FUNimation Dragon Box Z #1 (In-Hands) Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:25 pm

0_0;

Yeah, the DragonBox version definitely sounds a lot less muffled. Glad to know I won't have to turn the volume way up when I want to watch DBZ, now.
[quote="Kunzait_83, on FUNimation's dub of [i]Dragon Ball Z[/i]"]"ACTION!!! EXTREME!!! AMERICAN!!!! PUNCHES TO THE HEAD!!! FUCK YEAH!!!"[/quote]
On [url=http://twitter.com/joey_blanton]my Twitter[/url], postin' some mad tweets.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:34 pm

Whoa, checking out how much it's going to cost me to import this to Australia... I'm paying the same as I did for the first season set!

A vastly superior release with more episodes getting shipped to another country for the same price as the season set!

That's freaking sweet!
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:37 pm

How do the super intense fight scenes look? Any visible pixelation?

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:38 pm

Just out of curiosity, how many people tune into the podcast regularly? Is there a way to track those numbers? Surely, this group must represent the "hardcore" fanbase that funi is looking toward.

I just really hope I'm wrong about the small userbase, and that there are tens of thousands of unnamed fanatics out there who have kept up to date with releases and are ready to buy this.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:40 pm

Smooth Criminal wrote:Just out of curiosity, how many people tune into the podcast regularly? Is there a way to track those numbers? Surely, this group must represent the "hardcore" fanbase that funi is looking toward.

I just really hope I'm wrong about the small userbase, and that there are tens of thousands of unnamed fanatics out there who have kept up to date with releases and are ready to buy this.
Are you just curious about how well it'll sell, or are you still afraid the release might still get canceled?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:47 pm

Smooth Criminal wrote:Just out of curiosity, how many people tune into the podcast regularly? Is there a way to track those numbers? Surely, this group must represent the "hardcore" fanbase that funi is looking toward.
There are approximately three people that download the podcast each week. I am one of them.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Post by KillerCory » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:49 pm

Castor Troy wrote:How do the super intense fight scenes look? Any visible pixelation?
Looks good, couldn't see any pixelation.
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:49 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
There are approximately three people that download the podcast each week. I am one of them.
I knew it! I knew I was one of the only ones to download it, but who is the third...?
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."

hunterxhunter21
Beyond Newbie

Post by hunterxhunter21 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:53 pm

I'm half a download, if that can some how work?
Smooth Criminal wrote:I just really hope I'm wrong about the small userbase, and that there are tens of thousands of unnamed fanatics out there who have kept up to date with releases and are ready to buy this.
Someone said a few pages back that it was moving up in the amazon numbers.
Dragon Ball Famicon/Super Famicom game scans : HERE

mysteriousdbzgt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mysteriousdbzgt » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:58 pm

Freeza Heika wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:
I knew it! I knew I was one of the only ones to download it, but who is the third...?
The third one must be me then.
Just another Dragon Ball fangirl in the world.

DB & Tiger and Bunny are my main fandoms, along with many other animes.

Deviantart Profile/ Tiger & Bunnyftw tumblr/ mysteriousdbzgt tumblr / My Anime List Profile

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:00 pm

G1Ravage wrote:After the last episode on a disc plays, you're treated to a black, silent screen as English credits scroll by. Necessary, I'm sure, to properly credit the people who worked on the dub, since there are no English credits with the episodes themselves.

The English credits were clearly ripped from the UUE's. They list every character's voice for Episodes 1 through 42 in one go, and credit Mark Menza for the opening and closing themes. :roll: Thanks, did you really have to remind us of what used to be? There's not a spec of dub music anywhere on these sets, THANK GOD, so why even mention his name?
Actually, the weird thing about these credits is that there are credits for characters that don't even appear in these episodes, such as Upa and Bora. Also, I think they are actually taken from the Season Sets since Steve Franco from Video Post & Transfer is credited as colorist.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:01 pm

Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:Actually, the weird thing about these credits is that there are credits for characters that don't even appear in these episodes, such as Upa and Bora. Also, I think they are actually taken from the Season Sets since Steve Franco from Video Post & Transfer is credited as colorist.
:shock:

OK, that's pretty lazy and insulting.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

russ869
Beyond Newbie

Post by russ869 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:01 pm

email2003 wrote:
russ869 wrote: So were these extras stripped from the single disc versions? Or are the Dragonbox singles the exact same disc authoring as the boxset?
Go here: http://www.kanzentai.com/dvd.php?id=dbox_z1

This will explain everything. :)
Well, it didn't say on that page. But it did say on Kanzentai's DVD singles page. So I found it, thanks.
VegettoEX wrote:There are approximately three people that download the podcast each week. I am one of them.
With Meri and Julian being the other 2, right?

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:05 pm

Also, if we wanna be nitpicky, I also caught in the synopsis for episode 1 in the Dragonbook, they called the Tenkaichi Tournament the "World" Tournament, even though it is labeled correctly in the rest of the book. Only instance I've seen of a dub term in the book.

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:10 pm

Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:
G1Ravage wrote:After the last episode on a disc plays, you're treated to a black, silent screen as English credits scroll by. Necessary, I'm sure, to properly credit the people who worked on the dub, since there are no English credits with the episodes themselves.

The English credits were clearly ripped from the UUE's. They list every character's voice for Episodes 1 through 42 in one go, and credit Mark Menza for the opening and closing themes. :roll: Thanks, did you really have to remind us of what used to be? There's not a spec of dub music anywhere on these sets, THANK GOD, so why even mention his name?
Actually, the weird thing about these credits is that there are credits for characters that don't even appear in these episodes, such as Upa and Bora. Also, I think they are actually taken from the Season Sets since Steve Franco from Video Post & Transfer is credited as colorist.
Are there any flashbacks to Upa and Bora in the first 42? You know how FUNi *has* to provide voices and grunts to flashbacks, even if they were completely silent in the original.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:15 pm

G1Ravage wrote:Are there any flashbacks to Upa and Bora in the first 42? You know how FUNi *has* to provide voices and grunts to flashbacks, even if they were completely silent in the original.
Probably not. They credited Steve Franko. These are likely incorrect credits.

Good thing I don't care about some random silent dub credit scroll at the very end.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:31 pm

Ok, so my set came today and it's awesome...except that the second book of DVDs' plastic is all cracked and actually missing a chunk and it wasn't even rattling around in the box anywhere! It's just gone! I can tell it got broken during manufacturing and not shipping because the outer yellow box is completely fine and hasn't been crushed at all. It's not a huge deal because everything else and most importantly the discs aren't damaged, but damn. Way to ruin such a pristine looking package.

russ869
Beyond Newbie

Post by russ869 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:32 pm

G1Ravage wrote:Are there any flashbacks to Upa and Bora in the first 42?
You don't remember? They show up in one of the Saiyan arc episodes where Upa and his father encounter an angry Launch stealing from their tipi.

hunterxhunter21
Beyond Newbie

Post by hunterxhunter21 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:34 pm

That sucks, I would return it. Am I the only one that has trouble getting the books out? When I turn it to its side the Dragon Book falls out, then disc 4-6 comes out very slow. I then have to put my hand inside the box to pull out disc 1-3.
Dragon Ball Famicon/Super Famicom game scans : HERE

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:35 pm

Slickmasterfunk wrote:EPIC Sadness
If I were you, I would return it for an new one. It is the DRAGONBOX after all. It is probably worth the effort of exchanging it to have a fully-pristine package.

Seeing it makes me sad and it isn't even mine. :cry:
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."