Let's have 7 disks instead of 6...email FUNi!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Big Boss
Regular

Let's have 7 disks instead of 6...email FUNi!

Post by Big Boss » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:46 am

Alright, we all know that FUNi have said they'll put their Dragon Box's across 6 disks, meaning we'll have 7 episodes per disk, which will be compromising video quality. So what me and a few others are doing, is we're emailing FUNi telling them we want 7 disks...6 episodes per disk. This is ideal, as it won't compromise quality, and ties in with the Japanese Dragon Box.

I think we should all email FUNi and let them know about this issue, just so we get the best possible release. Post your emails in this thread.

Email: feedback@funimation.com

Here's what I wrote;
Big Boss wrote:Dear FUNimation,

I would first like to express how delighted I am with you regarding your acquisition of the Dragon Box from Toei Animation. Us Dragon Ball fans have been waiting for this release for a long time, so your announcement of the set came as a surprise, and with excitement.

Now, your press release and representative stated that "Dragon Box 1" will contain the first 42 episodes of Dragon Ball Z across 6 disks. This may pose a potential problem, as that means 7 episodes, as well as 2 audio tracks and subtitles, will have to be crammed onto 1 disk...lower video/audio bitrates will have to be forced to make sure it fits on the DVD. Unfortunately, this means a compromise in video and audio quality. The Dragon Box's have always been about quality, so you can imagine how the majority of us are feeling about this issue. So, what we are all suggesting (and I'm sure you'll be getting quite a few of these emails) is that you spread the 42 episodes over 7 disks, instead of 6. This means 6 episodes will be fit onto 1 disk, thus allowing more space and higher video/audio bitrates for our viewing pleasure. It also ties in with the Japanese Dragon Box, as they had 6 episodes per-disk, too.

Thanks for your time, and we hope you'll address this issue.
Apparently, emailing FUNi is how the season sets went from 5 disks to 6.
Last edited by Big Boss on Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Re: Let's have 7 disks instead of 6

Post by ect5150 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:51 am

Big Boss wrote:Alright, we all know that FUNi have said they'll put their Dragon Box's across 6 disks, meaning we'll have 7 episodes per disk, which will be compromising video quality. So what me and a few others are doing, is we're emailing FUNi telling them we want 7 disks...6 episodes per disk. This is ideal, as it won't compromise quality, and ties in with the Japanese Dragon Box.

I think we should all email FUNi and let them know about this issue, just so we get the best possible release.

Email: feedback@funimation.com

Here's what I wrote;
Big Boss wrote:Dear FUNimation,

I would first like to express how delighted I am with you regarding your acquisition of the Dragon Box from Toei Animation. Us Dragon Ball fans have been waiting for this release for a long time, so your announcement of the set came as a surprise, and with excitement.

Now, your press release and representative stated that "Dragon Box 1" will contain the first 42 episodes of Dragon Ball Z across 6 disks. This may pose a potential problem, as that means 7 episodes, as well as 2 audio tracks and subtitles, will have to be crammed onto 1 disk...lower video/audio bitrates will have to be forced to make sure it fits on the DVD. Unfortunately, this means a compromise in video and audio quality. The Dragon Box's have always been about quality, so you can imagine how the majority of us are feeling about this issue. So, what we are all suggesting (and I'm sure you'll be getting quite a few of these emails) is that you spread the 42 episodes over 7 disks, instead of 6. This means 6 episodes will be fit onto 1 disk, thus allowing more space and higher video/audio bitrates for our viewing pleasure. It also ties in with the Japanese Dragon Box, as they had 6 episodes per-disk, too.

