Dragonball Meet in NYC

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:03 pm

jda95 wrote:
Herms wrote:I might be in New York in December, but I guess that's too far down the line for this.
Same.

Postpone for the two most awesome members of the forum? :lol:
Who?

Just kidding. :D

But a December meet might be a bit to chilly. Cold weather in the city never stopped me from going out before, but it would be much better to meet a group of folks in some nice-ish weather. But, if a majority of people want to go later in the year I wouldn't mind moving the date.

I called Kinokuniya the other day and unfortunately the employee wasn't sure about the upcoming schedule and told me to call back during a weekday to see if I could get someone who did.

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:34 am

Then how about we just shoot for October and if that goes well we can think about December?
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:38 am

Velasa's plan sounds good. I'm rarely on the east coast, but I'm more likely to be there during the holidays.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:05 am

VegettoEX wrote:I think it's a great idea.

Of course, the problem right now is that the weather is getting cooler. It would probably be a better idea to arrange something "sooner" than "later" 'cuz no-one really likes wandering around the city when it's freezing and windy (as it tends to get).

Kinokuniya (1073 Avenue of the Americas; 40th/41st) and Book-Off (14 East 41st) would be great places to hit, and are just on the opposite side of Bryant Park / the library from each other.

I really have no time to arrange something right now, but if other people want to do so, I might come on up...
Otakon 2010. 8)

Velasa

Post by Velasa » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:43 am

I've been trying to go to Otakon for a while now but one thing or another keeps making it fall through. That would be an awesome idea if we could organize things to some extent.

But again, yeah, start small and then start planning con meets. Where we'd all cosplay of course << With flags.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:40 am

If you guys want to eventually plan on con meetings, especially in the case of Otakon, get ready to make those long ass lines. I couldn't make it to the early pre-reg line and I even heard that was pretty bad. I had to make about a 3-4 hour wait since 5am for Friday. I also think Velasa's plan is solid.

I will be at NYAF if anyone else is gonna there.

ShadowDude112

Post by ShadowDude112 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:10 pm

I live in NJ so I could probably make it.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:24 pm

I don't live anywhere near this place you speak of. Too bad.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Ramoro-san
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ramoro-san » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:03 am

About a meeting time...
Friday night, Saturday afternoon, or Sunday afternoon/evening of the first weekend of October are all good for me. Same goes for any weekend, really. Except of course this coming weekend because I'm going to NY Anime Festival.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:45 am

Velasa wrote:Then how about we just shoot for October and if that goes well we can think about December?
I don't see why not. But first thing first let's get the October meet set up.

Kinokuniya will have their October schedule posted on their website sometime at the end of this month. Even though I don't know what their schedule will be like I'm going to go ahead and set a date. I think this date would everyone enough time to plan for the meet.

Suggested date: October 17

Suggested venue: Kinokuniya 1073 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY‎ (Second Floor Cafe)

Suggested time: 2 PM - 5 PM

For those you who are seriously interested in coming, please let me know what you think about the time and date. In few days I'm going to post an official thread about the DBZ Meet.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:04 am

Narp. Can't make it. I gotta test for my next belt rank, go to the USHF Seminar for Hapkido training in Bloomington on Oct. 4th and then on Oct. 10th I'm gonna go to the Pacific Island Gathering for a Kali training at the Midway Kodenkan in Chicago. That'll pretty much drain all of my funds that don't go in my stomach or keep a roof over my head.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:21 am

Scarz, what the Hell? How did you manage to take those pictures in Kinokuniya! Sometimes when I try to take a picture with my cell phone to make a stupid twitpic comment, they stop me. :lol:

EvilGamerX
Beyond Newbie

Post by EvilGamerX » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:46 am

Where ya planning to go aside from Kino?

I may have plans that day though, but I rarely post, so meh.
- Life is a game, play it!

Zenkai Power
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai Power » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:53 am

Darn, I'm living in NYC at the moment but I have to go back to Texas during most of October. I'll be in NYC until October 6th, but I'm sure that'll be way before a meet up.

Milton
Patreon Supporter

Post by Milton » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:15 am

Oh man, Book-Off! If you like R2 DVDs, this is your place to go. I snagged two R2s from there for 30 bucks each, which is peanuts compared to online. They also had a decent VHS and music section, as well. The prices for manga are pretty reasonable, as well; last time I went, I grabbed the latest One Piece tankoubon and paid about $8. The majority of product at Book-Off is used, though, so if that's not your thing you may want to steer clear.

That said, I might be down for this as well. Guess it all depends on the usual factors: time and money.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:41 am

I would absolutely LOVE to come, but I'm in Colorado. If I get financially stable enough to afford a flight and hotel I'll definitely come, but otherwise I'll just be there in spirit. Best of luck to you guys. :)
-Laserkid

Velasa

Post by Velasa » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:02 pm

Hmn...

It'll take me probably two and a half hours to get there <_< I really need to get the hell out of my house though so I think I can swallow that. The main stumbling block now if ironing down whether someone can get me to a train station. If I can get that, I'll figure out the rest and be able to come up, granted there's more than three people confirming.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:00 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Scarz, what the Hell? How did you manage to take those pictures in Kinokuniya! Sometimes when I try to take a picture with my cell phone to make a stupid twitpic comment, they stop me. :lol:
I asked the manager permission to take pictures of the store. I told him what the pics were for and he was completely cool with it.

So far it seems that only two people expressed some interest in coming. We are definitely going to need more than two people to show up, at least get 6-10 people. If we can't get enough people to come to the meet I may have to put it off for another date or cancel it altogether.

Ramoro-san
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ramoro-san » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:35 am

Confirmed! October 17 is good for me.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:37 am

I don't know if I could go because of work, I'll know like a week before though.