Amazon's Dragon Box Description

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

james039

Post by james039 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:26 pm

The description on Amazon gives me real hope that these are the real deal.

I'm just the kind of R2 importing obsessive purist this release seems to be targetting.

Don't disappoint me Funimation.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:14 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:
Big Momma wrote:
Timo wrote:36,46€ ?! :shock:

ORDERED!
What would that be in American zenie? :D
http://tinyurl.com/cl2of2
If you're going to be a snide ass, you should at least utilize Google to the extent that the answer is actually given.

Like so.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:03 pm

Kendamu wrote: To a lot of Americans, having to go on a Japanese-only website to find them, finding a seller willing to ship internationally, and then having to pay Japanese DVD prices severely cuts down on the number of options you have. Even at used prices, the Dragon Boxes are still being sold for a decent chunk of change.

Why are we even arguing the context of "rare" anyway? Is the fact that they're less rare than unicorn poop really make them not rare at all?
There are services for shipping arrangements, and they're still available for less than retail price. If Joe American think they're still expensive, him about that, but that only makes the item "expensive", not "rare". Likewise, the fact that you have to dick around with a couple different services to arrange the import only makes it "somewhat cumbersome to get", not "rare". Everything out of print isn't rare, everything not released in every country ever isn't rare, and everything you may have to go online to get isn't rare.

To get a Dragonbox, all you have to do is to go online, buy one from a seller who takes less than retail price, and then possibly make an arrangement with a shipping service company if the seller doesn't ship internationally. The fact that it's that easy makes the item by definition "not rare".
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:24 pm

"The Dragon Boxes were limited items in the truest sense of the word. An order start date would be announced several months in advance, as well as an order deadline. The ordering windows were typically several months in length, and all manufacturing of the box sets were based solely on the number of orders received. In other words, they only made enough boxes to satisfy the orders made within the given timelines, after which point production on the boxes ended indefinitely. With so few actual Dragon Boxes in circulation (most of which already in the loving arms of DragonBall fans), it makes finding these boxes nowadays a virtual impossibility." -- Kanzentai.com

Seems kinda rare to me. I mean, really... if they were so easy to get, why don't more of us who aren't in real need of subtitles in possession of them right now going, "Too little too late, FUNimation," or something to that degree?
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:59 pm

Sorry, I don't understand what Kanzentai means by that. There are 20+ used copies of each box available used on Amazon Japan, there's a whole bunch of them on Yahoo Auctions, many of them going for much less than the original price, and services like Celga makes it possible to buy from sellers who don't ship internationally. They're not overly common items you can just waltz into a regular store to buy, but they're not rare, and they're anything but "a virtual impossibility" to get ahold of.

Hell, if you want to talk about rare items, the Madman Saga of Goku set is much rarer, which is why the Funi Dragonball season 1 brick was so welcomed.
if they were so easy to get, why don't more of us who aren't in real need of subtitles in possession of them right now going, "Too little too late, FUNimation," or something to that degree?
Why should they? I mean, is there something better Funi could release instead? I don't have any interest in this release, already owning the one Dragonbox I wanted, but I haven't been posting all over the Funibox threads about how much I'm not buying this and how Funi should've released some magic item that doesn't exist instead. Let the people who want it have it.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:30 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:(or $90 as Best Buy have it for on their website)
Best Buy has lowered the price to $69.99, actually. Just wanted to put that out there. :P

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:19 am

Adamant wrote:Sorry, I don't understand what Kanzentai means by that. There are 20+ used copies of each box available used on Amazon Japan, there's a whole bunch of them on Yahoo Auctions, many of them going for much less than the original price, and services like Celga makes it possible to buy from sellers who don't ship internationally. They're not overly common items you can just waltz into a regular store to buy, but they're not rare, and they're anything but "a virtual impossibility" to get ahold of.
I asked Hujio about this, and this was what he said:
DBW is actually the one that wrote the whole "virtual impossibility" thing. The thing is, most people aren't willing to pay that much. And to be fair, at the time those pages were made, they were virtually impossible to find since most people didn't want to sell them at the time. It has only been within the past 2 years that they're popping up more on Japanese auction sites.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:26 am

Wow... This fanbase really likes to fight with one another... this week it's the Definition of the word "rare"...
At least it's a break from the usual "Sub vs Dub" arguments...

