Mike's Upcoming JPNS Toy Releases Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mike
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Mike's Upcoming JPNS Toy Releases Thread

Post by Mike » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:35 pm

Hey guys,

There are so many amazing Dragon Ball toys currently being released in Japan. The releases are so frequent though, that it is often hard to keep track of them all. I know a lot of people here have expressed interest in the past for some kind of current toy release thread so I thought I'd go ahead and start one. This is not all encompassing but I will try to continuously add all newly planned releases I come across.

Bandai HG 23 Gashapon

Bandai's gone back to focus on the earlier sagas, following closely along with DragonBall Kai. We get some great figures not seen before in the HG line like Gohan and Krillin in armor and Nail. We even get a Vegeta in his late Namek armor. There are barely any figures of Vegeta in this armor. They're also continuing their gold variants with a teen SS Gohan.

Bandai HG EX Trading Figures

This series just came out and is a bit of an anomaly in terms of Bandai's HG series. Instead of being released in the gashapon machines these are sold as trading figures in boxes. All but 3 figures are merely rereleases but they each have new paint decos. The figures come 2 to a box except for the 3 large size ones. Broly and Cooler's two henchmen are special large size figure made to be in scale with the other HG gashapon. Bandai also continues their gold and bronze variants with SS Trunks, SS Gogeta, Gotenks and Trunks. The only odd thing is the absence of Goten here...

Bandai Real Works Series 8

Bandai's has also taken their Real Works line back to the earlier DBZ sagas and is giving us many great Saiyan Arc characters. We get a great Kaioken painted Goku which may or may not be a variant, Tullece, who almost never gets any figures, and even a kid Gohan and Saiabaman 2 pack. The good news is that many of these figures should be close enough to fit in scale wise with Irwin and Jakks releases as well.

Bandai Soul of Hyper Figuration 12

Again back to the Namek arc with a bunch of great figures. We have the entire Ginyu Force in different poses from their last release and the hilaroius Ginyu-Frog and Frog-Ginyu. We also get a great new Vegeta and Goku. You can actually see the senzu bean bag over on Goku's waistband. The only problem with these is that it looks like they come with different bases. They each have a rocky ground base as opposed to the black bases with the characters name on it as all other Soul releases have had. This might make them look weird on a shelf with the others and takes away from the uniform look.

Well there you have it. I'm sure there's a ton more stuff currently slated for release but for now I'll leave you with what I consider to be the "main" lines from Bandai. I'll continue to update this thread every time I come across something new, so stay tuned for more! In additon feel free to post any new releases you come across as well.

As always, feel free to ask me any questions you may have or drop by either the archive or forum on www.dragonballtoys.com.

-Mike

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:41 pm

I know this isn't part of a DB specific line, but I've seen that there's gonna be an SH Figuarts Piccolo. Has there been any word about more characters in that line?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:44 pm

Nice thread.

Huh, there's a picture of a Sauzer figure to go along with the other two in that pamphlet thing showing all the figures, but they don't show him anywhere else.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:52 pm

That Super Saiyan Goku one in the first picture is pretty sweet looking.

This seems like as good a time as any to show this MG Goku model kit. As a model maker myself, I think it's kind of cool.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:54 pm

Those real works ones are bomb!
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Mike
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mike » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:58 pm

Herms wrote:Nice thread.

Huh, there's a picture of a Sauzer figure to go along with the other two in that pamphlet thing showing all the figures, but they don't show him anywhere else.
That Sauzer figure is from the previously released HG series 21.

Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:I know this isn't part of a DB specific line, but I've seen that there's gonna be an SH Figuarts Piccolo. Has there been any word about more characters in that line?
Yes, they recently announced a Super Saiyan Goku figure. You can see it here.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:01 pm

Mike wrote:That Sauzer figure is from the previously released HG series 21.
Ah OK, thanks. (Wow, look at Trunks' hair in that HG 21 figure!)
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:12 am

I like that Bandai Soul of Hyper Figuration 12, but Goku is pretty weird there
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Mike
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mike » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:53 am

Banpresto High Spec Coloring Figures

HSCF Series 10

Following closely along with DragonBall Kai we get Goku along with Raditz, Nappa and Saiyan arc Vegeta. These may be the very best sculpts of Saiyan arc Vegeta, Nappa and Raditz ever made. These figures are close to being in scale with Irwin and Jakks releases so you might be able to mix them in as well. These figures are not articulated however.

HSCF Series 11

Again we have an amazing painted Kaioken Goku, Saiyan arc Yamcha, and two very nicely scaled Krillin and kid Gohan figures. There are almost no figures of Yamcha in this look so that's definitely a plus. Yamcha's blue undershirt might irk some collectors though, as he doesn't often wear one.

