English Dragon Box Release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:00 pm

What!!! What???

Oh, now, I'm sad/angry.

First off, this set is catering to the Japanese fans. Not that's a bad thing in and of itself, but now, as a dub fan, I need to change a show I've seen in English forever into my own language!?

Well, as long as the dub track is included along with the Faulconer music, I suppose I can handle it.

Fortuanlty, I only bought 1 orange brick, so... that's not too bad.

What appals me the most is how easily most people have ditched the season sets. I mean, it's not like I was under an illusion that most people liked it, but seeing something I love being just thrown away? It makes me sad.

As a dub fan, I've been forced to deal with almost everyone telling me that it sucks. On top of that, I adore the orange bricks, and no one else does. I've had to deal with that too. And now, it turns out that FUNi is now ditching me (Well, my demographic) in favor of the other fans!?

*sigh*

Well, as long as I get my dub voices and music, I can deal with this.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm not excited. It's just a little dishearting seeing FUNi do this. I loved my one orange brick. And now, with this new release that I probably won't even be able to buy...

I guess I'll have to wait and see how this plays out. At the very least, as long as my music and voices are included, I suppose I'll be able to see the show as it was intended... Despite my love for Widescreen.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:00 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:I'm going to keep my Season Sets until I find out more information. First, I want broadcast audio; I want the Falconor music. I want the same 5.1 Surround Sound dub that came with the Season Sets. I want the Pladia footage and the TV Specials. :D
Playdia footage may be asking a lot, although one would assume that getting it would mean a fairly high-quality dub to go along with it.

~Da Lemmy

Presc503
Beyond Newbie

Post by Presc503 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:02 pm

Honestly, when I first saw the headline, I thought someone had necroposted on an old thread because it was already eleven pages and I hadn't seen anything with that title over the past couple of days. Then I clicked on the first page, clicked a link, and dropped a deuce in my pants.

I rarely post on here; I'm mostly a lurker, but this information has floored me. I've known for nearly four hours now and am still in shock with this news.

Time to go sell some singles. I also have the movies DBOX if anyone is interested??? Haha!

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:03 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:
Innagadadavida wrote:I'm going to keep my Season Sets until I find out more information. First, I want broadcast audio; I want the Falconor music. I want the same 5.1 Surround Sound dub that came with the Season Sets. I want the Pladia footage and the TV Specials. :D
Playdia footage may be asking a lot, although one would assume that getting it would mean a fairly high-quality dub to go along with it.

~Da Lemmy
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if they do, because it looks like FUNi is actually doing things right this time around. Took 'em a while though.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:04 pm

This is... wow. No words, just... wow. It's so friggin odd seeing that FUNimation logo on this box. Man...

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:05 pm

jda95 wrote:Well, I wouldn't be surprised if they do, because it looks like FUNi is actually doing things right this time around. Took 'em a while though.
FUNimation is really going the extra mile for the fans. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they did include it.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:07 pm

That would be awesome if they included 'Plan to Eradicate the Saiya-jin' on either this or a future Dragon Box release, but I'm not so sure if it'll be dubbed or not. If it is included, I can see it being sub only.

I have no problems with that, but a dub would be pretty cool as a nice little bonus.
Last edited by Char Aznable on Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:07 pm

jda95 wrote:Well, I wouldn't be surprised if they do, because it looks like FUNi is actually doing things right this time around. Took 'em a while though.
I remain iffy about what, if any, special features will appear in these sets. FUNimation's line of thinking may just end up being that they're Dragon Boxes and the episodes are enough.

Don't get me wrong; I want Playdia footage too. Not for the sake of having it, but so that it would stop being such a constant topic of conversation over on the FUNimation forums. I keep trying to invest myself in that community, but seeing a topic pop up for THAT of all things every other week drives me insane.

Also, I didn't realize until just, just now that you and I have basically the same avatar. :shock:

~Da Lemmy
Last edited by Li'l Lemmy on Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:07 pm

The only problem for me now is that I'm afraid to buy anything in the way of movies/specials now, for fear that a better option is just around the corner. My Dragonball dvd purchasing is now on hiatus.

