Am I the only one?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:21 pm

My love for anime isn't dropping, it's just that it's changing focus from fighting based shonen to a more seinen/sci-fi stuff. I have Kunzait to thank for that 8) .
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:24 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:Now I don't want to confuse everyone, I still LOVE cartoons. I used to be big on anime, but my love for American cartoons has not faded. Though I will say this, CN really needs to step up their game.
Well, what I said still applies. Just instead of cartoons, it's specifically anime. If your goal is to enjoy more anime, then try my suggestion. :)

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:40 pm

Dragon Ball along with all of the older stories that aren't really new anymore (YuYu, Kenshin, Berserk, Death Note, FMA, etc) is really the only anime/manga related thing I'm interested in. Adult Swim pretty much snipped anime out of it's line up and Toonami is dead. I don't know if I'm truly losing interest in anime/manga or I just don't have a place to suggest new stuff for me to get into so I just watch Dragon Ball and keep up with the older-newish kinda stuff like One Piece and Bleach...
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:47 pm

I'm not that big of an anime fan in general. My favorite will always be Dragon Ball but I also like Iria Zeiram: The Animation, Street Fighter: The Animated Movie, and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
Trans rights, now!

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:03 pm

Dragonball, Yu Yu Hakusho and Gundam Wing. All from Cartoon Network. And thats more or less it, apart from Hokuto no Ken, which I only got into in the last few months thanks to Kunzait_83.

Dragonball is the one I have the most merchandise for, and the only one I go on a forum for. (even though Yu Yu Hakusho may be my no.1)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:23 pm

I know I've slowed down in terms of manga and anime in general. I just can't do long-running-series-without-endings anymore. If I'm going to read it, I'll just read parts that interest me. If its longer than 15 volumes, (or 25 episodes) I will NOT read the whole thing.

I casually follow One Piece and enjoy it, but I haven't read all of it because I'm not hardcore into it. I read the the first arc of Bleach and enjoyed it, but kinda brushed it aside after that because I could tell it was going to pull a Molly and Melvin on all the human side-characters that didn't have any special powers (like Ichigo's family, the other students at his school, etc. ). Aside from that one Mark-inspired guy. I bet he stayed on. There are certain characters in Naruto that irritate the living hell out of me, and I just don't want to say any more than that or I'll start ranting. Simply put: I don't follow Naruto anymore.

Right now, aside from One Piece, I'm currently casually reading Viz's publications of Detective Conan (sometimes I'll pick up a random volume at the bookstore if I find the summary interesting.), I'm reading the Kenshin VizBigs as they come out, I'm following Bakuman, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles (which has just gone off the handle into the completely inane lately. I'm just reading it to get to the end now.), XXXHolic, Kobato....

They haven't put out a print volume in ages, but in that respect I do follow Yotsuba& and Saiyuki Reload. I also read the occasional Haruhi Suzumiya chapter.

Actually, aside from Kai, the only anime I've really been watching has been the 2nd season of Haruhi Suzumiya (Oh Endless Eight...you're so.....endless. I think its dragged a bit even from an artistic point of view.) and the occasional Ouran dub rerun on Funi's TV channel.

So, while there's still a decent amount of manga I'm following in some capacity; I just don't have the urge to spend time sitting there watching anime. Reading's something I can do quickly, but with TV shows you have to sit there at the same pace unless you feel like fast-forwarding and missing a bunch of dialogue. ^^;

I've found I no longer have any interest of becoming active in any other fandoms though. I'm at this point where if I ever permanently leave Dragon Ball, it'll be for my own fictional stories and characters, not for somebody else's.
Last edited by Chuquita on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Scarz
I Live Here

Re: Am I the only one?

Post by Scarz » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:28 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:I'm getting close to my 19th birthday and I'm starting to notice I'm not quite the anime fanboy I was back in the day. Now a days, I find myself getting less and less interested in anime as a whole.

However, I feel my love for Dragonball is just getting stronger. Its gotten to the point were I will walk into stores that offer anime based items(clothes, toys etc.) and then just walk out because they dont offer anything Dragonball related.

Its not that I hate anime, its just that I'm becoming a lot more close minded. My love for Dragonball has only changed for the better while I lose interest in everything else. Are there more people out there like me?
This seriously creepy. Do me and you somehow share minds? Like some lost telepathic twins? But on a serious note I basically feel the same way except for the "hate" anime part. I can't hate anime although I do dislike most of it. I just don't have the time or energy to watch them any more.

But my love and passion for Dragonball just keeps growing. Maybe it's because our childhood passions eventually creeps up on us later in life like childhood traumas.

Dragonball wasn't my first anime like for most fans. My first anime was Akira, then Kite unrated, then after that was a hell of a lot of ultra violent anime flicks and series. Dragonball came much later after that but it's the only one I clung on to after all these years.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:36 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:19 pm

I wouldn't say my interest in anime has weened, but more there's so many titles out there I want to watch, don't know where to start, end up getting lazy, and stick to the ones I had already given substantial investment into. Yeah, a lot of them are the generic shounen kind, a la Dragon Ball. My appareciation for DB waded throughout the years, but I'd say now it's pretty much here to stay.

