This is pretty dark for Dragon Ball....

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mattymoron
Beyond Newbie

Post by mattymoron » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:07 pm

thefalseprophecy wrote:
mattymoron wrote:And you're acting like a HARDCORE DEE BEE ZEE ELITIST!!!!11!!!ONE! FUCK YEAH! JAPANESE VERSION ONLY!! FUNI IS SUPER GAYZERZ!
*sigh* Don't you dubbies even know what an elitist is? Oh that's right, you're mainly just 15-year old kids... :lol:

The only people who go around the internet typing like that are 15-year old children, you know, FUNimation fans.

I'm made aware of the fact that most of the forum members are dub fans by the repeated uses of "King Kai", "Guru", etc.
Really dude? Your attitude isn't going to help you look cool in front of other sub fans, you're just making yourself look like a douche.

What does my age have to do with anything? I AM 15, and I know plenty of people my age who are perfectly mature...

Not to mention that I have REPEATEDLY STATED that I prefer the JAPANESE version of the show. I'm not a dubbie by any means, but I also don't think it's right for you to act all high and mighty because you prefer a different audio track on a children's cartoon.

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:13 pm

I'm going to repost this in case anyone missed it. :)
Shiyonasan wrote:I know I'm just posting a bunch of videos, but here's another one. It's in raw Japanese. This is one of the most popular scenes in Dragon Ball. I am talking about....

Vegeta's Nightmare.
RoarkVegeta wrote:There's another scene from episode 110 of DB.

When Daimao hit's Gokuu, his heart is beating then just stops. And his lifeless body hits the ground in the cold rain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypvxqhZ45S4

Funimation dub again.

3:20-4:48, right? I wouldn't say that was dark, it was more of a hopeless moment really, at least in my opinion.

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:13 pm

I don't think this has been stated before, but one of the most quickest/saddest deaths was when Freeza levitates Krillin with his finger and then slowly makes him explode and the only last words he could manage to say were "help me!!", then he just com-busts, it was pretty shocking, especially when I saw it on Toonami.

Edit:

Here is the video if anyone wants to see it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1ChBhfO4xw

starts at 1:13 and mainly ends at 1:50
Last edited by Budogenkai on Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

isucamper

Post by isucamper » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:15 pm

I wish there was a thread where we could calmly and intellegently debate dub vs sub without it getting out of control. I would honestly be interested in knowing what people like about the dub. The translation is inaccurate, the voices are poorly acted, and the music is ameturish. It makes me embarassed to be as passionate as I am about Dragon Ball.

I'd like to chalk the love of the dub up to immaturity, but I was... maybe 17 the first time I saw Japanese clips after several years of only knowing the (Ocean) dub... and my jaw hit the floor. It was (and is) a masterpiece.

The question isn't why would you listen to the dub, it's why wouldn't want to listen to the original Japanese. It's one of the finest examples of voice acting of any TV animated production ever. Character for character, the preformances are impeccable.

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:16 pm

Budogenkai wrote:I don't think this has been stated before, but one of the most quickest/saddest deaths was when Freeza levitates Krillin with his finger and then slowly makes him explode and the only last words he could manage to say were "help me!!", then he just com-busts, it was pretty shocking, especially when I saw it on Toonami.
Oh yeah, that is pretty dark as well. Come to think of it, the Freeza Arc has a lot of dark moments....

mattymoron
Beyond Newbie

Post by mattymoron » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:16 pm

Budogenkai wrote:I don't think this has been stated before, but one of the most quickest/saddest deaths was when Freeza levitates Krillin with his finger and then slowly makes him explode and the only last words he could manage to say were "help me!!", then he just com-busts, it was pretty shocking, especially when I saw it on Toonami.
That one always got me, too. I remember when I was a kid watching it on Toonami, and I was almost brought to tears.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:17 pm

That one scene shows Freeza's badassery so well. He could have done that at any moment but he decided to dick around and pretend like they were a match for him. As soon as shit serious'd the fuck up he killed Piccolo (nearly anyway) and Kuririn in a matter of seconds.

