DB/Older anime fans different from new anime fans?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:45 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:You're entitled to your opinion and far be it from me to tell you you shouldn't think this way but I really wish you wouldn't say things like this in a matter of fact fashion.
But you're OK with people saying that the English dub of Cowboy Bebop is great, period? What's the difference? ;þ
It just seems like you're stating this opinion like it's common knowledge while I'm sure many would care to disagree with you.
I wish it were common knowledge. :þ
No I'm not fine with it, however many of the people stating they like the dub have given reasons as to why they feel this way. You however just state all dubs suck and nothing more without even explaining why you feel this way as Innagadadavida had pointed out.
Last edited by NeptuneKai on Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:45 pm

Herms wrote:
Innagadadavida wrote:No, I'm honestly asking what the fuck you want out of an English dub to make it "passable" in your oh-so-humble opinion.
He's certainly stating his opinion in a far humbler way than you are...
Yeah you're right. I got a little upset over something stupid. My bad, Oliver. If you can see past my harsh phrasing I'd still like to see a response. :(

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:47 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:No, I'm honestly asking what the fuck you want out of an English dub to make it "passable" in your oh-so-humble opinion.
(my "oh-so-humble opinion"? hey, you're the one who brought god into this, remember? ^^;)
It's not like I want an English dub at all, really... I'm fine with the original Japanese one...
But hey, they both exist, and even ignoring the inherent handicap of the translated script, I think the English dub is far inferior in many ways, that's all.
Do you want good acting? Appropriate casting? True to the tone of the original? Accurate script?
Yup.
Oh wait, Bebop has all of that.
... aaaand I disagree. Sorry.
(did you read the usenet post I linked to above?)
don't go on and on about how all or most dubs are "atrocious." Because that's bullshit ignorance.
I didn't say "all" or "most". But thanks for the kind words all the same.

NeptuneKai wrote:many of the people stating they like the dub have given reasons as to why they feel this way. You however just state all dubs suck
I didn't quite say that...
and nothing more without even explaining why you feel this way as Innagadadavida had pointed out.
Can't you people click on links? ^__^;;

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:53 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:

Can't you people click on links? ^__^;;
The only link you have posted is some random person whose opinion I didn't care about at all, I want to hear your opinion in your own words. Your snarky consistent smiley faces aren't exactly appreciated either, thank you.
Olivier Hague wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:many of the people stating they like the dub have given reasons as to why they feel this way. You however just state all dubs suck
I didn't quite say that...

"I know many English dubs were/are absolutely atrocious"

Sounds pretty much like what you were saying to me. Maybe to make it more accurate I should just reaplce the word "all" with "many".

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:01 am

Let's all knock it off with the nastiness, a'ight?
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:04 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:Let's all knock it off with the nastiness, a'ight?
Who's being nasty? Everyone seems pretty chill to me in this conversation.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:05 am

NeptuneKai wrote:The only link you have posted is some random person whose opinion I didn't care about at all, I want to hear your opinion in your own words.
Er... I'm a "random person", too, y'know...
'Not sure why you'd want me to use "my own words". My own words suck, especially the English ones. The guy did a good job, and like I said, I agree with him overall. That should give you a good idea of why I (or "some") think the English dub is inferior to the original. Isn't that what you want?
(if not, what are you looking for? some kind of "evidence" that I sincerely agree with that guy?)
Your snarky consistent smiley faces aren't exactly appreciated either, thank you.
Kindly don't blame me for your own interpretation of my smiley faces...
"I know many English dubs were/are absolutely atrocious"

Sounds pretty much like what you were saying to me. Maybe to make it more accurate I should just reaplce the word "all" with "many".
Maybe you should, indeed.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:09 am

Olivier Hague wrote: Er... I'm a "random person", too, y'know...
'Not sure why you'd want me to use "my own words". My own words suck, especially the English ones. The guy did a good job, and like I said, I agree with him overall. That should give you a good idea of why I think the English dub is inferior to the original. Isn't that what you want?
(if not, what are you looking for? some kind of "evidence" that I sincerely agree with that guy?)
No you're not a random person, you're the man I'm talking to right now, who I'm actively engaging in a conversation with right now. I sincerely don't care about this other persons opinion because I'm not invested in what he has to say at the moment, I'm interested in what you have to say. That brings me to...

