Embarassing moments in Dragonball fandom

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Embarassing moments in Dragonball fandom

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:11 am

I am listening to a past episode of Daizenshuu EX The Podcast, episode 119, to be exact. I was listening to Mike and Meri chatter on about what they did as kids, being sick and staying at home, and what they did. Mike said something about when he was watching the Season 3 tapes "This is kind of embarassing" for how he "reviewed" the tapes. So this gave me an idea. What are your most embarrassing moments while being a Dragonball fan? Maybe it's something you typed up on a forum, with illegible typing, or just being a dumb-ass. So, here's mine.

Back in 2004-2005, I was playing Budokai 3, and I had access to a Computer, so I typed up a review on a game site. Thanks to the power of the Internet, I have dug up this review from the depths of time and space itself. So, here it is:

Anyone who loves DBZ to death will LOVE this game. Jam-packed with over 40 characters from DBZ, DBZ movies, and even DBGT, and even flying ALL OF THE TIME. The DBGT Characters: S.S.4 Goku, S.S.4 Vegeta, if you have those two, you will need the fusion version of those two in fusion form in S.S.4., right, well, you got it! S.S.4 Gogeta is here, with his kick-ass move, 100% Big Bang KaMeHaMeHa! S.S.4 Goku was said to be a seperate character, said on MANY DBZ websites...LIE!!!!!!!!!!! S.S.4 Goku is SO not a seperate character! you can become him in regular form, S.S., S.S.2, S.S.3, and go straight to the unbeliveable strength of S.S.4!!! The other fusion characters are Gotenks, and S.S.2 Gogeta, from DBZ Movie 12. Bascially, you got every fusion from DBZ-DBGT That acually FIGHTS! (Kibitokai not avalable) But, you CAN, somehow, get the Supreme Kai. I never got him, though. The fighting is awsome! when it says "Recreates the lightning speed of DBZ" on the Budokai 3 box, they ain't lying! GET THIS GAME!!!!!!!

As you can tell, it is a long, ineligible rant on how awesome Budokai 3 is. It's still awesome today, but I just wanted to let all you good people know how I was as a 15 year old boy. Make fun of me as you wish, I don't give a damn, I laugh at myself when I do stupid stuff, and this is no different! :lol:
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:32 am

I don't really get embarassed often, since I kind of have a goofy personality and don't care what others think about me. I did get some odd looks from my coworkers the other day, though. I guess they've never seen anyone attempt a kamehameha before.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:16 am

I used to always mess up words like quizzically, confuse my e's and i's, abuse exclamation marks, abuse caps lock (especially in my stories. Whenever someone would yell or raise their voice: hello caps lock), occasionally confuse my q's and g's, and spam emoticons.

While the following isn't embarrassing, it is an example of how I sounded at 15. It's an author's note from the tail end of my first dbz fic.

15 year old Chuquita wrote:Well, that's the end of Veggienapped. ;_; :cries: I loved working on this fic so much too. I hope everyone who read it enjoyed it. I'm pretty proud of it and it's my best fic out of all the ones I've written, (and Gawd I've written alotta fics in the past 2 years) This is also the one that got done the fastest, and I think that's cuz I had the want to write it. :) Like I said before in the Chuey's Corner above, I'll be writting a new fic. This time it'll be another of my fave DBZ people getting in trouble this time; everyone's favorite food-lovin baka, Goku! Part one should be out sometime the end of this week or beginning of next week. Depends on when I get the time. Later! ^u^

-Chuquita

It's bubblier and littered with spelling/grammar errors along with the occasional slang word or phrase, but that's how I wrote back then.
It makes me shake my head and groan now, but its not awful.
I kind of wish we would get some more new animated dbz material so I could get that excited again.

If you want to talk writing that I'm actually embarrassed about, you'd have to go further back waaaaaaay before I got into Dragon Ball to find that. Even if I could pull some of that stuff up, its not DB-related so it'd be totally irrelevant. ^^;
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:41 pm

I'm embarassed that everytime I view a Dragonball related video on Youtube, I see morons posting utter nonsense. Everything from power levels to Naruto vs DeeBeeZee to Ocean vs Funi garbage. To think that these people represent the fanbase to the average video viewer who may know nothing about Dragonball.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

SweetCosmicPope
Beyond Newbie

Post by SweetCosmicPope » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:47 pm

What Raki said...

Now, as for dumbass stuff I did...

We had a party at my dad's house when I was 17, I think. We called it the NTO Bash (don't ask...). Anyways, my friend Kristin brought her younger brother who was also a dragonball fan, who had never drank alcohol before.

I don't remember much after passing out drunk watching Magical Twilight, but apparently, at some point in the evening, her brother and I began throwing kamehameha and makankosappo waves at one another.

Embarrassing.
"That's Peter Grave's Scat! I'd recognize it anywhere!" - The Film Crew

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:55 pm

Sadly, I am always the first to play Dragonball games at a birthday party. ._.

In second grade I was always like "KAMEHAMEHA!" to anyone I saw o_O

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:21 pm

RoarkVegeta wrote:Sadly, I am always the first to play Dragonball games at a birthday party. ._.

In second grade I was always like "KAMEHAMEHA!" to anyone I saw o_O
I don't think I was ever that crazy... :lol:

At least I don't think so, oh God, I've been brainwashed! :shock:
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:42 pm

Maybe it's something you typed up on a forum, with illegible typing, or just being a dumb-ass
I don't usually get embarrassed for post I make here but one post in particular made me feel like an ass....

http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

Oh well. :D

Pain
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Pain » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:26 pm

My most embarrassing moment on this forum in general would be the argument that I had with "the1payday" over me being an elitist N00b and using Japanese pronunciations for the names. We went on and on about nothing, until the all-knowing hand of VEGETTO EX pwned us both. lulz.