HSCF Series 12

Next is the Freeza arc, with simply amazing versions of Freeza and his 3 main henchmen. There aren't many larger scale figures of Zarbon, Dodoria and Kui so these are definitely welcome additions. The sculpts on these are also unbelievable.

HSCF Series 13

Another series with great character selection. Tenshinhan, Chiaotzu, and late Namek armor Vegeta. Tien and Chiaotzu rarely get figures and aside from the Jakks Vegeta, I believe this is the only other large scale late Namek armor Vegeta. Vegeta's jumpsuit should really be a darker blue so hopefully that is corrected before release. The evil Goku is also sort of a lazy release but is accurate nonetheless.

Overall, it is extremely refreshing to see the High Spec Coloring Figures series expand beyond Saiyans and Super Saiyans. Lots of great figures to look forward to here.

-Mike

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:41 pm

:shock: where can I get these? I want them all!!!!!
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:31 pm

The #11 kaioken and the 'Trading' series Broly look amazing.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:02 pm

Man all of these look really impressive. It seems like a lot more effort is being put into making well done Dragonball figures these days.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Mike
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mike » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:44 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote::shock: where can I get these? I want them all!!!!!
Two generally great places to buy import DragonBall toys are Hobby Link Japan and angolz.com. Ebay can also be a great resource but you must be EXTREMELY cautious and wary of bootlegs. About 90% of import Dragonball items on ebay are bootlegs. You should be especially careful if you are buying from Hong Kong or China in general. Often you will see auctions with extremely low prices and relatively good looking bootlegs as well. They have gotten extremely good at making bootlegs so that it is hard to tell them from the real products.

For example:

This is an image of the authentic High Spec Coloring Figures Series 5 by Banpresto.

Now this is an image of the bootleg version of those figures. I found this within 30 seconds of searching on ebay and sure enough the seller is located in China and had an opening bid of $0.99.

-Mike

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:33 pm

You can definitely tell the bootlegs from the real ones, especially with comparing the Gokus.

I wish the U.S. got nice releases like those, aside from the Claw Machine games toys.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:50 pm

Yeah and the shading is not well done, but it's true that these bootlegs are best bootlegs of figures I ever saw......
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:09 am

Mike wrote:
SparkyPantsMcGee wrote::shock: where can I get these? I want them all!!!!!
Two generally great places to buy import DragonBall toys are Hobby Link Japan and angolz.com. Ebay can also be a great resource but you must be EXTREMELY cautious and wary of bootlegs. About 90% of import Dragonball items on ebay are bootlegs. You should be especially careful if you are buying from Hong Kong or China in general. Often you will see auctions with extremely low prices and relatively good looking bootlegs as well. They have gotten extremely good at making bootlegs so that it is hard to tell them from the real products.

For example:

This is an image of the authentic High Spec Coloring Figures Series 5 by Banpresto.

*snip*

Now this is an image of the bootleg version of those figures. I found this within 30 seconds of searching on ebay and sure enough the seller is located in China and had an opening bid of $0.99.

*snip*

-Mike
Thanks for the help and the heads up! :D
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:11 am

Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:I know this isn't part of a DB specific line, but I've seen that there's gonna be an SH Figuarts Piccolo. Has there been any word about more characters in that line?
Not yet, but I hope we get more out of it, the Piccolo already looks amazingly put together.

EDIT: Spoke too soon! They're doing a Super Saiyan Goku next it appears, and it looks AWESOME!

I'm going to have to buy all of these...

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:55 am

The Time Traveller wrote:
Not yet, but I hope we get more out of it, the Piccolo already looks amazingly put together.

EDIT: Spoke too soon! They're doing a Super Saiyan Goku next it appears, and it looks AWESOME!

I'm going to have to buy all of these...

Do want! :shock:
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Mike's Upcoming JPNS Toy Releases Thread

Post by Velasa » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:09 pm

Mike wrote:Image
I seriously just squealed out loud when I saw this o_o I have exactly one figure of Neru, and he came used with no antennae and his legs had dog chewmarks on them, and his mouth is frozen in this ridiculous shouting pose so ooooh my god this makes me happy. Do want.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Oldphan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Oldphan » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:39 pm

*High Fives Mike* Mike here is one of our editors over at DragonballToys.com! Great work Mike! :wink:

I'm praying that these new HSCF get released in America in those crane game machines, since thats what they've been doing with the older ones in the series. I'm astonished that this series has taken the turn that it has, and moved on to include so many other characters - it was not expected at all, but hugely appreciated! These figures are gorgeous.

All the best,
Oldphan
http://www.youtube.com/DragonballToys
http://www.youtube.com/Foreverwolffilms
www.Oldphan.com
*Ex-Senior Editor of http://www.dragonballtoys.com