God I love Freeza
Last edited by NeptuneKai on Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

thefalseprophecy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by thefalseprophecy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:17 pm

mattymoron wrote: Really dude? Your attitude isn't going to help you look cool in front of other sub fans, you're just making yourself look like a douche.
I'm not trying to "look cool" in front of anyone. Sub fans? Oh, you must mean fans of the original version.

I know I'm a douchebag, this isn't news to me. :lol:
mattymoron wrote: What does my age have to do with anything? I AM 15, and I know plenty of people my age who are perfectly mature...
Age has a lot to with it, and I know there is no such thing as a mature 15-year old. I would know, I was 15 once.
mattymoron wrote: Not to mention that I have REPEATEDLY STATED that I prefer the JAPANESE version of the show. I'm not a dubbie by any means, but I also don't think it's right for you to act all high and mighty because you prefer a different audio track on a children's cartoon.

Well if FUNimation did a faithful adaptation to the original version, there wouldn't be much of a problem...

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:19 pm

isucamper wrote:I wish there was a thread where we could calmly and intellegently debate dub vs sub without it getting out of control. I would honestly be interested in knowing what people like about the dub. The translation is inaccurate, the voices are poorly acted, and the music is ameturish. It makes me embarassed to be as passionate as I am about Dragon Ball.

I'd like to chalk the love of the dub up to immaturity, but I was... maybe 17 the first time I saw Japanese clips after several years of only knowing the (Ocean) dub... and my jaw hit the floor. It was (and is) a masterpiece.

The question isn't why would you listen to the dub, it's why wouldn't want to listen to the original Japanese. It's one of the finest examples of voice acting of any TV animated production ever. Character for character, the preformances are impeccable.
I wondered the same thing and got some pretty good answers!

http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=10991

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:19 pm

isucamper wrote:I wish there was a thread where we could calmly and intellegently debate dub vs sub without it getting out of control.
This thread isn't meant for a dub vs. sub debate, regardless of whether it's turned into one.

As for a thread where people discuss such things maturely . . . well, your chances are the absolute best they can be here at DaizEX, but I'll wish you good luck regardless; you're gonna need it.

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

mattymoron
Beyond Newbie

Post by mattymoron » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:22 pm

thefalseprophecy wrote:
mattymoron wrote: Really dude? Your attitude isn't going to help you look cool in front of other sub fans, you're just making yourself look like a douche.
I'm not trying to "look cool" in front of anyone. Sub fans? Oh, you must mean fans of the original version.

I know I'm a douchebag, this isn't news to me. :lol:
mattymoron wrote: What does my age have to do with anything? I AM 15, and I know plenty of people my age who are perfectly mature...
Age has a lot to with it, and I know there is no such thing as a mature 15-year old. I would know, I was 15 once.
mattymoron wrote: Not to mention that I have REPEATEDLY STATED that I prefer the JAPANESE version of the show. I'm not a dubbie by any means, but I also don't think it's right for you to act all high and mighty because you prefer a different audio track on a children's cartoon.

Well if FUNimation did a faithful adaptation to the original version, there wouldn't be much of a problem...
Yeah, the original version. You know, the one with subtitles in every U.S. release?

I didn't say you were a douchebag, but you're really acting like one right now.

Look, we all know that the FUNi dub is chock full of mistakes, but it just so happens that some people (shock and awe!) prefer to watch cartoons in their native language! Just because some people happen to be fans of a particular dub doesn't make them immature, or any less of a DB fan than you...

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:22 pm

I think I'm gonna shut the fuck up from now on because I've been causing a lot of off-topic debates lately. :(
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:22 pm

thefalseprophecy wrote:Age has a lot to with it, and I know there is no such thing as a mature 15-year old. I would know, I was 15 once.
Speak for yourself.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

mattymoron
Beyond Newbie

Post by mattymoron » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:25 pm

I should probably do that to, I've went off topic like five times now...