If the 1payday is viewing this, I'm apologizing for the argument, if I hadn't already. :wink:

http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.p ... sc&start=0

Here's the link to the thread.
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:32 pm

-Everytime I end up in/witness a sub vs dub debate for Z. Original and GT are fine, though.
-My shitty fanfiction from 2002.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:45 pm

Oh, for me there are many different embarrassing things I can associate with Dragon Ball, both past and present. I can immediately think of four things right off the bat:

1. I still own all of my old third season and beyond DBZ tapes from back in the day. As early as last summer due to my extreme boredom, I popped the start of the Freeza battle into my VCR and watched all the way through to the time Cell absorbs #18 (sans Garlic Jr.), since I never did get any tapes after that despite always wanting to up until the time DVD completely took over.

2. To this day, those tapes are still the only form of Dragon Ball I own on any sort of home media outlet. I never picked up any of FUNimation's DVD singles when they were being released. I wanted to start buying the Ultimate Uncut versions, but lack of money preventing me from doing so. After seeing the first season set in stores I contemplated buying it, but held off until I could get an in-depth review; coincidentally, that's what brought me back to Daizenshuu EX after so many years. Now, I'm contemplating just buying them anyway despite not wanting to financially support these lackluster releases just so I can finally own the series, but I'm holding off just a little longer to see if maybe FUNimation will do what they're best at - rereleasing the series.

3. I'm guilty of placing myself in as a character within the series. That includes the present day, sadly. When bored in class, I tend to daydream - that includes taking on Freeza and his army.

4. Now for the most embarassing - back in middle school I used to believe that you could actually go Super Saiya-jin, completely ignoring the necessary element of having to be a Saiya-jin. One day I finally decided that I was going to do it, and I clenched my fists and started 'raising my power level', which in reality was just lots of grunting and getting red in the face.

...I did that twice.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:12 pm

Char Aznable wrote:4. Now for the most embarassing - back in middle school I used to believe that you could actually go Super Saiya-jin, completely ignoring the necessary element of having to be a Saiya-jin. One day I finally decided that I was going to do it, and I clenched my fists and started 'raising my power level', which in reality was just lots of grunting and getting red in the face.

...I did that twice.
That is awesome. You win the thread.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:30 pm

Semi-embarrased, but not too much as I was alone at the time. When I first watched the scene where Goku threw the Spirit Bomb at Buu, I got a little too into it and stood up and yelled at the tv, "NOW DIE YOU SON OF A BITCH! DIE!" Realizing what just happened, covered my mouth and sighed in relief that my mom wasn't home as face would've been really red had she been, both from the moment and from the big imprint her hand would've had on my face. (At the time my mom was along the lines of stereotypical Southern Black mother who will slap her kids in the face if she hears them cursing within earshot of her, no matter how old they are).

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:07 pm

Embarrassing posts on the forum?

Trying to defend my shitty bootleg sets. I'm lucky I wasn't banned for that one.

Totally breaking down after 4 nights of no sleep and typing up a long winded rant about how much dub fans piss me off (okay so this was fairly recent...it still counts.)

Embarrassing shit elsewhere?

Shouting very very very loudly and tossing my controller at the T.V after screwing up tournament mode in Budokai 1.

Telling my friends false rumors about Dragonball I heard on gamefaqs.

Being like the Nostalgia Critic bum to all my friends after a new DBZ game comes out (OH MY GOOOOD THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVEEEEERRR!!!!!) and then a week later go "Meh, it is okay".
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:26 pm

I'm not sure if i every did this here, but at one point in time I took every Japanese thing in Dragon Ball literally, such as saying World King, Ox Demon King, World King Fist, Sun Fist, Kamehame Wave..... They aren't necessarily wrong, but that's pretty embarassing... :oops:

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:50 am

I was milked by Bussani and VegettoEX when I posted this thread. :lol:
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:10 am

Listening to the Japanese songs when I was a kid and still living with my family. My sister actually came out and said I was "weird and have bad taste in music." I was embarrassing at first, I'll admit.

But that actually fueled my ever-increasing interest in J-Music, because I'm a spiteful bastard.

To this day, I blare J-Pop/J-Rock really loud every day in my car, and don't give a shit what people think. :D
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:27 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:I was milked by Bussani and VegettoEX when I posted this thread. :lol:
And in 2006... >_>

Tweaker
Regular

Post by Tweaker » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:35 am

When I was a kid and watching Dragon Ball Z on Toonami and the like, I would frequently throw pillows--cleverly dubbed "energy blasts"--at my older brother, who was into the show just as much as I was at the time. I would also routinely do little "power-up" sequences in my room with the door locked, with the distant hope that one day, it would actually do something. Alas, that day never came. :(

Another sort of weird one--I used to look at myself upside-down in the bathroom so my hair would stick up; this was to make me look like either a super saiyan or Vegeta... I don't remember which. Maybe a bit of both. =P

I also used to do this thing with my fingers where I had two makeshift people do epic battles... since I could move my fingers fast, it looked like DBZ-style fighting. Fun! And horribly embarrassing, I guess.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:42 am

This was when I was like 11... I was trying to watch the new episode on Toonami with my best friend and my dick head dad was there and told us we couldn't watch it, and I ended up crying, then he ended up watching it with us, and it was the cat likes food episode...

It was embarrassing on three levels, me crying to get my way, my friend was there, and my dad's only look at DBZ is CAT LOVES FOOD! YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH! Other than that, he's seen all the DVDs, books and games of the series I have.