Really, I just need to get off my ass... and sit back down and try to get out of my shell.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:53 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Also BTW, Sparky's above description of the modern anime artstyle is dead the fuck on. They really do look a lot like they could be gummy candy come to life... and that shit's not only hideously gaudy, tacky, and visually unappealing as hell, it gets beyond tiresome after the 130,000th generic moe/girly series.
Yea, even Gundam suffers from this terrible style now... :cry:
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:56 pm

Big Boss wrote:
RoarkVegeta wrote:
Presc503 wrote: Banned you? I know there is a lot of "violence" and occasional nudity in Dragon Ball, but it's not like it contains mature themes seen in South Park, Family Guy, or the stuff on late at night on Cartoon Network.

I bet they caught you blowing up the family truckster with a ki blast, huh? Damn Dragon Ball and its new-fangled violence!

On the subject, Dragon Ball was my gateway anime. I really enjoy quite a few other animes, but nothing comes close to the enjoyment I get from watching Dragon Ball/Z.
They thought I was too old for DBZ and Pokemon.
How could they compare uncut Dragon Ball to Pokemon? :lol:
:? I honestly have no idea...

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:59 pm

RoarkVegeta wrote:
Big Boss wrote:
RoarkVegeta wrote: They thought I was too old for DBZ and Pokemon.
How could they compare uncut Dragon Ball to Pokemon? :lol:
:? I honestly have no idea...
Well, with the Pokemon manga you're a bit closer... :wink:
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:07 pm

I'm a big fan of all animation, though what I'm interested in at any particular moment varies. I guess I'm not as obsessed with anime as I once was, but this might be because a lot of the modern stuff doesn't interest me. My favorite stuff is from the 80s.

There are plenty of exceptions, of course. I'm still as big an animation/anime/comics/cartoons/manga/whatever fan as I always was, it's just the focus that shifts around now and then.

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:11 pm

Incidently, bis that Ruby and Sapphire from the Special manga in your avatar, Metalwarrior?

And my interest in anime and manga isn't as HUGE as it used to be, but I haven't forsaken my old loves. I have Tsubasa Chronicles and all of Slayers for me to finish, along with Sailor Moon. I'm also thinking of another watch through of Cardcaptor Sakura. But I'm just really mostly into tokusatsu (Super Sentai and Kamen Rider) nowadays.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:14 pm

B-kun wrote:Incidently, bis that Ruby and Sapphire from the Special manga in your avatar, Metalwarrior?
Yes, and my name is Metalwario(64.);)

Someone on the old Nintendo Nsider forums made that mistake once too though, so don't feel bad! 8)
(The Pokemon Special/Adventures manga EDIT: is awesome, especially the Ruby/Sapphire arc.)
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:24 pm

Was? You know it's still going, right? They're in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum now, and I imagine HeartGold/SoulSilver soon, since they did a FRLG arc.

And sorry about your name. ^^; I just glanced at it.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:32 pm

B-kun wrote:Was? You know it's still going, right? They're in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum now, and I imagine HeartGold/SoulSilver soon, since they did a FRLG arc.

And sorry about your name. ^^; I just glanced at it.
It is??:shock: I heard that it was ending at the Emerald arc a while back... Was that just the official translation, or is that still on-going as well? *checks internetz* Huh, well I'll be darned!

Guess that's what happens when I take a long hiatus from Pokemans...

Now, about those magic Dragon Balls!

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:45 pm

The English release of Pokemon Adventure is up to vol 30, which starts the Diamond & Pearl arc.
The back of vol 30 wrote: Diamond and Pearl are aspiring stand-up comedians, while Missy Berlitz is a girl of distinguished heritage who is heading for Mt. Coronet. While these two should have had nothing to do with each other, an unfortunate misunderstanding leads to them heading on a journey together – each assuming the other to be someone they are not – and it just gets worse along the way! Despite all that, the trio forms a bond of friendship and reliance, as they traverse the region of Sinnoh and explore never-before-seen places!

Anyhow, for the question at hand... I never considered myself an "anime fan", really, just a "comic book fan", and by extension "cartoon fan". Manga and anime are just comics and cartoons that happen to come from Japan.
But yeah, my interest in new anime is definitely rather low, much beacuse of what others have brought up - the absolute domination of shitty "moe" and whatever other crap they got out there I have no interest in. I'll gladly explore the classics I haven't seen, but the chances of me taking the plunge on some new series unless I've been told it's good by someone likeminded (and I don't really associate with "anime fans", so I don't get currently popular moe shit recommended, thank god) is low.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Re: Am I the only one?

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:52 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:I'm getting close to my 19th birthday and I'm starting to notice I'm not quite the anime fanboy I was back in the day. Now a days, I find myself getting less and less interested in anime as a whole.

However, I feel my love for Dragonball is just getting stronger. Its gotten to the point were I will walk into stores that offer anime based items(clothes, toys etc.) and then just walk out because they dont offer anything Dragonball related.

Its not that I hate anime, its just that I'm becoming a lot more close minded. My love for Dragonball has only changed for the better while I lose interest in everything else. Are there more people out there like me?
Yeah, I feel that way too. I don't care much about other anime, but I get giddy again seeing DBZ stuff. Maybe 7-8 years ago I was the opposite trying to distance myself from DBZ and getting into other anime.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:13 am

I like romance genre anime. I guess that's because I'm a guy :)
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.