Anyway, another moment that really stuck with me was Vegeta's casual disreguard of Nappa's life. I mean, it wasn't graphic by any means, but think about it:

Nappa was not only one of only three remaining saiyajin, but he had been Vegeta's companion since childhood. The fact that he could so easily kill him really spoke volumes about Vegeta's ruthlessness.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:28 pm

mattymoron wrote:I should probably do that to, I've went off topic like five times now...

Anyway, another moment that really stuck with me was Vegeta's casual disreguard of Nappa's life. I mean, it wasn't graphic by any means, but think about it:

Nappa was not only one of only three remaining saiyajin, but he had been Vegeta's companion since childhood. The fact that he could so easily kill him really spoke volumes about Vegeta's ruthlessness.
Budokai 1's what if mode brought up an interesting piece of dialogue though. Vegeta claimed he gave Nappa a "noble warriors death". I wonder if it is customary to kill off your comrade if he is unable to battle any longer to let him die with dignity.

Then again that line isn't canon by any means so...

thefalseprophecy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by thefalseprophecy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:30 pm

mattymoron wrote: Yeah, the original version. You know, the one with subtitles in every U.S. release?
Not all of us buy the US release. :wink:
mattymoron wrote: I didn't say you were a douchebag, but you're really acting like one right now.
I am a douchebag, so no need to clarify.
mattymoron wrote: Look, we all know that the FUNi dub is chock full of mistakes, but it just so happens that some people (shock and awe!) prefer to watch cartoons in their native language! Just because some people happen to be fans of a particular dub doesn't make them immature, or any less of a DB fan than you...

Yes because God forbid should people read subtitles! It's really not that hard...

thefalseprophecy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by thefalseprophecy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:33 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Speak for yourself.
Ouch. Is that the apex of your wit? :lol:

mattymoron
Beyond Newbie

Post by mattymoron » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:33 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
mattymoron wrote:I should probably do that to, I've went off topic like five times now...

Budokai 1's what if mode brought up an interesting piece of dialogue though. Vegeta claimed he gave Nappa a "noble warriors death". I wonder if it is customary to kill off your comrade if he is unable to battle any longer to let him die with dignity.

Then again that line isn't canon by any means so...
:shock:

I remember that!!! What he said to Yajirobe, right?

Now that I think about it, that would make sense, but it's still kind of heartless. I mean, d'you really think that with all the advanced technology Freeza had access to, he couldn't heal a broken back.

But like you said, mayhaps it wasn't uncommon for saiyajin to kill of heavily injured comrades.

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:37 pm

Since we're talking about dark moments, one moment that really caught my attention was this episode of GT were this blue dragon was begging a Super Saying 4 Goku not to kill him. Goku had his had in his face like he was gonna blow his head off with a Ki blast and the dragon was pleading with Goku to spare him but Goku was seriously about to kill him. I only saw it once and haven't been able to find a clip of it since but it was pretty weird seeing Goku about to kill someone who was begging for their life like that...
Last edited by Chrono Trigger on Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:38 pm

mattymoron wrote:
:shock:

I remember that!!! What he said to Yajirobe, right?

Now that I think about it, that would make sense, but it's still kind of heartless. I mean, d'you really think that with all the advanced technology Freeza had access to, he couldn't heal a broken back.
Yeah, that line came up in response to Yajirobe claiming Vegeta would kill him just like he did Nappa if they partnered up.

It is heartless but the Saiyajins were an incredibly ruthless race of people. I'd think Vegeta assumed it was better to die then to be disgraced to the point of not being able to escape and being at the mercy of your opponent. (Of course he would change his tune when he himself was in that very spot.)

Then again another what-if in Budokai was Freeza being able to speak Namekian to get his wish without any explanation as to how so it's not like those scenes are incredibly trust worthy. :lol: