:33 pm

Big Boss wrote:Thought this was interesting. On FUNi's Twitter, one person asked:

then FUNi replied:

"Always. ;)"

The plot thickens!

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:39 pm

Big Boss wrote:Thought this was interesting. On FUNi's Twitter, one person asked:

then FUNi replied:

"Always. ;)"

That could mean anything.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:41 pm

Raki wrote:

then FUNi replied:

"Always. ;)"

But it doesn't mean nothing. Think about it.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:15 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:
Raki wrote:

then FUNi replied:

"Always. ;)"

But it doesn't mean nothing. Think about it.
So are they planning on giving whatever new material they acquired a real release and not some gimmick treatment? It's really hard to get excited about anything that Toei and Funimation do nowadays cause it's so damn backwards.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

coinmanmat

Post by coinmanmat » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:25 am

Well yeah because FUNimation isnt going to say what they're working on so to answer that question without giving away any details