Nods to famous movies and other cinema

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Nods to famous movies and other cinema

Post by kenisu3000 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:15 am

So, in my never-ending quest to take my written notes about DBZ BGM and type them up for online viewing, I reached episode 146 today, and looking over the stuff I had written... oh, well over a year ago, I remembered a scene from this episode that had always stood out to me for some reason.
In case you need a recap, 146 contains a non-canon scene where Kuririn meets Cell at an airport, and a short battle ensues, with both fighters ending up on an airplane in full flight. Kuririn's head gets caught in the side of the plane, and Cell comes up on the wing and is about to finish him off when the other Z-Warriors arrive. Cell then grabs Kuririn's face in a mocking sort of way, then withdraws his hand and gives Kuririn a "tsk-tsk, naughty-naughty" finger wave, before taking to the skies.

For the longest time, this little scene has sparked something else in my memory of a similar shot from some other movie, but I could never figure it out until now.
It's from Twilight Zone: The Movie. Specifically, the most famous sequence in this film: "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet," where John Lithgow plays a severe aerophobe who sees a gremlin out on the wing of a commercial flight, shoots the window out with a revolver and tries to kill said gremlin. His firings are useless, and the gremlin walks up to Lithgow's head, which is sticking out of the window, grabs his face, then gives him the aforementioned "naughty-naughty" gesture before leaping off the wing into the clouds.

Anybody else caught any other parodies of famous movie scenes throughout DB/Z/GT? The Jaws mockery in early DragonBall when Goku and Kuririn are training under Kame Sennin also comes to mind...
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

Sunlight & City Night
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sunlight & City Night » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:46 am

Trunks remembering the future while "Mind Power...Ki" plays in the background is a parody/homage to a scene in Terminator. It's almost identical to the scene where Kyle Reece remembers the destruction and suffering in his time line.
"HEAD CHA LA!"
------------------------
DBO - Pauten - Server 1
------------------------
http://sonpauten.deviantart.com/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=539041065
http://twitter.com/#!/sonPauten

russ869
Beyond Newbie

Post by russ869 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:02 pm

Yeah, I was going mention that exact same Terminator thing.

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:05 pm

Well, Android #8 is obviously a reference to the famous 1931 Frankenstein movie.

russ869
Beyond Newbie

Post by russ869 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:10 pm

Here's a good one. The healing tank used by Freeza's planet selling organization is clearly a Bacta Tank from the Empire Strikes Back.

http://www.starwarsholidayspecial.com/s ... _large.jpg

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:10 pm

Doesn't #16's skeleton look just like the Terminator's?

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:18 pm

Someone else mentioned this before, but the whole Buu saga owes a lot to Disney's Aladdin. Djinns, parachute pants... anything else?
Officer Hippoface sez: "I don't take kindly to vigilantes in my town."

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:11 pm

It's dub only, but the flashback sequence of Frieza being rebuilt pays homage to The $6,000,000 Man.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:49 pm

Didn't Gamera appear in one episode of DB?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:17 pm

I can't remember if the original Twilight Zone episode that first featured that airplane/monster story also had the character to the naughty-naughty finger wave, but it might have...

I can't remember any exact movie scene-esque scenes from Dragonball, but I've seen a lot of the same moods and stories in some modern films that instantly remind me of specific parts of the series.

Saiyaman Prime
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Saiyaman Prime » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:01 pm

I'm not sure if this is true or not but I have heard that Freeza's third form is based on the aliens from the movie Alien.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:17 pm

Super Sonic wrote:It's dub only, but the flashback sequence of Freeza being rebuilt pays homage to The $6,000,000 Man.
That was the funniest, most random reference the dub ever made! :lol:

Were kids of the late 90's supposed to get a reference from a 70's TV series? :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:52 pm

Saiyaman Prime wrote:I'm not sure if this is true or not but I have heard that Freeza's third form is based on the aliens from the movie Alien.
I can see that.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:07 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Super Sonic wrote:It's dub only, but the flashback sequence of Freeza being rebuilt pays homage to The $6,000,000 Man.
That was the funniest, most random reference the dub ever made! :lol:

Were kids of the late 90's supposed to get a reference from a 70's TV series? :lol:
It's a pretty famous reference. I totally got it. It's right up there with "I pity the fool."
Officer Hippoface sez: "I don't take kindly to vigilantes in my town."

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:56 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:
Saiyaman Prime wrote:I'm not sure if this is true or not but I have heard that Freeza's third form is based on the aliens from the movie Alien.
I can see that.
Yeah, it's almost identical.

Aliens and Terminator are the two movies that come to mind. I'm sure there's more.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:34 am

Supposedly Toriyama got some inspiration from martial arts movies. There's probably a nod to several of those. Several characters are based on movie monsters, as well. (Frankenstein's Monster was already mentioned, & Dracula comes to mind)

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:14 am

The Drunken Fist attack that Kame-Sennin pulled off as Jackie Chun is a reference to one of my favourite kung fu films, starring Jackie Chan, Drunken Master. :D

Anyone else got a Kung Fu movie reference to bring up?

Another Terminator one, Metallic seems to resemble Arnie, and even wears similar glasses.

Sunlight & City Night
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sunlight & City Night » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:48 am

The Time Traveller wrote:The Drunken Fist attack that Kame-Sennin pulled off as Jackie Chun is a reference to one of my favourite kung fu films, starring Jackie Chan, Drunken Master. :D
I'm sure Toriyama said in one volume of the tankōbon that Drunken Master was one of his major inspirations for Dragon Ball series and his favorite film. I'm not sure if it's on the "about the author" page or if it's featured in the random Q&A pages that appear occasionally.
"HEAD CHA LA!"
------------------------
DBO - Pauten - Server 1
------------------------
http://sonpauten.deviantart.com/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=539041065
http://twitter.com/#!/sonPauten

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:19 am

Could muscle tower be seen as a reference to the tower in Bruce Lee's movie The Game of Death?

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:29 pm

russ869 wrote:Here's a good one. The healing tank used by Freeza's planet selling organization is clearly a Bacta Tank from the Empire Strikes Back.

http://www.starwarsholidayspecial.com/s ... _large.jpg
Hotlinking is for monkeys.

Also, I have an image comparing Coola to a Predator and Freeza to a Xenomorph, but I'm at school at the moment, so I'll have to post that in about... three and a half hours? Maybe four.

I hate school. Oh so much.