FUNimation fans and the Dragon Boxes

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

vershiris
Not-So-Newbie

FUNimation fans and the Dragon Boxes

Post by vershiris » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:48 am

Yesterday i made and uploaded a video containing 3 comparisons between the Dragon Boxes and FUNimation "remastered" box sets http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFpqKcOoRzw . After i uploaded it, the majority of comments were saying that they liked the remastered box set quality better. Now i know that every body is entitled to their own opinions but like 95% are saying they prefer the FUNimation sets. Why? :lol:

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:54 am

I would imagine that most of them own the season sets, and that this would be a factor.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:01 am

I wouldn't say 95%, there's a good amount of pro-Dragon Box comments (and those just so happen to be mostly from the people that seem to have their head on straight).

I think the reasons behind these comments are A) People don't want to think they wasted all of their money on an inferior product in the season sets B) the idea that because something is from Japan, it is inferior to an American product C) They don't realize that the FUNi footage looks bigger because it is cropped D) The vibrant colors of the season set video draws most of their attention E) because of how small the videos are, you can't really see most of the season set's faws (it really doesn't look that bad in this video).

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:24 am

You should also take the fact that they're youtube comments into consideration. Those aren't the best source for a true educated opinion, unfortunately.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:30 am

SSj_Rambo wrote:I wouldn't say 95%, there's a good amount of pro-Dragon Box comments (and those just so happen to be mostly from the people that seem to have their head on straight).

I think the reasons behind these comments are
A) People don't want to think they wasted all of their money on an inferior product in the season sets Agreed, they're on denial

B) the idea that because something is from Japan, it is inferior to an American product Again true, but so ironic the series itself is Japanese and yet they like it

C) They don't realize that the FUNi footage looks bigger because it is cropped I hate how hard it is to convince people that video should be seen they way it was intended it.

D) The vibrant colors of the season set video draws most of their attention I guess so, if the image was bigger and they could see how bad it actually looked they might change their minds

E) because of how small the videos are, you can't really see most of the season set's faws (it really doesn't look that bad in this video)Yeah it doesn't look that bad

And the most important part, it's YouTube comments, those are like a junir version of 4chan

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:20 am

You can't really see due to the youtube quality. The most I could make out was the increased blue, contrast, and the fact that the frames faded into one another.

Also, Seru? Really? I can sort of see the other two a little bit, but Seru? That's like using Torunksu instead of Trunks.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:59 am

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece wrote:Also, Seru? Really? I can sort of see the other two a little bit, but Seru? That's like using Torunksu instead of Trunks.
I actually see "Seru" quite often on other forums. It's certainly annoying, though somehow not quite as bad as the sudden ubiquity of side comments written in illegibly small fonts.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Tweaker
Regular

Post by Tweaker » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:29 am

I also prefer the more vibrant colors in the season sets, to be perfectly honest... it's just a shame that the video footage is otherwise extremely shoddy and that vital color information is lost in the process.

I imagine any color preferences could be easily taken care of by modding the color setting on your TV, though I'd prefer not to if possible.

russ869
Beyond Newbie

Post by russ869 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:36 am

Basically, I think it might be this. This is actually the main thing I DON'T like about the "remastered" sets.

With the widescreening and the DVNRing, it's like what they tried to do was make DBZ look like a more modern anime. When it's not. The DVNR serves to remove grain which makes the cells look flat and single toned like a new anime that was digitally colored would. But basically it doesn't work. Dragonball looks good in the context that is is an old hand-drawn cell animation from a few decades ago. Trying to make it bright and shiny like modern anime makes it glaringly obvious that DBZ isn't doesn't measure up to other animation. Then of course is the fact that the kind of DVNR they used is maybe good for most anime that have more normal movements or a lot of slow pans; but Dragonball has a lot of really fast motion, a lot of super fast super bright flashes and it all gets horribly smeared or broken up.

Raki
I Live Here

Re: FUNimation fans and the Dragon Boxes

Post by Raki » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:05 pm

vershiris wrote:Yesterday i made and uploaded a video containing 3 comparisons between the Dragon Boxes and FUNimation "remastered" box sets http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFpqKcOoRzw . After i uploaded it, the majority of comments were saying that they liked the remastered box set quality better. Now i know that every body is entitled to their own opinions but like 95% are saying they prefer the FUNimation sets. Why? :lol:
It could be many reasons. First of all, they like Funimation's version of the show because it's what they know. Second, they like the boxsets because they own them. Another thing is that they don't care for the Dragonboxes because it's foreign.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:05 pm

I don't like the first 8 remastered sets, but in my opinion, had the other sets looked like season 9 and been 4:3, they would have been far superior to the Dragon Box. I liked the colors; a few inaccurate blues and greens here and there don't bother me.
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."

SSJToreto
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJToreto » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:19 pm

You have to see the Dragon Box in full screen on a TV IMO to really see what the fuss is about, you can't really tell the quality on those little screens... Exept the color difference which is obvious.

Remastered set's flat out look like crap on full screen.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:23 pm

Freeza Heika wrote:I don't like the first 8 remastered sets, but in my opinion, had the other sets looked like season 9 and been 4:3, they would have been far superior to the Dragon Box. I liked the colors; a few inaccurate blues and greens here and there don't bother me.
I actually think that Season 8 has superior quality to Season 9.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:28 pm

"Bejita"? "Furiza"? "Seru"? Really? I was almost compelled to stop watching; I was half-expecting to see "Ranchi" next.

Anyway, uh... Dragon Box! Yaaaaay! :D
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Sanjiscool
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sanjiscool » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:42 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:"Bejita"? "Furiza"? "Seru"? Really? I was almost compelled to stop watching;
Ditto lol.

I feel bad for thinking that the color looks a bit nicer in the Season sets, but I feel that both videos are too small, making the Season sets look not as bad as they are.

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:18 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:"Bejita"? "Furiza"? "Seru"? Really? I was almost compelled to stop watching; I was half-expecting to see "Ranchi" next.

Anyway, uh... Dragon Box! Yaaaaay! :D
He's my partner on WCSй I think the reason he used those names was because we were using the japanese version, I think cuz on all other videos he uses cell frieza vegeta etc.юя

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:23 pm

I puked in my mouth when I saw "Bejita" show up on the screen.

Man, those comments are godawful. It makes me worry if this release will be a success or not.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:28 pm

Undercooked Sausage wrote:I puked in my mouth when I saw "Bejita" show up on the screen.

Man, those comments are godawful. It makes me worry if this release will be a success or not.
Youtube comments never can tell how a release will do. These people are talking nonsense and probably will STILL buy these sets.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:29 pm

With how small they are in the video, it' hard to compare the two. If you were using the full screen, in HD, then we might be able to compare something other than the colors. You can't tell how blurred the Season One footage is like this.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Presc503
Beyond Newbie

Post by Presc503 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:34 pm

I don't ever use the Bejita or Furiza spelling, but some of the responses from posters making fun of him using it are a bit ironic. I'm guessing some of you don't like it because it comes of as uber-snobbish/elitist for him to use the Romanization of the Japanese spelling, but then some said they stopped paying attention or were sickened by his usage. Isn't that slightly snobbish, too?

Maybe I'm way off base here, which is usually the case.