DragonBall VizBig Manga Dissection/Review

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

rereboy
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10261
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:42 pm

DragonBall VizBig Manga Dissection/Review

Post by rereboy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:49 pm

I have now completed Viz`s Dragon Ball manga in the VizBig format (volumes 1 to 16 of the original japanese manga).

So, I`ve decided to write a review/dissection of this edition so that everybody knows exactly what its advantages and disadvantages are, regarding other editions.

For those of you who don`t know what the VizBigs are, they are re-releases of manga in a different format. They are published by Viz and are written in english. They have larger frames than regular volumes and each VizBig volume has 3 original volumes inside (the last DB one has 4 however).
For more information on this particular format you can view this link: http://www.viz.com/news/newsroom/index.php?id=64

This review is only about the Dragon Ball VizBigs. I left the Dragon Ball Z VizBigs out on purpose because they are not all published yet, unlike the Dragon Ball ones (for those of you who don`t know, despise the original japanese manga being called only Dragon Ball and having 42 volumes, Viz divided the manga in two portions, containing the first one the first 16 volumes and being called Dragon Ball while the other is called Dragon Ball Z and contains the remaining volumes).

So lets begin...

First of all, I will post the covers, back covers and spines of all the VizBigs:

Front Covers

ImageImageImageImageImage

Back covers

ImageImage
ImageImage
Image

Spines

Image

EDIT:

These are the full contents of each VizBig Volume in order (which I forgot to add previously)

DB Vizbig 1

- Cast of characters.............. 6
- Volume 1.............. 11
- Volume 2.............. 184
- Volume 3.............. 368
- Title page gallery.............. 538
- Akira Toriyama`s "ask me anything" corner.............. 573
- Author notes.............. 575

DB Vizbig 2

- Cast of characters.............. 6
- Volume 4.............. 10
- Volume 5.............. 188
- Volume 6.............. 360
- Title page gallery.............. 533
- Akira Toriyama`s "ask me anything" corner.............. 570
- Author notes.............. 575

DB Vizbig 3

- Cast of characters.............. 6
- Volume 7.............. 10
- Volume 8.............. 184
- Volume 9.............. 356
- Title page gallery.............. 527
- Akira Toriyama`s "ask me anything" corner.............. 564
- Author notes.............. 567

DB Vizbig 4

- Cast of characters.............. 6
- Volume 10.............. 10
- Volume 11.............. 189
- Volume 12.............. 364
- Title page gallery.............. 536
- Akira Toriyama`s "ask me anything" corner.............. 564
- Author notes.............. 567

DB Vizbig 5

- Cast of characters.............. 6
- Volume 13.............. 10
- Volume 14.............. 184
- Volume 15.............. 356
- Volume 16.............. 528
- Title page gallery.............. 726
- Author notes.............. 768

/EDIT



Now I will divide the review into two categories with itens which I will then elaborate.

ADVANTAGES

1 - Larger panels
2 - High quality paper
3 - Some pages in color
4 - Very cheap
5 - Less censored than some previous editions of Viz
6 - All the VizBigs side by side occupy less in thickness than the corresponding regular editions, despite having a larger frame
7- Akira Toriyama`s "ask me anything" corner included

DISADVANTAGES

8 - More censored than some previous editions of Viz
9- Uglier front cover art
10- Compared to the kazenkan, not all pages are in color, and the ones who aren`t, are printed without color, which results in them looking worse than the simple black and white manga

Now, I`m going to elaborate on each of these itens:



1 - Larger panels

This release has the peculiar characteristic of being larger than any other english Dragon Ball edition to date.
While the standard manga is 5 x 7-1/2, this edition is 5-3/4 x 8-5/8.

That allows the manga to have larger panels than the previous editions. The result is bigger art.

Personally I find that awesome. Its a different experience reading the manga in this size and overall I find it more pleasing.