Thanks for your time, and we hope you'll address this issue.
Apparently, emailing FUNi is how the season sets went from 5 disks to 6.
Sounds good, but you should also say you are willing to accept a small increase in price as well... would $5 more be too much if it got you what you wanted?
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:57 am

I'm sure that's a small price to pay for a quality release.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:12 am

Big Boss wrote:I'm sure that's a small price to pay for a quality release.
All I'm saying is you should let them know it so they don't think they're giving something for nothing.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

disturbed001
Regular

Post by disturbed001 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:12 am

Honestly I would like to email them and just day, "Hey, the Dragon Box release is great, but I can guarantee that us fans would willingly pay more to have the right amount of episodes per disc knowing that with the audio track the video quality will not suffer"

Yeah, something like that...
"hmm lets see.....nope, I don't have any Jewish candy"

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:14 am

ect5150 wrote:
Big Boss wrote:I'm sure that's a small price to pay for a quality release.
All I'm saying is you should let them know it so they don't think they're giving something for nothing.
Well, it's too late now...they know what I mean anyway. :lol:

I trust you're sending an email too? :)
disturbed001 wrote:Honestly I would like to email them and just day, "Hey, the Dragon Box release is great, but I can guarantee that us fans would willingly pay more to have the right amount of episodes per disc knowing that with the audio track the video quality will not suffer"

Yeah, something like that...
Just send it. The more the better...just be a bit more specific with it. :P

The Time Traveller
I Live Here

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:45 am

E-MAILED!

I wrote a long'n too, hopefully all the issued I talked about get addressed, like no alternate angles and choosing Japanese titles over English ones, including title cards, and that Episode names provided in the booklets and the DVD menu will be Japanese titles in English.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:46 am

You know, I cannot fathom why companies like FUNI just don't open up a survey online for these types of things in this day and age.

Look at all the troubles they could have saved themselves:

"Hey, would you like us to release DBZ in order, or in some random segments?" (referring to the order of the original releases)

"Hey, would you like us to remaster DBZ ourselves? or get the DragonBoxes?"

"Hey, would you like 16:9 or 4:3 DBZ?"

"Hey, do you want the new intro to GT to be close to the original or some rap music?"

"Hey, how many episodes per disc do you think we should use?"

Does anyone else see the trend?
ect5150

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by Kid Trunks » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:06 pm

ect5150 wrote:You know, I cannot fathom why companies like FUNI just don't open up a survey online for these types of things in this day and age.

"Hey, would you like us to release DBZ in order, or in some random segments?" (referring to the order of the original releases)

"Hey, would you like us to remaster DBZ ourselves? or get the DragonBoxes?"

"Hey, would you like 16:9 or 4:3 DBZ?"

"Hey, do you want the new intro to GT to be close to the original or some rap music?"

"Hey, how many episodes per disc do you think we should use?"

I totally agree. That'd make life easier for us and Funimation.

I sent my email. Dunno if it'll help at all, but at least I did my part, and for that I actually feel good. :P

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:34 pm

Sent.
my e-mail wrote:Dear FUNimation,
I think I can safely speak for a large percentage of the fanbase when I say thank you for licensing the Dragon Box masters from Japan. This is the opportunity that we thought was lost after the season sets.

However, as with any release, there are a few things that might go wrong if not addressed properly. Please don't think me picky, I only want the best quality available of Dragon Ball - and so do many others. Could you possibly up the number of discs from 6 to 7 in your first Dragon Box? With at least 2 audio tracks, subtitles, and (hopefully) alternate angles, the bitrate might suffer. Since the Dragon Box is known for its encode quality as well as its restoration, I believe it might be the best choice to attempt to emulate that as best possible. There were 7 discs to 42 episodes in the Japanese Dragon Box, which - mind you - had only one audio track.

Please understand that I only wish for the best release possible. Recall that, according to previous interviews, DBZ Season One's disc count was upped from 5 to 6 for similar quality increase reasons. Thank you for your time, and if possible, could you please let me know this was received? Thank you very much.

-Kevin
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

gallagtor
Beyond Newbie

Re: Let's have 7 disks instead of 6...email FUNi!

Post by gallagtor » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:47 pm

Big Boss wrote:Alright, we all know that FUNi have said they'll put their Dragon Box's across 6 disks, meaning we'll have 7 episodes per disk, which will be compromising video quality. So what me and a few others are doing, is we're emailing FUNi telling them we want 7 disks...6 episodes per disk. This is ideal, as it won't compromise quality, and ties in with the Japanese Dragon Box.
Weren't you defending "how video compression has drastically changed since 2003." in the other thread?
"Look at these guns baybah! Peow, peow!" -Broli

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:49 pm

gallagtor wrote:
Weren't you defending "how video compression has drastically changed since 2003." in the other thread?
Yes I was. And I still stand by it.

