DBGT Dragon Box

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Milton
Patreon Supporter

DBGT Dragon Box

Post by Milton » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:25 am

http://www.estoys.co.jp/tmm/10/10_04_42_00.html

Coming out May 25th, 2005 at a price of 52,500 yen. 11 discs plus a bonus one...I guess that's the TV special?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:32 am

Interesting.
I'm surprised they didnt do movie box before GT box.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: DBGT Dragon Box

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:40 am

Milton wrote:2,500 yen. 11 discs plus a bonus one...I guess that's the TV special?
Well... it's actually more on the order of ¥52,500 (or about $509 US, in this declining-dollar economy of ours). ¥2,500 is only about $24.25. :P But yeah, the last disc is specifically stated as the TV Special.

By the way, the official site's here:
http://www.jumpland.com/dragonbox_gt/
The set also comes with the 4th (and last) "Dragonbook" booklet, and a life-size Dragon Radar remote control. :shock:

In terms of other features, it's what we've come to expect: discs contained in a (newly-illustrated) deluxe box, with fancy "picture labels" (I still can't believe they're using that as a selling point, but whatever), and the usual "digital remastering." (I guess I should note that, judging by the previous Dragon Boxes, this "remastering" process seems to clear up the audio a tad, stabilize the picture, and cut down on dust and other artifacts, though it's still far from "perfect." It's probably the best it'll ever look / sound, though, so don't knock it too much.) The usual textless openings and endings (as well as commercials and other odds and ends) will most likely appear on the last disc along with the TV Special, as well.

Preorders start on Monday, February 28th, with the set going on sale on Wednesday, May 25th. Gentlemen (and ladies), ready your credit cards...

Lastly, there will probably be a GT anime guide from Shueisha (in the same vein as Tenka-ichi Densetsu and Son Gokuu Densetsu) in the next few months, although I haven't seen any information about it yet. I'll keep everyone posted.

And by the way, Mike-- do you mind if I update the main page this afternoon? :)
Last edited by SaiyaJedi on Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:46 am

A Dragon Radar Remote Control!!! Dude, thats awesome!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:40 am

Wonder how the design will be at this one~
/me really wants a new DB oav series or TV series!...

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:44 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:And by the way, Mike-- do you mind if I update the main page this afternoon? :)
Umm.... I insist upon it, douchehead :P
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:05 pm

This seemed inevitable, I will be interested on seeing the extras on this one!

Milton
Patreon Supporter

Post by Milton » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:41 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:
Milton wrote:2,500 yen. 11 discs plus a bonus one...I guess that's the TV special?
Well... it's actually more on the order of ¥52,500 (or about $509 US, in this declining-dollar economy of ours). ¥2,500 is only about $24.25. :P
Actually, I did have it as 52,500 yen...but I wouldn't complain if it was really 2,500 yen. :twisted:
SaiyaJedi wrote:By the way, the official site's here:
The set also comes with the 4th (and last) "Dragonbook" booklet, and a life-size Dragon Radar remote control. :shock:
THAT'S the special item?? Holy poop on a stick...I've always wanted a Dragon Radar! This is tempting now...

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:20 pm

Milton wrote:
SaiyaJedi wrote:
Well... it's actually more on the order of ¥52,500 (or about $509 US, in this declining-dollar economy of ours). ¥2,500 is only about $24.25. :P
Actually, I did have it as 52,500 yen...but I wouldn't complain if it was really 2,500 yen. :twisted:
Oops... guess I just wasn't careful enough in quote-snipping. Heh. :?

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:27 pm

500 for 64 eps? ripoff :lol:

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:06 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:500 for 64 eps? ripoff :lol:
Well, yeah... but if you're collecting the series, it's still a better deal than the domestic release. Given that the retail price is about $25 a pop, multiply that by 21 volumes (all series volumes plus the TV Special), and you've got $525 right there. And that's a no-frills release.

So yeah, it's still a ripoff, but it's less of a ripoff than the one we currently have. :?

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:51 pm

Damn. You know how hard it would be to find each of the Dragon Boxes complete and in mint condition when I'll actually be able to afford them?
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:14 am

Um, actually aside from the TV special I think the MSRP on the GT discs is $18 each.

EDIT: Actually I think that just might be the current release arc of "skipped" episodes, god my memory is fuzzy.

EDIT2: Yep it is, still thats $35 to shave off of that total.

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:01 am

Well, yeah... but if you're collecting the series, it's still a better deal than the domestic release. Given that the retail price is about $25 a pop, multiply that by 21 volumes (all series volumes plus the TV Special), and you've got $525 right there. And that's a no-frills release.
Or C. Download em or get boots ^o^

The most compelling thing that has to offer is again the booklet since it will offer more ammo for battling the GT Hatred Movement.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:26 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:
omae no kaasan wrote:500 for 64 eps? ripoff :lol:

So yeah, it's still a ripoff, but it's less of a ripoff than the one we currently have. :?
Most of those discs sell for $16.99 in my area...

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:31 am

Hmm, actually, FUNi's first fifteen volumes and the uncut version of the TV special are $25 each MSRP, but the five "Lost Episodes" volumes are $20 each.

(25*16) + (5*20) = $500

So it's pretty much the same either way, ignoring any discounts.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:17 pm

Well, since I'm pretty damn disgusted with FUNi's amateur DVD authoring to this day ('Bojack Unbound' proved they still don't have a QC person on these releases, it would seem), I'd go for these, but I'm not sure I will.

GT...SSJ4 Goku...Vejita as biker trash...hm...ah well, I may just grab it for the sake of having a complete collection.

Now where's my damned movies?

-Corey

Rainking187

Post by Rainking187 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:33 pm

So how is that going to work? If it is a TV/DVD remote, isn't it useless without a DVD player? Will it be like a universal remote or something? And would it only work on R2 DVD players?

admin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by admin » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:53 pm

TripleRach wrote:Hmm, actually, FUNi's first fifteen volumes and the uncut version of the TV special are $25 each MSRP, but the five "Lost Episodes" volumes are $20 each.

(25*16) + (5*20) = $500

So it's pretty much the same either way, ignoring any discounts.
True. Just makes it a lot eaiser and nicer to look at to buy one big collection with some extras.
[size=200][b][color=red]TKE[/color] [color=gray]4[/color] [color=red]LIFE[/color][/size][/b]

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:59 pm

Rainking187 wrote:
So how is that going to work? If it is a TV/DVD remote, isn't it useless without a DVD player? Will it be like a universal remote or something? And would it only work on R2 DVD players?
The entire boxset is useless unless you've got a Region 2 compatible DVD player, so I think the answer to that can be quickly found.
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.