There might be those who won`t like the size of this edition because they are more heavy then regular volumes and etc. I`ll admit that it also depends on personal preference. But I like it. :wink:



2 - High quality paper

This edition is printed in a very nice high quality paper. Its a paper that its not either thin or thick, but it looks and feels somewhat resistant.

Besides that, the paper is white, which allows it to beautifully contrast the black and white of the manga much more effectively than the grayish paper color.
I much prefer this kind of paper.



3 - Some pages in color

One of the appeals of this edition is the colors it possesses on some pages and chapters, which weren`t available on previous english editions. However, it does not have all the pages available in color (that the kazenban has, which is the perfect edition of the japanese manga).

This fact has enraged some fans who expected all the pages to be in the edition.
But we can not deny that some pages are better than none. And the ones which are there look very good.

But just how many color pages and chapters were left in color in the Vizbigs?

In the first 16 volumes of the Dragon Ball manga there were 29 chapters which had at least one page in color. The Vizbigs left 16 in color.
Lets analyze the matter further.

These are all the chapters in color that exist in these 16 volumes:

001 / 002 / 003 / 004 / 005) (019 / 025 / 033 / 040 / 044 / 045 / 048 / 055 / 057 / 062 / 070 / 075 / 081 / 086 / 093 / 106 / 110 / 121 / 130 / 149 / 155 / 163 / 178 / 187

These are the ones that the VizBig left with color:

Vizbig 1

001 / 002 / 019
(3 chapters out of 8 = 37,5% effectiveness)

Vizbig 2

044 (but 3 pages were left without color) / 045 / 057 (but 4 pages were left without color)/ 062
(most of 4 chapters out of 8 = around 50% effectiveness)

Vizbig 3

075 / 081 / 106
(3 chapters out of 5 = 60% effectiveness)

Vizbig 4

110 / 121 / 130
(3 chapters out of 3 = 100% effectiveness)

Vizbig 5

149 / 155 (but one page is left without color)/ 178
(most of 3 chapters out of 5 = around 60% effectiveness)

In total, around 55% of all the pages in color are left in color. So most of the color pages are there, which is a very good thing.

Here is an example of a Vizbig color page (full color)
Image



4 - Very cheap

This edition is a very cheap edition. The total retail price of the 5 volumes is $89,95.

The retail price of the Dragon Ball manga box set (which is a box with all the first 16 volumes of the regular editions) is $114.99. This box is already cheaper than all of those regular volumes sold separately, but all the Vizbig volumes manage to be $25,04 cheaper.



5 - Less censored than some previous editions of Viz

Viz is known to censor some bits of the Dragon ball manga. However, how much it censors has been inconstant throughout the editions.

Viz has never released the Dragon Ball manga 100% uncensored. There are tiny bits which were censored in all the editions. But there are at least 3 different editions with 3 different censorships.

I will give you an example:

Image

This is a scan of the most uncensored english edition there is.

And this is a scan of another edition:

Image

As you can see its much more censored. Even the nosebleed and what they are saying is altered.

And this is the scan of the Vizbig (sorry about the poor quality of the scan):

Image

As you can see, although it is censored, its censored to a much less extent than the previous one, and the censorship is not too intrusive.

This holds true to all the censorship that exist in the Vizbigs editions.

There is little censorship, the censorship that exist its not intrusive and unless you already know, you cant tell its censored, and except for one occasion, it never sacrifices the original meaning or intent.

That one occasion is the one time bulma shows pilaf the finger. Instead of her middle finger being distended its the index finger which is distended, which kills the original intent. Here it is:

Image

This the worst of the censoring in the VizBig and the one thing that kind of bothers me, because it kills the oriaginal meaning.

Besides that, they only censor full nudity (bulma`s and some maganize`s with bath bubbles and very well inserted bras) but they don`t censor bulma`s butt or Goku`s penis (because he`s too young and underdeveloped to be taken sexually).

In the text, they sometimes tone slightly down what is being said. Instead of a "feel" there is a "see" but it really is so minor that I can not call that censorship. Besides, they never sacrifice the original intent or meaning while doing that.

