FUNimation Dragon Box Updates

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

FUNimation Dragon Box Updates

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:47 pm

Needless to say, the moderators and administrators will be keeping a close eye on this thread.

If you do not actually have something to contribute, do not bother posting. If you do not actually care what others have to say in response to you, do not bother posting. If you can't actually converse like a normal person, do not bother posting.

------------------------------

As posted on the home page:

FUNimation's official Twitter stream has just been updated with the following tidbits:
@funimation wrote:The DBox will have Jap voice track w/orgnl Jap music – mono (default track) and Eng track w/orgnl Jap Music in 5.1 surround.

More on the DBox -- The Eng track with TV broadcast music has been removed.
It appears that FUNimation's upcoming "Dragon Box" sets will contain two audio tracks: (1) the original Japanese language track, and (2) the slightly revised English dub with the original Japanese musical score (previously released on the faux-"remastered" season sets).

The previous faux-"remastered" season sets contained three audio tracks: (1) a slightly revised English dub with the original Japanese musical score [stereo], (2) the English dub as broadcast on North American television including its musical score [stereo], and (3) the original Japanese track [mono]. A surround-sound 5.1 track for the broadcast dub had been included on the previously-released and midway-canceled "Ultimate Uncut Edition". With FUNimation's upcoming "Dragon Box" sets bumping the episode count from six on the Japanese releases to seven on their own and even more audio tracks, there had been concerns over compromises to the visual quality of the sets, arguably their most important attribute. For a complete breakdown of these sets and their importance, visit our current "Feature".
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Mystery Person X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mystery Person X » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:56 pm

Finally. I can't believe how long it took them to confirm this rather major detail.

Anyway, nice to know.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:57 pm

Good call, good call. I'm not so worried about the video quality anymore, and let's hope that Japanese Mono track ends up sounding better than it ever has before.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:57 pm

I'm glad for this. I'm glad that video quality and the default audio quality is being taken into consideration and that the audio track least-cared-about to the purists that they're advertising toward is being dropped in order to preserve that quality. My hopes in this release, which were already high, is higher because of this.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:02 pm

Totally called it. I wish I bet on it though...

Even though this is going to cause a huge conflict, it's a good thing, the dub score has been irrelevant ever since they started doing uncut releases, and this is... THE release.

It's great news for us, even though most of us don't watch the dub, but devastating news for the dubbies, I've been a bit of a dick about the dub music, but it's sad to see something so grand be pushed towards purists only, sure their dub is still there, but the music ain't.

Hopefully all this tension can be pushed aside now.
Last edited by The Time Traveller on Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:03 pm

Most definitely welcome news indeed, it looks like they're really going all-out to preserve the quality of the R2 release as much as possible. Only one month to go now before this arrives on our doorsteps.

RogueA007
Not-So-Newbie

Post by RogueA007 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:08 pm

While I can certainly think of some of my friends who may miss the inclusion of the broadcast BGM, I think this was a perfectly reasonable business move by Funimation. More space for that remastered video track. Which is the main reason, in my opinion, to buy these sets.

(Which reminds me....I need to go preorder this before the release date, right? >_>)

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:11 pm

This is really gonna suck for those folks that like the dub music (and even people like me who enjoy both tracks) but if they're truly trying to phase out the Faulconer music then I guess I can live with it. Since it's for the greater good and all...I still have a couple of Orange Bricks for memories/nostalgia sake. *sniff*
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:18 pm

Chrono Trigger wrote:This is really gonna suck for those folks that like the dub music (and even people like me who enjoy both tracks) but if they're truly trying to phase out the Faulconer music then I guess I can live with it. Since it's for the greater good and all...I still have a couple of Orange Bricks for memories/nostalgia sake. *sniff*
All the Faulconer's music backing track (and Shuki Levy's too) was one big mistake, actully the US Dragon Box is like blessing from gods for people who can't understand Japanese and have English as their native or secondary language......