Oh, are these going to be released in plentiful supply? Or is it a limited release?...Hopefully we don't have to fight each other for them.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:07 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:
FUNimation is really going the extra mile for the fans. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they did include it.
In the past couple of years with their recent anime, they did things right and everything. Finally, Dragon Ball is getting the treatment I deserve. Ultimately, the dub and these sets are not for me, but I am really glad to see that..... this is happening.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:08 pm

FUNimation does a pretty decent job with every other anime. I'm really glad to see them head DragonBall in the same direction they do with all there other properties.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:08 pm

VenomSymbiote wrote:As a dub fan, I've been forced to deal with almost everyone telling me that it sucks. On top of that, I adore the orange bricks, and no one else does. I've had to deal with that too. And now, it turns out that FUNi is now ditching me (Well, my demographic) in favor of the other fans!?
Ditching you? Dude, you love the Orange Bricks and the whole series has been released in Orange Brick style. They gave you everything. There's nothing more to give. Ditching you would be to cancel the release in the middle of the series for this the way they ditched all the 4:3 fans in the middle of the Ultimate Uncut release after they'd been collecting the DVD singles for years.

You're not being ditched. You were first in line before the rest of us. You got what you wanted. Let us have some spotlight now. :D

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:10 pm

VenomSymbiote wrote:
What appals me the most is how easily most people have ditched the season sets. I mean, it's not like I was under an illusion that most people liked it, but seeing something I love being just thrown away? It makes me sad.
We didn't want them to begin with. All they have done is divide the fanbase. Hell I'll sell you all my sets for 180 dollars.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:14 pm

But they should at least give us dub music. They said "hardcore fans," not "fans of the Japanese version."
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:15 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:But they should at least give us dub music. They said "hardcore fans," not "fans of the Japanese version."
This consoles me. Like I said, as long as my voices and music are included, I can handle everything else they're planning to do with these sets.

disturbed001
Regular

Post by disturbed001 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:16 pm

Hey, anyone putting R2 singles or dragonboxes on Ebay need to post links!
"hmm lets see.....nope, I don't have any Jewish candy"

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:17 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:But they should at least give us dub music. They said "hardcore fans," not "fans of the Japanese version."
I'm sure that they realize that the dub with japanese bgm came too late to be accepted by either side. I certainly didn't see its merit, and I read posts from other people who didn't as well. I am fully expecting the dub to have dub music.
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:17 pm

VenomSymbiote wrote:What!!! What???

Oh, now, I'm sad/angry.

First off, this set is catering to the Japanese fans. Not that's a bad thing in and of itself, but now, as a dub fan, I need to change a show I've seen in English forever into my own language!?

Well, as long as the dub track is included along with the Faulconer music, I suppose I can handle it.

Fortuanlty, I only bought 1 orange brick, so... that's not too bad.

As a dub fan, I've been forced to deal with almost everyone telling me that it sucks. On top of that, I adore the orange bricks, and no one else does. I've had to deal with that too. And now, it turns out that FUNi is now ditching me (Well, my demographic) in favor of the other fans!?

*sigh*

Well, as long as I get my dub voices and music, I can deal with this.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm not excited. It's just a little dishearting seeing FUNi do this. I loved my one orange brick. And now, with this new release that I probably won't even be able to buy...

I guess I'll have to wait and see how this plays out. At the very least, as long as my music and voices are included, I suppose I'll be able to see the show as it was intended... Despite my love for Widescreen.
Look at it this way… the dub fans have been catered to since day one for the past 13 years. This is like… the first Dragon Ball North American release in the series’ entire sordid history in the states to be catered specifically to the fans who, in some (though of course not all) cases, were here way the hell before any of the dub fans. The first one. Specifically for us. Ever. In 13 years.

The dub fanbase has been favored every step of the way for a decade and change… this is the first time ever that FUNi is openly acknowledging the other side of the coin. This is the first time that they’re blatantly acknowledging that the dub is not favored by EVERYONE (more so than even when they put subs on the DVDs at all).

I don’t mean to sound like a dick but seriously man… let us have this one. Please. I myself have been waiting for something like this since 1993, and I know my fair share of people who’ve been waiting just as long, if not longer. I think we earned it.

Japanese version fans have had to make a bee-line for the language option for this whole decade’s worth of U.S. Dragon Ball DVD releases up till this one… I think after all that time for all those releases, it’s only fair that the dub side of the fanbase gets their turn at having to do that, if only just this once.
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:18 pm

disturbed001 wrote:Hey, anyone putting R2 singles or dragonboxes on Ebay need to post links!
http://cgi.ebay.com/DragonBall-Z-R2-DVD ... 1|294%3A50

disturbed001
Regular

Post by disturbed001 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:21 pm

Aren't those the things Tanooki ended up not selling?
"hmm lets see.....nope, I don't have any Jewish candy"