Conclusion: the censorship in the VizBigs stands in the middle. Its not as uncensored as some previous editions which showed nudity, but its less censored than some previous which were censored to exclude the nudity and etc.
Besides that, the edits are very well done and not intrusive at all, and the original intent (including all the sexual intent) is pretty much always preserved.
If you don`t care about seeing actual nudity and the "bulma`s finger thing" doesn`t really bother you, this is the release for you.


6 - All the VizBigs side by side occupy less in thickness than the corresponding regular editions, despite having a larger frame

More shelf room. `Nuff said.



7- Akira Toriyama`s "ask me anything" corner included

It wasn`t included in previous editions. Here`s a scan from Vizbig 1:

Image



8 - More censored than some previous editions of Viz

The existing censorship might not be that bad, but it is still censorship, and there are editions with less censorship.



9 - Uglier front cover art

I like the back cover art and the spines, but I admit, the front cover art ir rather dull. Uglier than the regular ones.



10- Compared to the kazenkan, not all pages are in color, and the ones who aren`t, are printed without color, which results in them looking worse than the simple black and white manga

This disadvantage only exists if we compare the Vizbigs to the kanzenban.

However it is a shame that not all the pages are in color, and the ones who aren`t, because they are printed without color, look worse than the rest of the manga. At least in my opinion.

So it really is a shame that they aren`t all in color.




Overall I give good remarks to this release. Despite its flaws, the price, the color, and the size, are "must have" points to me.

I would give this release 8,8 stars out of ten. (You all know what a 10 is).

Btw, if you want to know how good the translation is, its on the same level as the ones from previous editions. Their translation is good but not perfect. Herms said once on this board that he would give 7 stars out of 10 to the Viz translation, which is not bad at all. All the original meaning and intent is pretty much always there.
Last edited by rereboy on Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:07 am, edited 13 times in total.

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1026
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: DragonBall VizBig Manga Dissection

Post by SSJSteve » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:38 pm

rereboy wrote: And this is the scan of the Vizbig (sorry about the poor quality of the scan):

Image
I was reading this today; I bought the whole collection of the manga from Viz (Dragon Ball Complete Box Set 1-16). When I was reading it I was a little surprised to see it censored, :lol: It's cool from the other pictures to see it uncensored.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10261
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Re: DragonBall VizBig Manga Dissection

Post by rereboy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:50 pm

SSJSteve wrote:
I was reading this today; I bought the whole collection of the manga from Viz (Dragon Ball Complete Box Set 1-16). When I was reading it I was a little surprised to see it censored, :lol: It's cool from the other pictures to see it uncensored.
Well I think that all the VizBigs are the same regarding censorship (they all have exactly the same), but the other editions are a complete lottery. You never know what you`ll get because they are really inconsistent about it.

dragonpiece
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:10 am
Contact:

Post by dragonpiece » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:47 pm

I one hand have been LOVING these releases as this was how i got into dragon ball in general. And uh can you tell me how you got the last one early?And is the toriyama sensie corner gone?

rereboy
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10261
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Post by rereboy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:49 pm

dragonpiece wrote:I one hand have been LOVING these releases as this was how i got into dragon ball in general. And uh can you tell me how you got the last one early?And is the toriyama sensie corner gone?
I will tell you by private message.

Yes it is gone, sadly.

That reminds me, I forgot to describe all the contents of the books. I will take care of it later.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10261
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Post by rereboy » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:46 pm

Full contents of each Vizbig added.

User avatar
Super Sonic
I Live Here
Posts: 4968
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:45 pm

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:34 am

Anyone else notice it's only the DB VizBigs that get shortchanged on color pages for some reason? They have no problem putting full color in the Kenshin ones. And never read Fushugi Yugi, so can't say how that is.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10261
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Post by rereboy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:36 am

Super Sonic wrote:Anyone else notice it's only the DB VizBigs that get shortchanged on color pages for some reason? They have no problem putting full color in the Kenshin ones. And never read Fushugi Yugi, so can't say how that is.
Yes, I also have the kenshin ones and they have all the color.

