The Many English Dubs

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:21 pm

There are tonnes of different recording studios in Vancouver. It's one of the hubs of the television, and movie industries.

As well, voice actors aren't exactly tied down to one studio. I've heard many voice actors from Ocean dubs who've also worked on Canadian productions like Beast Wars, Storm Hawks, Being Ian, etc. where the audio work was done in another studio that wasn't owned by Ocean.

You guys can easily settle this by just busting out The Saga of Goku and checking which company is credited for ADR work, voice recordings, etc. Often times Ocean dubs will say "Recorded by Ocean Studios in Vancouver, Canada".

Blue Water is Ocean's poor boy Calgary offshoot. Its for generally lower budget productions.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:50 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:You guys can easily settle this by just busting out The Saga of Goku and checking which company is credited for ADR work, voice recordings, etc. Often times Ocean dubs will say "Recorded by Ocean Studios in Vancouver, Canada".
Image Image
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:54 pm

Thanks. I didn't know that. Apparently The Ocean Group's dub of DBZ might've been done in Airwaves Studios. According to the post by Mystery Person X.
I don't have the Saga of Goku DVD, but the credits don't mention The Ocean Group or any of its studios.
Does anyone know what "looping ADR" is? That's what Dick & Rogers Sound Studio did for Funimation.

This is all the info we can get on the "Ocean dubs" from the ending credits.

Dragon Ball (1995)
Audio: Dick and Rogers Sound Studio (Vancouver, B.C.) [Did Looping ADR]

Dragon Ball (2003)
Produced in Association With: The Ocean Group, Canada
Recorded at Blue Water Studios

Dragon Ball Z (1996)
Produced in Association With: The Ocean Group, Vancouver
Recording Studio: Ocean Studios (Vancouver, Canada) [only mentioned on the movies]

Dragon Ball Z (2000)

Dragon Ball GT
Produced in Association with: The Ocean Group, Canada
Recorded at: Blue Water Studios

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:50 am

Can anyone please explain to me what "looping ADR" is and how it's different from "ADR"? Does that mean they edited the already recorded voices, or that it was recorded there?

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:11 am

Oh.

My.

God.

Whats the second song in first video? :D

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:14 am

RoarkVegeta wrote:Oh.

My.

God.

Whats the second song in first video? :D
From the Philippines dub, though that's the full length version fucked up by someone...

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:23 am

Thanks. I like it =P.

AndoKomando

Post by AndoKomando » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:21 pm

My favorite dub other than the original Japanese is the Ocean dub. Man, that was great. Also, anyone know where I can find the movies dubbed not by FUNi or Toei? I have not seen those. I have only heard rumors and have never seen anything for them, and I have been a fan forever. PM me if you know where to get them or something. I'm not asking for a download... a purchase.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:21 pm

Which Non-Funi English dub are you talking about? There's the Philippines English dub, the Malaysian English dub (which you can buy), and the European English dub (The Strongest Guy in the World, Super Battle in the World, and Super Saiya, Son Goku)

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:06 pm

B wrote:
linkdude20002001 wrote:Yeah. Like the English dub of the first three Digimon movies.
Thanks for reminding me my only accurate exposure to Digimon Movie 3 is a Wikipedia description. ;__;
You're not missing much. The soundtrack is all country music and the story's equally stupid, even without the involvement of a "virus".

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:48 pm

I thought this would be a fun video for this thread...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtSiqZBrNNc

one of my favorites on youtube. :D
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:49 pm

Way I heard was originally it was supposed to be just the first 2 movies together, but some bigwigs at Fox told the guys who worked on Digimon to put the third movie in to make it longer.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:21 pm

I found clips from the European English dub of the second and third Dragon Ball movies on YouTube. If only the lines they had to say weren't longer than what could be fit in the mouth movements... This could've been a good dub. :cry: Best English Kame-Sen'nin ever! :o

Dragon Ball: Sleeping Beauty in Devil Castle
Dragon Ball: Mystical Adventure

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:29 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:I found clips from the European English dub of the second and third Dragon Ball movies on YouTube. If only the lines they had to say weren't longer than what could be fit in the mouth movements... This could've been a good dub. :cry: Best English Kame-Sen'nin ever! :o

Holy crap those are epic! It reminds of badly dubbed Kung Fu movies. And Kung Pow. :lol: Only not dubbed badly on purpose...