QUESTION: Sorry if it's answered already, but aren't the original Dragon Boxes had an audio track coverted and edited to stereo?
If it was, then we'll get the same audio track as present on Orange Bricks then?
If it's true, it's a pitty then..... but still it's amazing and almost unbelievable for me . (The all US Dragon Box matter)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:18 pm

Those MKVs Mike has spoken about will ever continue to flourish now, not that I condone downloading illegal copies of the episodes.

Anyhow, 'tis a shame there shall be some pain over this, but as fans of the original--and fans of over a decade--I think it's our responsibility for 'us' to not laugh or point fingers at anyone. No jeering for the win! :)
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:20 pm

Would be nice as a dub fan to get the English BMG, but I really couldn't give a donkey's nutsack less. The way I see it, the dub fans got their fair share of DBZ and this is for those who want the Dragon Boxes. It's a miracle enough that they're coming over with subtitles for an affordable price. All the other stuff is icing on the cake.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:24 pm

Well I'll be god damned to hell. I'll either stick with my remastered sets for the later ones or somehow learn to stomach the Buu saga music.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:26 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Well I'll be god damned to hell. I'll either stick with my remastered sets for the later ones or somehow learn to stomach the Buu saga music.
Ack, Vegeta's Boo theme (during his "Number One" speech) is such great music (...it's...like Western Cowboy music...except...better!) I hope you can learn to appreciate it!!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:29 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:Well I'll be god damned to hell. I'll either stick with my remastered sets for the later ones or somehow learn to stomach the Buu saga music.
Ack, Vegeta's Boo theme (during his "Number One" speech) is such great music (...it's...like Western Cowboy music...except...better!) I hope you can learn to appreciate it!!
Considering the fact that the couple of times I've watched the Buu saga w/ Japanese music resulted in me almost falling asleep until I caught myself and switched it to the dub music, I doubt that will happen unless I watch it so many times that I'm just used to hearing it. I don't think some of you guys realize that I'm not going to suddenly like the Japanese score just because it's on the Dragon Box. I already don't like it - what difference will it make if it's the only option available on the Dragon Box?

And it's a shame that I won't watch my two favorite episodes - episodes 185 and 191 - in Dragon Box quality that frequently because the dub music was the best part about those episodes.
Last edited by jjgp1112 on Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:30 pm

As for me, I don't really care if the Dragonbox has the Falconer score, because I have some of the music on my iPod. :P

I did watch some of the Dub w/Japanese Music from my orange bricks, and I liked it. I mean, it was different, but a good different. It's going to be great to see Dragonball Z in a different light with the Japanese music. It's like Funimation is getting more mature with Dragonball Z, like with the Dragonball Season 1 set.

As for watching it with the Falconer music, that's what the orange bricks/single DVD releases are for. 8)
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:33 pm

I prefer the original Japanese music, so this is a good thing for me. :3

Also my worries about video quality have lessened a bit. I still would like to know more about the Funi DBox before deciding to order though.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:38 pm

@funimation wrote:A great deal of thought went into the development of the Dragon Box, folks.

Fans have been wanting what was available in Japan and we wanted a good quality release that was also affordable.
'Nuff said.
deviantART
[thread]

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:43 pm

Quickly chiming in: Yay for no Faulconer/Menza soundtrack on the Dragon Box. That's the way it should be, IMO, I never could tolerate that music.

But wasn't the original Japanese audio from the Japanese Dragon Boxes redone to sound less muddy and more clear?
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:46 pm

Brakus wrote:But wasn't the original Japanese audio from the Japanese Dragon Boxes redone to sound less muddy and more clear?
Indeed it was. It was still in Mono, but sounded so good you could almost swear it was in stereo sometimes. Here's hoping FUNimation's version ends up sounding even half as good.
deviantART
[thread]

RogueA007
Not-So-Newbie

Post by RogueA007 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:49 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
@funimation wrote:A great deal of thought went into the development of the Dragon Box, folks.

Fans have been wanting what was available in Japan and we wanted a good quality release that was also affordable.
'Nuff said.
Amen to that.

I'm just grateful that the Dragon Boxes are coming in a slightly more affordable format, PERIOD. Before this I was about to start the long process of importing singles and buying a multi-region player, which would have been hell on my poor college student wallet thanks to Japanese DVDs being higher priced on average+shipping from Japan.