However, the DB ones seem to have more pages in color, especially in the first 3 volumes. Maybe that`s one of the reasons why it doesn`t have all the color.
For example, DB VizBig 4 has all the color that the original volumes had, but its also the VizBig volume which has less color pages to deal with.

User avatar
SHINOBI-03
I Live Here
Posts: 2562
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:47 am
Location: United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Contact:

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:57 am

Umm, rereboy... Can you reupload the censored panels on a different site? I have problems with the site you used here.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

rereboy
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10261
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Post by rereboy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:09 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:Umm, rereboy... Can you reupload the censored panels on a different site? I have problems with the site you used here.
Previous censored one
Image

Vizbig one
Image

Added:
Example of a Vizbig color page (full color)
Image

Added:
Scan of the worst censoring in the Vizbig
Image

User avatar
dragonfist
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 239
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:15 pm
Location: Puerto Rico

Post by dragonfist » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:36 pm

It could be much, much worse. Just ask FUNimation 8)

rereboy
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10261
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Post by rereboy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:02 pm

dragonfist wrote:It could be much, much worse. Just ask FUNimation 8)
Exactly :wink:

User avatar
Brad Redfield
Regular
Posts: 565
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:49 pm
Location: Illinois, USA
Contact:

Post by Brad Redfield » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:05 pm

rereboy wrote:Yes, I also have the kenshin ones and they have all the color.
Actually, the first omnibus for Kenshin has the beginning of chapter four gray-scaled.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10261
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Post by rereboy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:08 pm

Brad Redfield wrote:
rereboy wrote:Yes, I also have the kenshin ones and they have all the color.
Actually, the first omnibus for Kenshin has the beginning of chapter four gray-scaled.
I did a little research and found out that myself. But its safe to say that it has 99% of the color, I think.

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5954
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:00 pm

dragonfist wrote:It could be much, much worse. Just ask FUNimation 8)
You mean the company who has provided us with completely uncut releases including the Japanese version with some of the best subs out there, not to mention the Dragon Box masters straight from Japan? :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

rereboy
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10261
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Post by rereboy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:10 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
dragonfist wrote:It could be much, much worse. Just ask FUNimation 8)
You mean the company who has provided us with completely uncut releases including the Japanese version with some of the best subs out there, not to mention the Dragon Box masters straight from Japan? :lol:
They are finally doing things right. Because up until recently... :lol:

User avatar
Super Sonic
I Live Here
Posts: 4968
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:45 pm

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:16 pm

rereboy wrote:
Brad Redfield wrote:
rereboy wrote:Yes, I also have the kenshin ones and they have all the color.
Actually, the first omnibus for Kenshin has the beginning of chapter four gray-scaled.
I did a little research and found out that myself. But its safe to say that it has 99% of the color, I think.
Knew that, but aside from it, all in color. And also, they fixed the typos that were in the original gns.

User avatar
Sin
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 777
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:24 pm
Location: England

Post by Sin » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:25 pm

Thanks for this, I'll be picking up the first volume in a few days.

Maybe grab one of the Dragonball Z ones too.

User avatar
Brad Redfield
Regular
Posts: 565
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:49 pm
Location: Illinois, USA
Contact:

Post by Brad Redfield » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:15 am

I picked up DB omnibus 5 today and after reading it I realized something: How is Viz going to handle volumes 41 and 42? Have the DBZ omnibus 8 be a 'five-in-one' volume? Or one last ninth omnibus with just the two remaining volumes?

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here
Posts: 3496
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: West City

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:22 am

Brad Redfield wrote:I picked up DB omnibus 5 today and after reading it I realized something: How is Viz going to handle volumes 41 and 42? Have the DBZ omnibus 8 be a 'five-in-one' volume? Or one last ninth omnibus with just the two remaining volumes?
Seven and eight will probably by four-in-ones.

Locked