That's also some pretty redundant editing. They leave in Roshi staring at girl's behinds, but edit out Shen Long and Upa's Dad coming back to life? Whaaatever. And LMAO! Karin is a girl!

I want these so bad. It sucks that they only released a few movies on DVD, but with their budget I guess it's better than nothing or crappy VCD's.
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:45 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:I found clips from the European English dub of the second and third Dragon Ball movies on YouTube. If only the lines they had to say weren't longer than what could be fit in the mouth movements... This could've been a good dub. :cry: Best English Kame-Sen'nin ever! :o

omg the way they talk reminds me of speed racer! lol
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Oolong215
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Oolong215 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:36 am

Best english dub: Ocean/Blue Water/Vancouver dub of Episodes 108-276 (2001-2003)

It's not perfect, and a few of the actors (Peter Kelamis, Terry Klassen, Matt Smith) suck ass, but most of the cast is amazing and the music I like even better than Shunsuke Kikuchi's (I am probably the only person of this forum who thinks that) .Brian Drummond as Vegeta and Scott McNeil as Piccolo are the best english VA's the characters have ever had, and there are a few voices that I prefer to the japanese version. Brad Swaile as Gohan and Brian Dobson as Boo send shivers down my spine every time I hear them (and they're FUNi actors were some of the worst IMO). Most people here are gonna say I'm insane, but I stand by my beliefs.
How can thou be out of breath when thou hast breat to say thou art out of breath?

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:14 am

I agree with you. The Ocean Group's dub of those episodes was actually pretty good. I don't like Brian Drummond's Vegeta, as awesome as it is. Chris Sabat's isn't good either, though. :( But I like a lot of the voices more than FUNimation's (No one can replace Scott McNeil's Piccolo). And the music's better! :D ...But not as good as Shunsuke Kikuchi's or Kenji Yamamoto's. :(

And by the way, it certainly wasn't Blue Water Studios that did the dub. Blue Water Studios isn't in Vancouver. They're the ones that did DB and DBGT, not DBZ.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:38 am

Oolong215 wrote:Best english dub: Ocean/Blue Water/Vancouver dub of Episodes 108-276 (2001-2003)

It's not perfect, and a few of the actors (Peter Kelamis, Terry Klassen, Matt Smith) suck ass, but most of the cast is amazing and the music I like even better than Shunsuke Kikuchi's (I am probably the only person of this forum who thinks that) .Brian Drummond as Vegeta and Scott McNeil as Piccolo are the best english VA's the characters have ever had, and there are a few voices that I prefer to the japanese version. Brad Swaile as Gohan and Brian Dobson as Boo send shivers down my spine every time I hear them (and they're FUNi actors were some of the worst IMO). Most people here are gonna say I'm insane, but I stand by my beliefs.
So you like the recycled Megaman music?
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:54 am

Mega Man and Monster Rancher. :lol: I've never seen either show and having the music in DBZ doesn't bother me so much. It gets less annoying than Fauconer's (which isn't bad ALL the time, but it does get irritating).

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:00 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:Mega Man and Monster Rancher. :lol: I've never seen either show and having the music in DBZ doesn't bother me so much. It gets less annoying than Fauconer's (which isn't bad ALL the time, but it does get irritating).
I used to love Monster Rancer, so damnit I noticed. Theme of the Phonix is the Genki Dama theme.. I was seriously mind fuck'd, I thought my mind was playing tricks on me.