How would you handle a Freeza movie adaption?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

How would you handle a Freeza movie adaption?

Post by Steven Perry » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:09 am

Okay, so Dragonball Evolution came out on DVD recently, and to be quite honest, I found it pretty good; the effects were awesome, and the action was decent. It wasn't done as well as it could've been done obviously, but I didn't judge and I ended up enjoying it. One thing I was particularly impressed with though, was Piccolo. I couldn't imagine him done better, could you? Well anyway, there's probably going to be a sequel, and if so, Freeza's probably gonna be in it...

So I was watching recently 'The Chronicles Of Riddick', and a character caught my interest: 'Lord Marshall'. Somehow, this guy totally reminded me of Freeza; whenever I saw him, 'Freeza' would scream in my head. His character, the way he looks, his powers, the plot surrounding him, and the 'Saiyans versus repression' idea seems totally reminiscent of Freeza. If you haven't watched the movie yet (it's decent), then maybe you should! I know he's not white, but his deseign seems to be just right... really sinister. Here's a link: http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0005032/mediaindex

So, in my opinion, this would be the best way to handle this character for a movie adaption. Although, the tone of DBE wouldn't really work with it.

How do you envision a movie Freeza?
Last edited by Steven Perry on Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:00 am

Freeza should probably be played by some feminine young actor and have him dubbed over to sound almost as deep as Marster's Daimao, that'd be kick ass.

I'm not sure about the designs, maybe keep him looking the same and nothing too scaly or over the top if they're going to make him look like a lizard.

As for transformations, if they have to lose one, they should lose the second form, since it's basically just the first form only larger with different horns, when he transforms at first it has to be scary and gorey, so his spiky/xenomorph look would match that perfectly, and make him slightly more primal like this.

His final form should be the most femboyish, definitely. 8) A Smooth body with alien lines and markings over certain parts would look right... I'm focusing on the cute side too much, my avatar is rubbing off on me the wrong way... :shock:

Ok, definitely make him vicious and cruel, he needs to use his finger nails like a cat almost and he'd kill most of his own men, of course, he needs the highest body count!

The space armor that everybody uses in this part of the series should definitely be kept pretty much the same, only clean rubbery/Batmanesque + metal look, Raditz's, if he appears, should be worn and dirty though.

Freeza should have a bit of a tunic added as would all the high rank killers like Zarbon, people thought Freeza was an old lady alien in the dub, he should look like a young crossdresser alien in this. :lol:

I might do doodles of how I envision all of the Freeza arc characters, including Raditz, Nappa and Vegeta...

I'm not thinking about this too much am I? >.>

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:11 am

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I want a live action Freeza to be similar to Raul Julia's portrayal of M. Bison in the live-action Street Fighter movie. Borderline insane and over-the-top, while still being absolutely brilliant.

As far as looks go, I'd like to see them try to do something similar to Piccolo, even if they go as far as to put him in a weird Batman suit. As long as it looks like the character (in a Batman suit), I'm fine.
[quote="Kunzait_83, on FUNimation's dub of [i]Dragon Ball Z[/i]"]"ACTION!!! EXTREME!!! AMERICAN!!!! PUNCHES TO THE HEAD!!! FUCK YEAH!!!"[/quote]
On [url=http://twitter.com/joey_blanton]my Twitter[/url], postin' some mad tweets.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:09 pm

As long as the movie was better than the King Piccolo movie adaptation, I'd give it a shot.

That movie pissed me off....and the new Airbender movie makes me like the DBE movie EVEN less and more pissed [for MANY reasons.]

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:23 pm

If any of you saw Inglourious Basterds then I have to say that Christopher Waltz "Hans Landa" Would be an amazing Freeza.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:30 pm

omegacwa wrote:If any of you saw Inglourious Basterds then I have to say that Christopher Waltz "Hans Landa" Would be an amazing Freeza.
Holy fucking shit. You're brilliant.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:35 pm

Let's see... First off, Freeza would be portrayed by a male actor.

Second, appearance-wise I'd strike a balance. Not much would change, actually. He'd still have the reptilian-esque tail. But he'd look a little more humanoid in other ways. I couldn't tell you for sure until I actually tried to draw him. (Hmmmm...) Oh, and he'd wear clothes.

I think I'd only have him transform once, for the story's sake. The 'transform, fight, transform, fight, transform, fight' sequence worked fine for the manga, but in a movie I think that'd seem contrived and would take too long. So I'd give him one spikey, restrictive form that resembled a cross between his first and second forms, and then his slim true form.

As far has how that story would actually play out... I dunno. I'd have to give it more thought.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:54 pm

omegacwa wrote:If any of you saw Inglourious Basterds then I have to say that Christopher Waltz "Hans Landa" Would be an amazing Freeza.
0_0;

Yeah... You win.

