To You, What's The Best Saga In The Anime Version Of Z?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

To You, What's The Best Saga In The Anime Version Of Z?

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:40 pm

While my favorite sagas will always be the events that took place on Namek, the best saga after that would be everything involving Boo, starting at the Tenkaichi Budokai, when Gohan-San is revealed to be Saiyaman.
The reasoning behind my choice being the Boo arc in the anime, is that basically at the start of it all, just as everyone thinks that everything's okay and the universe is safe, there were things happening behind the scenes that the Z-fighters weren't even aware of. Watching some episodes both yesterday and today, I realized that before everything was revealed about Kaioshin, Kibit, Spopovitch and Yamu, the saga began by managing to keep you guessing. That throughout everything Goku and company had gone through by that point, they had no clue that there even existed a higher being in the form of Kaioshin. Add on the fact that no one was aware of Babidi and Dabra's existence, you have a series of events that at first played with your head, but later on became very, very clear. There were also a lot of twists and turns because of the involvment of all the preceeding Boos. I'd say that the only flaw would be Gohan being hyped up for so long to defeat Boo, only to be absorbed in the end. Even with that said, you get the sense that Toriyama most likely knew this was his last chapter regarding the DragonBall mythos, and he probably felt that he had to make this the best and most interesting arc he possibly could.
Well, that's my reasoning behind why I chose the entire Boo arc.
What's your favorite saga in the anime version of Z, and why?
Last edited by Ultimate_DB_Fan on Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:00 pm

I choose the Buu arc because of two reasons:
1) That one new art team they bring in that I found to be phenomenal. Studio Cockpit I think? (I could be wrong). The ones that did episode #274 among others.
2) The fillers (Goku and Vegeta's extended visit inside Buu, extra Saiyaman adventures, more Vejitto, more Majin Vegeta, etc.)

I can't discount "those three years" fillers though, as that's where the "Goku and Piccolo learn how to drive" episode is. I wish we'd had more filler like that...
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:06 pm

Chuquita wrote:I choose the Buu arc because of two reasons:
1) That one new art team they bring in that I found to be phenomenal. Studio Cockpit I think? (I could be wrong). The ones that did episode #274 among others.
2) The fillers (Goku and Vegeta's extended visit inside Buu, extra Saiyaman adventures, more Vejitto, more Majin Vegeta, etc.)

I can't discount "those three years" fillers though, as that's where the "Goku and Piccolo learn how to drive" episode is. I wish we'd had more filler like that...
What was it that grabbed you about the art, in those episodes?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:08 pm

I think either the Cell or Buu saga for me.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:24 pm

Ultimate_DB_Fan wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I choose the Buu arc because of two reasons:

What was it that grabbed you about the art, in those episodes?
For episodes like #274, its the expressiveness the characters display in their faces and the smoother body movements. I'd have liked to have seen how they would have pulled off a db movie if given the budget.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:06 pm

Has to be the Jinzonengen arc mostly because of nostalgia.

A few years ago, I decided to buy the Android saga, Imperfect Cell saga, and Perfect Cell saga box sets along with the Cell Games singles. Imperfect and Perfect Cell, and Cell Games were bought off of Overstock, and because I was a dumb-ass, I bought Android from Suncoast, at full price. :evil: So I watched them all, and it was the first ever arc I had seen all the way through. I am very glad to own these sets. 8)
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:02 am

Probably the Cell saga, since it had some of the best moments.

-Gohan's explosion of fury.
-Goku's farewell, which was beautiful, seeing him standing there smiling knowing he was about to die. A moment that sums up the character for me.
-Vegeta first being shown to care for someone other than himself.
-And since it's in the anime, I'll also add the sense of desperation during the Kamehame-Ha struggle, with all the characters giving their everything knowing that it didn't even matter.

Although it was slightly weighed down by the much too constant shots of Mr Satan and company in awe.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:12 am

The Cell Saga, especially the Cell Games.

It was already my favorite part in the manga, but the TV series version is almost perfect (it loses a few points for some of the filler). The music is especially noteworthy. That moment where Gohan first transforms into a SSJ2 is one of the greatest moments in anime.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:07 am

This is a tough one... I gut says Freeza saga but my heart says Buu. If I had to choose between the two it would the Buu saga, why? Vegeta's mid-life crisis. Rob Bricken at Topless Robot explained it best.
Topless Robot wrote:Vegeta not only talks about the despair of trying so hard to catch up to Goku and constantly failing for his entire life. Furthermore, he talks about waking up one day and realizing how he's gone from the brutal, youthful prince of the Saiyans to a simple family man, a transformation which bewilders and terrifies him. It really is a mid-life crisis, and Vegeta's return to evil is just as desperate and pathetic as any middle-aged man buying a sports car.

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:45 am

For the anime?

I would have to say Buu saga. Often times during this arc the anime's art quality exceeded the original manga, which was beginning to look rather rushed (and occasionally flat-out shitty). They also added a lot of filler which actually ADDED to the experience for a change. There were many "missed opportunities" in the original chapters during the Buu stuff, and the anime always capitalized on those opportunities. Overall, they took easily the worst arc of the manga and made it significantly more bearable. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of better moments throughout the series, but for the anime itself, this is where they were at their best.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:37 pm

Got to be honest: I haven't seen most of the anime since I hate most filler. I did, however, enjoy a lot of the Saiyan Saga's filler, so I'll say that arc.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

ssjcj
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjcj » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:50 pm

It would have to be the Cell arc, the canon material is the best in the series and of course Gohan's SSJ 2 transformation was so well done in the anime.

And I would also say the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai arc is another favourite. This is not only for the actual canon material of the arc but also the filler before that is, in my opinion, the best filler in the series.
Last edited by ssjcj on Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:53 pm

Garlic Jr. is definitely the best arc. You guys just cant see the brilliance of it.
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:38 pm

I like the Saiyan arc the best. The "bad animation" episodes weren't really bad and the good stuff was really good! Plus, while there is a lot of filler (like any other part of DBZ), most of it takes place as throw-away episodes that I can skip to get to the important parts. In other arcs, I find that the filler is more about stretching out canon stuff than entire filler episodes that I can just skip over if I don't feel like watching them.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:22 pm

My Favorite saga? Well, truth be told, my favorite of the entire Meta-series would have to be the original arc, the Pilaf saga. Though it definitely wasn't my introduction to the series, it is perhaps the most shining example of Toriyama-ness in the entire story. The whole thing just reeks of our favoite manga-ka's signature bizarro humor. Pilaf being present from near the beginning in the anime was a plus too.

For the Z portion of the show, I'm going with the majority and calling it the Buu saga. Though far from the best in the original manga(That title belongs to the magnificent Saiya-jin/Freeza arc), it was presented with perhaps the most enthusiasm by the anime staff. Plus, after about 10 years, they finally got it right with the filler!
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:17 pm

I really enjoyed Buu saga and it was my introduction to the series, but nowadays, it's Saiyan saga.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

AndoKomando

Post by AndoKomando » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:54 pm

My favorite was Freeza. For quite a few reasons. I love the fighting, the art of it was fantastic, the characters didnt look retarded like how they did post-Freeza. Also how could anyone hate the one part of the Freeza saga that made it worth while the transformation of the super saiyan.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:02 pm

AndoKomando wrote:My favorite was Freeza. the art of it was fantastic
What show were you watching? The Freeza Saga has the shittiest art in the whole series.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:23 am

Rocketman wrote:
AndoKomando wrote:My favorite was Freeza. the art of it was fantastic
What show were you watching? The Freeza Saga has the shittiest art in the whole series.
Agreed!
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:51 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Tue May 03, 2011 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.