DragonBall Evolution DVD Dissection! (BluRay Now On Page 7)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

DragonBall Evolution DVD Dissection! (BluRay Now On Page 7)

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:54 pm

So here it is, the movie we've all been monitoring since early development: DragonBall Evolution. First off I'm gonna say this is a bare bones release (Correction: It's "middle of the road" at worst). It's just the DVD, no booklet and a hand full of extras. I'm not gonna waste space with showing you the cover, we all know what that looks like by now. So here is the back...

When I opened it up there was a recycle logo cut right into the case, I thought that was pretty funny. Also under the disc it's cut out too so... what's up with that? The art they chose for the disc ain't too bad though...

As for what's on the actual disc. The menu's show various scenes of the movie with the menu options on the bottom...

The special features consist of...

Deleted scenes consist of...

A shot of Mai's death by stabbing... I think this would have been better then Yamcha shooting her but, then again this whole movie is a little odd so if she died by stabbing or shooting it really wouldn't have made much of a difference.

You'll notice another special feature is "Goku's workout". What is it? Well it's two guys who worked on the movie showing you how they pulled off some of Goku's moves. So you would think they just show you how to edit a movie so it looks like people are fighting right? Well it's two guys behind a poorly drawn CGI background doing some stupid ass moves, I couldn't watch this more then 5 seconds...

Another special feature is the gag reel. I'm gonna just tell you right now that no, that dance they do on top of that rock thingy isn't here, sorry. But what is here is some weird shots that weren't even in the movie. It looks like Goku's transformation was going to look a little different in the early stages, and we've seen this in early shots of the movie. But now there is a few scenes in the gag reel with this transformed Goku that aren't even bloopers! Maybe being they didn't use this look is a blooper?

Hey two Yamcha's... wait how is this a blooper?

The languages consist of...

Yea, no Japanese. Did anyone really expect a Japanese track though?

...A Shot of the scene selection menu...

And just for good measure I suppose I should put up some screen shots...

And that's about it. :D
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:41 pm, edited 7 times in total.

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:58 pm

I'm so jealous right now...

I like the DVD look though. It's better than I thought.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:08 pm

How is this "bare bones"? I have seen, and OWN, DVDs that skimp on the MENUS. This has alternate audio tracks, subtitles, disc art, and special features. That's nowhere near bare bones. At worst it's "middle of the road".

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Did any of the Deleted Scenes seem like they would've made the movie any better for fans? Cameos, references, etc.?

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:13 pm

This movie may be more enjoyable in Portuguese. I'm getting a huge DBZ funi singles vibe from that menu screen.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:17 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze, you're right. I corrected it :lol:. I think I got really spoiled by the extra's that I've been getting on bigger movies I guess.
Did any of the Deleted Scenes seem like they would've made the movie any better for fans? Cameos, references, etc.?
In my opinion no, but I'm sure other people here would think differently. It's just really small clips. Like the one about Goku lifting a car is just Goku trying to get his bike out from under the car but the car says it's going to call the cops so he back away. :?
This movie may be more enjoyable in Portuguese. I'm getting a huge DBZ funi singles vibe from that menu screen.
It's funny but. the music that plays during the menu's sounds very Bruce Falconer (or how ever you spell his name). I'm not saying it is, it just sounds like it.
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:20 pm

Well rumor has it that in the Spanish dub they brought back Goku & Piccolo's voices from the Mexican dub of the Anime, and in the Brazilian Portuguese dub they brought back just about everyone who dubbed the Anime over there, so I guess we'll wait and see if that is true.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:27 pm

This looks cool! I can't wait to nab a copy myself.

gallagtor
Beyond Newbie

Post by gallagtor » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:42 pm

Looks like it has plenty of bonus materials. I can't stand those horrible flimsy recycled DVD cases, though. :P
Last edited by gallagtor on Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Look at these guns baybah! Peow, peow!" -Broli

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:42 pm

This makes me realize how much my enthusiasm changed for this movie. I went from going to see the X-Files movie just to see the trailer that was supposed to be there and planning on calling my local theatre and calling dibs on any DBE posters and promising myself to going to see the movie on opening day... to having not even seen it by the time it came out on DVD. :?

Great dissection, Tanooki!

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:43 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:Well rumor has it that in the Spanish dub they brought back Goku & Piccolo's voices from the Mexican dub of the Anime, and in the Brazilian Portuguese dub they brought back just about everyone who dubbed the Anime over there, so I guess we'll wait and see if that is true.
It's true for the Spanish version, don't know about the Portuguese.

Pretty much a comon DVD, nothing special. But damn that early Oozaru looks really bad.

I'm curious about the deleted scenes
It's amazing how the Dragon Balls change size in every pic :lol:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:46 pm

When does the Japanese release of Evolution come out? I heard it's supposed to have English subtitles.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:54 pm

Oh wow, it's out already? I've been thinking about picking up the blu ray.

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:55 pm

That's disappointing about the deleted scenes. I was hoping they would be the extra 30-45 minutes needed to make proper sense of story and give the film some breathing space.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:58 pm

Oh wow, it's out already? I've been thinking about picking up the blu ray.
Well no, I should clear that up. There is a store by my house that if you ask for a DVD before the release date and they have it, they'll sell it to you even though it's not out. Yes I know they aren't suppost to do that but hey, it's NY. :? It comes out next week.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:06 pm

I'm employed again, so I can pick this up and Wii sports resort next week after comic con. :)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:24 pm

No Japanese? :(

The only remaining curiosity I have about this movie is what Haruhi!Bulma and Ussop!Chatku sound like.

Ah well. Thanks for the screenshots.
Their earlier take on Oozaru looks much too creepy for a children's film. Glad they ditched it.

Speaking of creepy DBE dvd extras, live-action Garfield always seemed unsettling to look at.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:59 pm

So I decided to make this clip showing one of the deleted scenes. Its funny though, no scene was actually cut, just that some parts in the scene were edited. Here is an example of that with Goku and Bulma first meeting.

The original unedited clip is first then the second clip is how it was shown in the actual movie. Sorry for the crappy ass quality, yes it's being recorded by a digital camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk3XFXUITvI

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:04 pm

Take note of the green strand of her hair flipping sides too. :lol:

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:08 pm

Special feature: Gardfield's Pet Force Trailer
OH. MY. GOD! AWESOME.

That's the first time I've seen one of those recycle-cases. Kinda odd. :?