However, according to Corey, FUNi use really outdated encoders. And I don't want to take any risks. No one in their right mind would, we want this release to be perfect.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:52 pm

gallagtor wrote:Weren't you defending "how video compression has drastically changed since 2003." in the other thread?
While compression has gotten better, I don't personally know what kind of encoders that FUNimation uses or how good they are. No matter what FUNimation has in mind for encoding these and no matter what kind of equipment they own, they'll know that high quality encoding is on our minds and they (hopefully) will do whatever they need to in order to give us the highest quality possible.

Personally, I don't foresee such a loss that I'll personally go apeshit over it, but I don't see a problem in asking for the best we can get.

gallagtor
Beyond Newbie

Post by gallagtor » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:00 pm

Well I think there is no doubt in anyone's mind that the bitrate will suffer on these sets unless another disc is added. I'm just a little annoyed that when I pointed this out initially, everyone said "You probably won't even notice it. Probably."
"Look at these guns baybah! Peow, peow!" -Broli

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:06 pm

gallagtor wrote:Well I think there is no doubt in anyone's mind that the bitrate will suffer on these sets unless another disc is added. I'm just a little annoyed that when I pointed this out initially, everyone said "You probably won't even notice it. Probably."
Yeah well...times change. :wink:

We need more emails...MOAR.

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by BrollysKin » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:08 pm

Last time I emailed funi it was in protest of the season sets. Lets hope this one actually works. :lol:

BTW I just copied one of the previous emails and added my own name at the end of it. But you'll never know what email it was!
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:14 pm

gallagtor wrote:Well I think there is no doubt in anyone's mind that the bitrate will suffer on these sets unless another disc is added. I'm just a little annoyed that when I pointed this out initially, everyone said "You probably won't even notice it. Probably."
Yeah, I knew there would be a problem too. Not only will there be at least one extra audio track (possibly 5.1), but these episodes also have next episode previews. People saying seven Dragon Box episodes on a single disc is comparable to seven Orange Brick episodes on a disc clearly overlooked that fact. Almost an entire episodes worth of extra footage will have to be squeezed onto these discs from the NEPs alone. That's a lot of extra data to be accounted for. The bitrate will obviously take a hit.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:14 pm

I'm seeing on Twitter that Mike is asking someone to "run some numbers to figure out the general bitrate hits another audio track + episode would do on FUNi's DBox discs." So, hopefully, we'll soon figure out for sure what's going on.
BrollysKin wrote:Last time I emailed funi it was in protest of the season sets. Lets hope this one actually works. :lol:
It did! We're talking about R1 Dragon Boxes! :D
BTW I just copied one of the previous emails and added my own name at the end of it. But you'll never know what email it was!

Lazyass. :wink:

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:22 pm

I e-mailed 'em. :D
Hey, FUNimation! Long time fan here. I'd just like to make a suggestion for the upcoming Dragon Box release. Despite the fact that compression technology has improved over the years, I'm a little concerned with the bit rate of the episodes if there is going to be 7 episodes per disc. The original Japanese release had only 6 episodes per disc and that was with only one audio track. Needless to say, the quality was really good with all that extra space.

I suggest you guys up the disc count to 7 per release. I'd be willing to pay a little more if you split those 6 extra episodes to one disc. I'd also like to mention that us fans of the broadcast audio, or Falconor's background music, would prefer if this release contains that track as well. I'd like to know that there are three audio tracks before I consider replacing my Season Sets. I'd also like to know if you guys are doing Dragon Ball and GT before I'll buy the Z sets. I'm not going to have a mismatched collection.

Kuhan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kuhan » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:23 pm

ect5150 wrote:You know, I cannot fathom why companies like FUNI just don't open up a survey online for these types of things in this day and age.

But dude! Step into the Grand Tour! :P

btw, love your avatar :D
[quote="Masako-kun / MasakoX as Goku"]This is worse than that time I was in high school! And all the guys called me Geeko, and I was Piccolo's slave, and I couldn't get Chi-Chi to like me... Oh wow, I hit that rock harder than I thought.[/quote]
Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/kuhan