That's... Yeah. 0_0; That would be absolutely perfect.
[quote="Kunzait_83, on FUNimation's dub of [i]Dragon Ball Z[/i]"]"ACTION!!! EXTREME!!! AMERICAN!!!! PUNCHES TO THE HEAD!!! FUCK YEAH!!!"[/quote]
On [url=http://twitter.com/joey_blanton]my Twitter[/url], postin' some mad tweets.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:06 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Tue May 03, 2011 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:12 pm

Wow. I really thought I was the only one who thought this. When I first saw him in IB, something ticked that said "Whoa, this guy is perfect for a live-action Freeza...of course I'm probably the only one who thinks this, hahaha." Small world, indeed.

But yeah, he would be perfect.

Remix
Beyond Newbie

Post by Remix » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:20 pm

The idea of Christopher Waltz as Freeza is an awesome one, but I can't help but imagine how silly that would look.
Hi, I'm WeeklyTubeShow. Innagadadavida and I like to make videos.

Perhaps you'd like to see one.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:23 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Tue May 03, 2011 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Freeza.exe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza.exe » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:34 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Remix wrote:The idea of Christopher Waltz as Freeza is an awesome one, but I can't help but imagine how silly that would look.
I dunno if I'd actually cast the guy HIMSELF as Freeza, but I'd definitely use his Basterds performance as a guide and frame of reference for how Freeza ought to be portrayed, characterization and performance-wise, in live action. In attitude, tone, and overall persona, the character of Hans Landa is an excellent barometer for what kind of direction Freeza as a character should be taken in via a live action DBZ film.

But let's not kid ourselves: we all saw Evolution, and it was a pretty lightweight and toothless affair. No way in hell would any Hollywood exec have the balls to do Freeza properly. He'd be watered down all to hell for the PG going crowd.
Sooooo we'd end up with Funi Freeza. :lol:
My friend broke my PSP just in time for Naruto Ultimate Ninja 5 to come out....WHOOOO!

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:00 pm

The Hans Landa character is definitely the archtype for they should do for Freeza if they every get around to making a live action adaptation of the Freeza arc. Having Christoph Waltz himself do the part might be tricky. Maybe having him dub the voice ala James Earl Jones in the Star Wars movies would be more believable.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:11 pm

@Kunzait - That was my point earlier; it seems the people involved with DBE took it as a big joke.

DragonBall has been around 25 years and this is what we get out of it....although Avatar the Last Airbender is an American anime-esque show on tv for only a few short years and they are makign that into a HUGE movie that looks quite expensive and pretty well done.

It really and truly pisses me off to no end.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:16 pm

I would do a CGI version of him, and have a male actor do the voice for him. After seeing the clips for Avatar, I think a GCI Freeza might work.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:44 pm

Hao_Kaiser wrote:I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I want a live action Freeza to be similar to Raul Julia's portrayal of M. Bison in the live-action Street Fighter movie. Borderline insane and over-the-top, while still being absolutely brilliant.
I have to agree with this. Would be quite nice. And have Tim Curry voice him.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:09 pm

HOLY CRAP! A PERRY SIGHTING!

Yeah, that's all I have to say... uh, Freeza would be purple. Like Barney. Yeah.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

dragonballzgtfighter
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballzgtfighter » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:17 pm

For the next movie they could do Raditz up to the point where they are on Namek.
http://dragonballzgt.smfforfree3.com/index.php Join us! And take a step in making the fan's Dragonball Z game!

Our Trailer http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GpxuKNAJxOM

Characters that must appear in the ultimate DBZGT game http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=dragonballzgtfighter

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:20 pm

Well, I'd rather have a male actor portraying Freeza similar to his Japanese seiyuu, but in terms of who exactly I'd pick, I have no idea because that's just not my area.

Only big change I'd make is he'd wear his armor in his final form as well--this is not my preference, but I know there would be movie critics and parents out there that would go "why is he naked!" so its mostly just a safety measure.

We need to keep the hover chair; I really liked how it kind of aided in hiding how powerful he was beyond simply seeing Kuririn and Gohan freak out upon sensing Freeza's ki.

As for looks, I'd try to stay as close as possible; Freeza's design isn't nearly as impossible to execute properly as the conundrum that is Goku's hair (though I would still feel no less rage than I do now towards Chatku even if he DID have the hair; because he lacks the personality).

Speaking of personality, I want Freeza kept very IC. He needs his "Oh ho ho ho." laugh and you'd need an actor with the ability to leap between polite!Freeza and ANGRY!Freeza.

There are other things mentioned in this thread I agree with; like looking for a pretty-boy body type, and adding CG would be really helpful when it comes to things like transformations.

About Avatar; I think one of the main reasons its getting better treatment is because they've got the creators of the series involved. As far as I know, Mr. Toriyama just signed papers to let them adapt his series but wasn't physically there to see each and every thing all the way through. Few people have the guts to radically alter a series to their own preferences when they've got the creators of said series standing right there beside them fact-checking and approving stuff.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!