FUNimation Dragon Box Z #1 (In-Hands) Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:29 am

Shame I won't be getting mine for about a month, ordered from Amazon and I'm in Australia. :P It definitely seems like it's worth getting, even though it will be my 3rd time owning the episodes, I will be able to feel like I'm watching the series as intended this time.

Oh well, couldn't have afforded it this week anyway.

The GT set looks pretty nice. I wonder if Funi plans on doing one of them some day? Don't know if I'd bother with it though... the Funi Singles already have next episode titles, and the picture quality is as good for GT as I need.
Last edited by Kingdom Heartless on Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:36 am

I truly hope this release (assuming it's all that it seems to be cracked up to be, I can't help but wait until I get it myself to give it full praise) breaks some sales records for FUNi, giving them positive reinforcement for doing a proper release.

-Corey

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:37 am

Well, Eclipse lives in Canada so I guess that's where the higher price estimate comes from.
Nah, I got that from the first reports about the DragonBox. The prices here for the Orange Boxes are about the same as in America.

If it's cheaper, that's even better.

piccolo-san785
Beyond Newbie

Post by piccolo-san785 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:40 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:I truly hope this release (assuming it's all that it seems to be cracked up to be, I can't help but wait until I get it myself to give it full praise) breaks some sales records for FUNi, giving them positive reinforcement for doing a proper release.

-Corey
I just hope it leads to a DB dbox and a DBGT dbox

TheSonofKakarrot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TheSonofKakarrot » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:42 am

Kendamu wrote:
TheSonofKakarrot wrote:Question: If I order these from rightstuf right now as we speak, will I get them before the release date like most people in this thread? I want to obtain these now if possible but if I order online and will just have to wait until the 17th or whatever for it to ship i'd rather just wait to go in store and pick it up
A couple pages back I commented on this. I switched my order to RightStuf a few hours ago to see if it would ship within the next couple of days. I'll post the results in this thread.
Keep me updated

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:59 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:I truly hope this release (assuming it's all that it seems to be cracked up to be, I can't help but wait until I get it myself to give it full praise) breaks some sales records for FUNi, giving them positive reinforcement for doing a proper release.

-Corey
I'm actually worried that the opposite is going to happen. As great as this set is for us hardcore fans, how many of us are really left? Whatever the number, it has to pale in comparison to the casual Joe who picked up the season sets and has no clue what a dragon box is, other than the fact that it is more expensive.

I guess I'm just worried that funimation may cancel these boxes before finishing them. Yeah, I mean, all of daizex and kanzentai will pick it up in a second, but will this really push any significant numbers so close to the previous season release?

I have to commend funi for taking this risk. They are finally showing that they do believe we hardcore dbz fans are important. Still, I have concerns as to how much they anticipate to sell versus how much will actually be sold.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:01 am

Dragonball continues to print money even to this day. With all the other Dragonball products that's causing FUNi to hire guys to literally rake in the money and with their business sense, I'm sure they can afford to release the Dragon Boxes.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:18 am

Also considering all the money they spent on obtaining the Dragon Box masters, it would be a waste of money NOT to release them. The worst case scenario, I think, is that they will complete the Z Dragon Boxes, but due to lack of interest and revenue gained, decide not to move forward and give us Dragon Ball and GT Dragon Boxes.
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:52 am

They best not leave us hanging, I'd like a perfect DB and GT release too...

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:54 am

Even if that happens, then at least the GT and DB Season Sets are pretty good products.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:55 am

The Time Traveller wrote:They best not leave us hanging, I'd like a perfect DB and GT release too...
This is why every single person that has bitched about the prior releases needs to go out and support the American Dragon Boxes. Hell, I own both DBZ Japanese Boxes but I'm buying these to show my gratitude and support.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:00 am

Hell, I own both DBZ Japanese Boxes but I'm buying these to show my gratitude and support.
Now THAT"S dedication!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:04 am

I know, everyone buy two copies: one to actually watch, and one to just keep in mint condition forever. And then buy a third to use as a doorstop or something.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:07 am

I know, everyone buy two copies: one to actually watch, and one to just keep in mint condition forever. And then buy a third to use as a doorstop or something.
Heck, I'm going to open this in a way that I can put it back in it's shrink wrapping after each viewing. :P

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:07 am

Herms wrote:
Christmas presents, anyone? Get one for your dad, they make great paperweights!

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:12 am

Or, if you plan on building a house, they make great building supplies!

The first ever Dragon Box House!

piccolo-san785
Beyond Newbie

Post by piccolo-san785 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:13 am

Regarding the extra features since we didn't get any. In the Japanese sets were the extras on their own separate dvd? or were they included in each dvd?

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:14 am

piccolo-san785 wrote:Regarding the extra features since we didn't get any. In the Japanese sets were the extras on their own separate dvd? or were they included in each dvd?
They had Special Features discs. I'm only going off the Z boxes, but I assume the others would follow the same uniform format...

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:14 am

Christ, can we cut the Chicken Little crap? It hasn't even officially been released yet, and the sky is already falling? Chill dudes.

Anyway, the packaging is exquisite, and after watching the first two episodes I'm very pleased with how the video looks, and I don't have any problems with the audio at all. This is by far the best R1 anime release I've ever owned. It took Funimation long enough to get it right, but at least they did eventually get it right. Kudos.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:16 am

Buy dozens and build a fort out of them! Use them as Jinga blocks and make a huge tower! Hand them out to your friends! Hand them out to your enemies! Pave a road with them! Buy them where you work or bank!
snaku wrote:Christ, can we cut the Chicken Little crap? It hasn't even officially been released yet, and the sky is already falling? Chill dudes.
Huh?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.