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:33 am

Herms wrote:And to be fair, at the time those pages were made, they were virtually impossible to find since most people didn't want to sell them at the time. It has only been within the past 2 years that they're popping up more on Japanese auction sites.
yeah, I figured it was something like that, since I know the pages have been up for quite some time. Sorry to trouble you like that.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:24 am

DemonRin wrote:Wow... This fanbase really likes to fight with one another... this week it's the Definition of the word "rare"...
Ya' know, I'd argue that it's really posts like this that contribute to any problems there are more than the actual conversations at hand.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:36 am

Brad Redfield wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:(or $90 as Best Buy have it for on their website)
Best Buy has lowered the price to $69.99, actually. Just wanted to put that out there. :P
Tricky Best Buy lol I don't think they'd lower the price unless the Dragon Boxes themselves have lowered in price before coming out (advertised as $79.99, but everyone would think they're getting a deal). Anyway, I'm done with Best Buy lol They screwed me over with a credit card issue (not one of their credit cards, my own credit card) and I'm pretty much finished with them. I pumped thousands of dollars into their business and they don't know how to treat their customers.

Anyway, $55, free shipping and handling, probably going to get it on the day it comes out anyway. Amazon baby!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:30 pm

Adamant wrote:
if they were so easy to get, why don't more of us who aren't in real need of subtitles in possession of them right now going, "Too little too late, FUNimation," or something to that degree?
Why should they? I mean, is there something better Funi could release instead? I don't have any interest in this release, already owning the one Dragonbox I wanted, but I haven't been posting all over the Funibox threads about how much I'm not buying this and how Funi should've released some magic item that doesn't exist instead. Let the people who want it have it.
Y'kinda missed my point there. That wasn't about you specifically. I didn't even know you owned a Japanese DBox until just now.
DemonRin wrote:Wow... This fanbase really likes to fight with one another... this week it's the Definition of the word "rare"...
Fans of a fighting manga like fighting? Preposterous! :lol:
(they/she)

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:18 pm

Kendamu wrote: Y'kinda missed my point there. That wasn't about you specifically. I didn't even know you owned a Japanese DBox until just now.
My point was just that, even if you already own a Japanese Dragonbox and don't need subtitles/dub/whatever, why would you be disappointed in the Funibox announcement? Even if you have no personal interest, it's still going to be of interest to others, and it's not like there's anything better than the Dragonbox Funi could release instead.

The Funibox may be "too late", but I don't see how it's "too little". What could they have done better?

And yeah, I got the first Z Dragonbox. It's sexy.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:46 pm

It's just a phrase. Stop doing that. :?

Also, the idea is that the English-speaking portions of fandom that don't require subtitles to watch Japanese DBZ would've possibly acted that way if the Dragon Boxes weren't all that rare or expensive. We'd have them already.

Just yet another reason to whine or argue about something. That's my point.
(they/she)

kenshiro87

Post by kenshiro87 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:06 pm

I Ordered it here like so many other DVD:

http://www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=1934621

Only 31 € and 4 € for shipping to France ^^

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:33 pm

According to the Funimation panel at NYAF, the release schedule for the Dragon Box is two to three months (closer to two apparently) in between each set.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:22 pm

If it is 2 months, that'll mean we'd get it from November 2009 to November 2010 :D

Getting all of Dragon Box Z in one year, it'd be amazing...

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:33 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:If it is 2 months, that'll mean we'd get it from November 2009 to November 2010 :D

Getting all of Dragon Box Z in one year, it'd be amazing...
That would require getting a lot of money in a short time, though. Still, it would be amazing....

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:33 pm

Brad Redfield wrote:According to the Funimation panel at NYAF, the release schedule for the Dragon Box is two to three months (closer to two apparently) in between each set.
I'll be sure to keep the money necessary.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

anvil

Post by anvil » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:51 am

kenshiro87 wrote:I Ordered it here like so many other DVD:

http://www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=1934621

Only 31 € and 4 € for shipping to France ^^
is it trustworthy?

How's the package when it arrives? I mean the DVD are in a solid box with soft materials holding it in place? I'm just afraid the DVD would arrive with scratches and dents you see.

Hope you could help with my questions. thanks!