Is there any reason to purchase the the DB Season Sets...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

piccolo-san785
Beyond Newbie

Is there any reason to purchase the the DB Season Sets...

Post by piccolo-san785 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:05 am

Like I was saying is there any reason to purchase the the DB Season Sets. I mean they are coming out with the DBZ Dragonbox. So is there any reason why Funimation wouldn't release a GT dragonbox and a DB dragonbox set. As for me I was going to some how save up for the DB season sets to get them but after all the recent news I will not be getting them.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:09 am

Yes. Because we don't know if Dragonball will have a Dragonbox release.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:14 am

It is reasonable to make the assumption that the future of the DB/DBGT Dragon Boxes rests on the success, or failure, of the Dragon Box Z.

In other words, if the Z Boxes do not perform to whatever expectations they may have for it, you can expect that there will be no DB/DBGT box.

Oh, and before anyone steps forth and says something completely asinine, like "FUNimation doesn't have any expectations for this! It's a 'thank-you' note and apology to the hardcore fans!" ..... Please pull your heads out of your asses.

If FUNi was just expecting this to sell amongst the most hardcore of the hardcore, it would have been much more cost-effective to do this as an online-order only release (Nintendo has done this before with games such as Electroplankton). However, these Z Boxes are going out to all major retailers nation-wide. In other words, they have higher hopes for these boxes other than to sell it to folks like the DaizEX and Kanzentai forum-goers.

Wake up and get real. The expectations are there. If the Z Boxes fail horribly, like I predict they will, you can kiss your chances of getting the DB/DBGT boxes goodbye.

piccolo-san785
Beyond Newbie

Post by piccolo-san785 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:15 am

Raki wrote:Yes. Because we don't know if Dragonball will have a Dragonbox release.

True but why would they release only the DBZ set and not DB or GT set I wouldn't be surprised if a year from now they announced the DB or GT set to be released I'm willing to wait

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:17 am

piccolo-san785 wrote:
Raki wrote:Yes. Because we don't know if Dragonball will have a Dragonbox release.

True but why would they release only the DBZ set and not DB or GT set I wouldn't be surprised if a year from now they announced the DB or GT set to be released I'm willing to wait
See the post of Smooth Criminal.
Smooth Criminal wrote:
Wake up and get real. The expectations are there. If the Z Boxes fail horribly, like I predict they will, you can kiss your chances of getting the DB/DBGT boxes goodbye.
I expect these to do well.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:23 am

The episode/price ratio should be a little lower than the Dragon Box release, so if price is an issue, and slight quality difference is not, go with the season sets.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:58 am

If you're impatient go with these. That or if your Z and GT season sets are feeling lonely.

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:35 am

I'll be playing the part of Funimation's bitch when these come out. I'll buy them and then sell them if there is a Dragon Box release.
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."

Tweaker
Regular

Post by Tweaker » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:35 am

If the Dragon Boxes end up only having two audio tracks--the dub with Japanese music and the original Japanese audio track, respectively--then I'd say a pretty fair advantage to the season sets is that they include all three--dub, dub with Japanese music, and original Japanese audio track. You may not get the best quality on the Japanese track, and the video quality on the earliest Dragon Ball Z seasons might suck, but I suppose it's worth it if you want all 3 audio tracks for the sake of completeness.

Honestly, I think it's important that we wait to get a full feature list for these upcoming Dragon Boxes before we deem all of the old releases immediately redundant. Making assumptions too early could lead to some potentially uninformed decisions; this topic is a good reminder that it's important to get the facts first.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:41 am

I would hold out a year or two(or three). If there's no DBOX for the other two series, then go ahead and get the season sets, there really isn't anything wrong with them anyway. If we do get DBOXes, congrats, your patience has won you DB and DBGT in their best quality.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:01 pm

I'll get them because they'll be better quality than what I own, the Madman boxsets are terrible, this would definitely be a one up, and it'll be years before we get the Dragon Boxes for Dragon Ball, and I'd rather buy an NTSC cheap release (because PAL DB looks like shit) than wait a long ass time for the Dragon Box, which I'll still buy once it's out.

And I've NEVER seen DB Movie 1, not even the edited version, and we should be getting that with one of the seasons, hopefully the first.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:03 pm

I'm just gonna hold out on these until the inevitable Dragon Box announcement.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:43 pm

I plan to buy the first Season to show my general support for FUNimation. Plus, it's finally the first time we in the US have been able to domestically own those first13 episodes. That alone makes at least Season One worth buying for me.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:45 pm

YES buy them...UNLESS you dont have the 11 previous bricks already.

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:17 pm

I'll be getting them. I already have all of the Z & GT sets, I might as well just complete the collection and get the DB sets.

As for the Dragon Box Z sets... I dunno. I just spent over two hundred and some odd dollars getting all of the Z sets. As hardcore of a Dragon Ball fan as I am, I'm having a hard time trying to convince myself to buy something I already have in a prettier box with a guide book. The video quality, from what I've seen repeated time and time again on here, is minute at best and really boils down to preference over anything.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:24 pm

B wrote:I would hold out a year or two(or three). If there's no DBOX for the other two series, then go ahead and get the season sets, there really isn't anything wrong with them anyway. If we do get DBOXes, congrats, your patience has won you DB and DBGT in their best quality.
I would just like to add to this that the already affordable price would only go down if you wait and we don't get a DBOX for either of them. :P
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:41 pm

Tweaker wrote:If the Dragon Boxes end up only having two audio tracks--the dub with Japanese music and the original Japanese audio track, respectively--then I'd say a pretty fair advantage to the season sets is that they include all three--dub, dub with Japanese music, and original Japanese audio track. You may not get the best quality on the Japanese track, and the video quality on the earliest Dragon Ball Z seasons might suck, but I suppose it's worth it if you want all 3 audio tracks for the sake of completeness.
Yes. We all know how much better the dub music track for the original Dragon Ball is.

Wait, haven't they ALWAYS used the Japanese music in the original Dragon Ball dub? Where is this third audio track coming from? The only thing I could think of that they could do is re-insert some insert songs.
Honestly, I think it's important that we wait to get a full feature list for these upcoming Dragon Boxes before we deem all of the old releases immediately redundant. Making assumptions too early could lead to some potentially uninformed decisions; this topic is a good reminder that it's important to get the facts first.
On that same token, I'm not really willing to buy the Season Sets until the now fairly likely Dragon Box announcement comes out and we get a feature list for THAT which I can compare to the Season Set releases.

I already own a lot of the original Dragon Ball in the singles, I can wait awhile to finish it up in Dragon Box form.

Budokai23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Budokai23 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:44 pm

I'm still deciding whether or not to buy the DB sets. I probably will though cuz they'll be close to perfect.
Aka gtadbzman.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:57 pm

Budokai23 wrote:I'm still deciding whether or not to buy the DB sets. I probably will though cuz they'll be close to perfect.
Things the near-perfect DB Season Sets are likely to miss in comparison to what the DB Dragon Box Sets are likely to have:

-Default Japanese audio with english
-All opening and ending animations
-Japanese title cards
-Next episode previews
-Dragon Book
-Pony Canyon remastering

Personally, what has me anticipating a Dragon Box more than the season sets are default Japanese audio, the next episode previews, and Japanese title cards. The Opening and Ending animations are great too, considering that my favorites are not the ones that Funimation has used by default on all episodes.

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:48 pm

I'd love to get Dragon Ball Season 1, but with it being quite close to the Dragon Box release I don’t think I’ll be getting it.

Oh and first post!