I would like your own words because I would like to hear YOUR opinion. In a debate you don't point to an article in a newspaper and say you agree with a certain person you explain why you feel the way you do. I'm not calling this a debate but it's just good form in a discussion to me.
Olivier Hague wrote:
Kindly don't blame me for your own interpretation of my smiley faces...
They seemed extremely irrelevant and often contradictory to the mood your posts convey, this usually represents sarcasm which in itself is snarky. Just clarifying where I got my interpretation from my friend. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:16 am

NeptuneKai wrote:No you're not a random person, you're the man I'm talking to right now, who I'm actively engaging in a conversation with right now. I sincerely don't care about this other persons opinion because I'm not invested in what he has to say at the moment, I'm interested in what you have to say.
We're both saying the English dub is inferior to the Japanese one. If you find the idea intriguing/surprising/absurd/whatever (and I'm assuming that's what it's all about?), what difference does it make whose explanations you get to read? Why would that guy's explanations be "random" / worthless?
In a debate you don't point to an article in a newspaper and say you agree with a certain person
Why the fuck not? Is that a new rule? ^__^;

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:18 am

Okay it's abundantly clear to me what kind of conversation this is going to be. Any further discussion would be worthless, thank you for your time. This was very enlightening.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:19 am

Well, good thing I'm the snarky one...

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:22 am

Olivier Hague wrote:Well, good thing I'm the snarky one...
I'm very sorry you read my post as snarky. It was not meant to convey that attitude. But let's not derail this thread any further, I'm sure many people are sick of our bantering by now. Once again thank you for your time.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:24 am

NeptuneKai wrote:I'm very sorry you read my post as snarky. It was not meant to convey that attitude.
The hell it wasn't...

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:25 am

Olivier Hague wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:I'm very sorry you read my post as snarky. It was not meant to convey that attitude.
The hell it wasn't...
You know, even if he's lying to save face, the above comment doesn't help.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:26 am

Yeah, sorry about that...

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:29 am

B wrote:
Olivier Hague wrote:
The hell it wasn't...
I'm not sure why you are all hell bent on making that comment out to be sarcastic, if anything it was nothing more then matter of fact. However I shan't add another word to this current tet to tet for the time being just to make everybody jolly again.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:32 am

NeptuneKai wrote:
B wrote:
Olivier Hague wrote: The hell it wasn't...
I'm not sure why you are all hell bent on making that comment out to be sarcastic, if anything it was nothing more then matter of fact. However I shan't add another word to this current tet to tet for the time being just to make everybody jolly again.
Actually, I wasn't. I was making a point that no matter why you wrote what you wrote, the response "the hell it wasn't..." is a bad response.

If your apology is insincere, his remark is not the way to handle it.
If you actually meant what you said, his remark is probably 4.7 times worse.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:39 am

B wrote:If you actually meant what you said
I'm not sure how it could be: he was saying that the conversation was worthless and would remain that way (that was "abundantly clear"), and that it was "very enlightening", "thank you for your time".
How could that not be seen as snarky?

Freeza.exe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza.exe » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:46 am

Olivier Hague wrote:
B wrote:If you actually meant what you said
I'm not sure how it could be: he was saying that the conversation was worthless and would remain that way (that was "abundantly clear"), and that it was "very enlightening", "thank you for your time".
How could that not be seen as snarky?
He said any further discussion would be worthless, not that the conversation as a whole was worthless. Weren't you the one getting pissy when people said you claimed all or most anime was awful when you said many. :roll:

And how the fuck is thanking somebody for their time even relevant as sarcastic whether the conversation was awful or not?
My friend broke my PSP just in time for Naruto Ultimate Ninja 5 to come out....WHOOOO!

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:52 am

NeptuneKai wrote:No you're not a random person, you're the man I'm talking to right now, who I'm actively engaging in a conversation with right now. I sincerely don't care about this other persons opinion because I'm not invested in what he has to say at the moment, I'm interested in what you have to say. That brings me to...
Not to mention someone with 2000 posts that's been active for three and a half years. Olivier's not random at all, he's just being silly.

And I don't know when Neptune started posting again, but I'm glad to see she is.

And yeah, older anime fans are very different from newer ones. Incredibly so.