FUNimation Dragon Box Z #1 (In-Hands) Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:49 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
ShinRogafuken wrote:Is the audio in the Dragon Box better than the Remastered Set Japanese option?
Yes.

Very yes.
Well if its a lot (and not a little) better than the Remastered, whether it still be not the best, as long as it doesn't actually bother my experience of watching it, I think all is perfect then.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:01 pm

ultimateemail5000 wrote:I am not bashing this set. But were the opening and theme songs meant to be in widescreen? I notice on Funi's Orange brick sets durring Zenkai Power, when everybody runs in a group, Yajirobe is at the very end of the group. In the DBOX the group cuts off at Launch. Does anybody know anything about that?
Whoa, anyone have any news/screens on this?
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

email2003
Beyond Newbie

Post by email2003 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:11 pm

AhhhhhH!!!! I got nothing in the mail today!!! Damn I hate my postal service, it's crap!

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Post by KillerCory » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:12 pm

Big Momma wrote:
ultimateemail5000 wrote:I am not bashing this set. But were the opening and theme songs meant to be in widescreen? I notice on Funi's Orange brick sets durring Zenkai Power, when everybody runs in a group, Yajirobe is at the very end of the group. In the DBOX the group cuts off at Launch. Does anybody know anything about that?
Whoa, anyone have any news/screens on this?
This is really old news.

< I think >

The widescreen did show some "extra" stuff on the sides.

I think it is normal that it cuts off at Lunch in the 4:3 aspect.
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:15 pm

Working on updating my drivers to take better caps but, yeah, they did add about 5% or so on the left and right sides of the remastered sets, but to compensate, they cut off 20% of the top and bottom. We lost Yajirobe, but he wasn't show in the original broadcasts anyhow. Their composition for that shot was probably made with overscan in mind or not knowing how those animated sections were going to be presented on screen.
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:23 pm

I am logging in for the first time in 6 months to say that this is the greatest thing I have ever seen and I now fully approve of FUNImation despite all things. And my pants just got smaller.

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:28 pm

Duo wrote:I am logging in for the first time in 6 months to say that this is the greatest thing I have ever seen and I now fully approve of FUNImation despite all things. And my pants just got tighter.
Fixed that for ya.

You know, it kinda makes me wonder...do you think we'd enjoy this half as much if this is how we had gotten it back during Dragon Ball Z's first domestic release? Yeah, I know the Dragon Boxes didn't come out until 2003ish, but if it were of this caliber, would we care as much?

I kinda feel like FUNi really was trying with all they could for all those years and now they have really put out the best product possible. Like its a treat for holding out all this time...
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:31 pm

Haseowolf wrote:
Duo wrote:I am logging in for the first time in 6 months to say that this is the greatest thing I have ever seen and I now fully approve of FUNImation despite all things. And my pants just got tighter.
Fixed that for ya.

You know, it kinda makes me wonder...do you think we'd enjoy this half as much if this is how we had gotten it back during Dragon Ball Z's first domestic release? Yeah, I know the Dragon Boxes didn't come out until 2003ish, but if it were of this caliber, would we care as much?

I kinda feel like FUNi really was trying with all they could for all those years and now they have really put out the best product possible. Like its a treat for holding out all this time...
They probably just got sick and tired of all their hate mail over DBZ releases.

Just messing (I hope).

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:12 pm

This release sounds awesome.
Too bad it's going for $80 :(

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:15 pm

Eclipse wrote:This release sounds awesome.
I'll try and see if I can touch base with my friend who works at Best Buy, but I seriously doubt it's gonna hit shelves with that price. I'm thinking more $49.95-54.95 on release day.

-Corey

FuniYamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by FuniYamcha » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:25 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Eclipse wrote:This release sounds awesome.
I'll try and see if I can touch base with my friend who works at Best Buy, but I seriously doubt it's gonna hit shelves with that price. I'm thinking more $49.95-54.95 on release day.

-Corey
Well, Eclipse lives in Canada so I guess that's where the higher price estimate comes from.
Not a problem.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:29 pm

FuniYamcha wrote: Well, Eclipse lives in Canada so I guess that's where the higher price estimate comes from.
Even then, that seems high. Amazon's Canadian site(for example) has it for less than CDN $80.

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:42 pm

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this. With a credit I have and street date delivery guaranteed, it came to $41 on Amazon.

...and that's all I'm at liberty to say, I believe ;)

-Corey

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:14 pm

The only complaint I have with the set is the overlapping disc trays, but I can solve that issue by keeping the discs in a DVD wallet. I am certainly eagerly awaiting this release.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:18 pm

So long as it isn't as bad as those damnedable steelbooks, the overlapping isn't too big a minus for this one.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:19 pm

hunterxhunter21 wrote:Mine just got here. Just thought I would throw up some pics.

images
Damn. The Dbox looks like a space hog.

I literally have no room for new dvds anymore and I still want the Dbox to get priority of my shelf.

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:32 pm

Castor Troy wrote:Damn. The Dbox looks like a space hog.
FUNi's version is nothing, you should see the original Japanese boxes. Those hog up shelf space.

-Corey

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:35 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
FUNi's version is nothing, you should see the original Japanese boxes. Those hog up shelf space.

-Corey
We demand side-by-sides, now.

Oh man, do I want a DBox now...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:35 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:

-Corey
Corey, when you get your Funi Dragon Box, it would be a good laugh to see a pic of it next to the two Z Toei Dragon Boxes. :P

Or anyone who gets this, and has the originals as well. :wink:
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:35 pm

WARNING, WARNING: INCOMING PICTURES!

Click thumbnails for massive, needlessly large resolutions!

Here is the 'Box itself. Note it the plastic seal. Let ooh-ing and ahh-ing commence.

Now, time to open it..... But wait, what is this .... ?

Even the cat loves Dragon Box Z??!

Moving on.... *Ahem*

The seal is slowly and carefully removed....

Oh, hey, what's this... ? A heart-felt note to the fans on the back. Ignore the unsightly intrusion of my leg hair.

Removing the contents from the box..... Here's the spine image we've all seen, but now in its' naked form!!

Ah, so that is how it works.....!

Stripped to the bone, my discs bare all...

That's it for now. Anything else.... ?