FUNimation Dragon Box Z #1 (In-Hands) Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:13 pm

godofchaos wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:Goddamn, Nathan's caps really do show how far we've come. The Pioneer single looks like fucking SHIT
That is partially because Nathan's caps don't look right.

There is unnatural stuttering that does not appear it's from the source material.
Nope. That's how it's actually encoded on those DVD's. I didn't resize anything. The Pioneer discs are that bad.
Last edited by nathantheguitarist on Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:17 pm

nathantheguitarist wrote:
godofchaos wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:Goddamn, Nathan's caps really do show how far we've come. The Pioneer single looks like fucking SHIT
That is partially because Nathan's caps don't look right.

There is unnatural stuttering that does not appear it's from the source material.
Nope. That's how it's actually encoded on those DVD's. I didn't resize anything. The Pioneer discs are that bad.
Minus that I see it in some of the other caps you posted also...
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:18 pm

BrollysKin wrote:Hey Nathan, you can probably take the link out of your sig now. :lol:
Anyone know how to strikeout text on here? I thought of something to replace it with, but I still want to keep it on there, ya know? :lol:
Well that server has been dead for many years anyway, so... (plus, I dunno what 'FULLSREEN' is) :P

And the aliasing is present in all the caps, btw. Look at the lines on Piccolo's tunic. It's definitely something in the way you took the screen shots/your player is decoding the MPEG-2 stream.

-Corey
Last edited by MajinVejitaXV on Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:19 pm

BrollysKin wrote:Hey Nathan, you can probably take the link out of your sig now. :lol:
Anyone know how to strikeout text on here? I thought of something to replace it with, but I still want to keep it on there, ya know? :lol:
Actually, I don't think you can do that here... it just doesn't seem to be an option. Maybe if this were on LiveJournal or something... I think you're just going to have to work around it or erase the text completely if you go to change it.
Last edited by KinoFourpaws on Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:19 pm

Last edited by .:PoetikaL:. on Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

nathantheguitarist

Post by nathantheguitarist » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:20 pm

I knew I wouldn't be able to edit fast enough.

------
Nevermind... I see now.
Poetikal's:
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/7353 ... 200911.png
Mine:
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/3443/dbox04.png

Meh... I just did mine for color's sake. But even with the weirdness going on, the Pioneer discs do look like shit lol. Also, when you save as PNG in Photoshop, it asks if you want it interlaced. I always hit "No" out of habit. Maybe that's why they look like that? I'm not a Photoshop expert. :oops:
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:22 pm

Photoshopping almost for 5 years, but yeah... there is a slight jagged-ness to yours. Even still though, you can see the colors are similar.

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

nathantheguitarist

Post by nathantheguitarist » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:22 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:(plus, I dunno what 'FULLSREEN' is) :P
Oh wow... I've had that typo there for that long?

Fail... :roll:

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:23 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:(plus, I dunno what 'FULLSREEN' is) :P
Oh wow... I've had that typo there for that long?

Fail... :roll:
And my friend Ben killed that server back in 2007 or so (not too long after I made the original letter), so it's just been a dead link since then. So...yeah. Put it out of its misery ;)

-Corey

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:24 pm

Was there ever any improvement between the Pioneer DVD's and the UUE's?
DemonRin wrote:I'm so confused... are there ANY screenshots in this thread that are "Right"?...
Yeah... I kind of want some definitive shots...
Last edited by BrollysKin on Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:24 pm

I'm so confused... are there ANY screenshots in this thread that are "Right"?...

Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:29 pm

DemonRin wrote:I'm so confused... are there ANY screenshots in this thread that are "Right"?...
I wanna say my Funi DBox screens are right, only because godofchaos told me the way to do them. Not tooting my horn or anything, but I think mine are good.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:32 pm

BrollysKin wrote:Was there ever any improvement between the Pioneer DVD's and the UUE's?
Yeah... I kind of want some definitive shots...
The colors in the UUE are slightly brighter and the overall picture is less shittastic.
Last edited by jjgp1112 on Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

nathantheguitarist

Post by nathantheguitarist » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:32 pm

Poetikal's are right for Dragon Box shots. I have no idea who, but the person before that who posted UUE shots are right.

My Pioneer shots are the best at the moment. Even if they're suffering from stupid codec problems, they're not really any better than what my screens show. The DVD's are jagged, and badly encoded all by themselves.
BrollysKin wrote:Was there ever any improvement between the Pioneer DVD's and the UUE's?
Lots. They're a bit brighter, and the color tone is consistent (Pioneer's gets dark a lot). And they're better encoded at least.
MajinVegetaXV wrote:And my friend Ben killed that server back in 2007 or so (not too long after I made the original letter), so it's just been a dead link since then. So...yeah. Put it out of its misery ;)

-Corey
I know it's been a dead link, but I still like to remind people of our little fight against Funi to change what obviously didn't change. Something had to have gotten them to put out the Dragon Boxes though. 8) Anyways, I changed it. No more 9000 reference lol. It's not funny anymore. :P

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:34 pm

.:PoetikaL:. wrote:
I wanna say my Funi DBox screens are right, only because godofchaos told me the way to do them. Not tooting my horn or anything, but I think mine are good.
Poetikal's are right, as are haseowolfs once he switched to MPC.

For proper screencaps of 4:3 DVD content...

http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.p ... ht=#312266

(and I didn't mention it there, but if it gives you the option to interlace the PNG... don't)

PS- Please don't print screen... it makes goc sad.
Last edited by MarcFBR on Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:36 pm

Looking back at the UUE caps, they actually hold their own in my eyes.

I can say that I am actually totally cool with the way the UUEs looked compared to the Pioneer DVDs and the cropped Seasons we got in 2007. It's darker and more saturated that the DBox, but that doesn't bother me. It's not DBox, but if we got all the 291 episodes released like that in 4:3, I would've felt no need for the DBox. I just want all of the Dragon Ball anime in their proper aspect ratios.

Of course it goes without saying, Dragon Box>UUEs>Pioneer.

Speaking of the Dragon Box, I get my Thanksgiving bonus this week, so hopefully I'll be able to pick this one up online or in-store. Can't wait to replace my cropped sets with these!
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:42 pm

I just got my Dragon Box in from rightstuf.com, after returning home from NekoCon today. Apparently it arrived on Friday since I received a shipping confirm that stated it left on Wednesday, and I was already at the con on Friday.

Yes, it's everything you all have already said about it. It's sooooo nice. Cha-La restored to the English dub. Next ep previews in Japanese only, even on the English dub.

Chapter stops are slightly different:
- There is no chapter stop after the recap-and-titlecard ("Prologue and Subtitle"),
- No chapter stop within each act
- The Act 1 chapter stop occurs after the "we'll be right back" first eyecatch.

I was able to snag this for $48 including shipping from rightstuf.com -- and it is definitely worth every penny. God bless each and every one of you that bought your anime from FUNi to make this happen. This is awesome. :)
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Post by KillerCory » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:56 pm

UUE caps are alright.

Seeing it in motion however...barf.
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

nathantheguitarist

Post by nathantheguitarist » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:16 pm

godofchaos wrote:For proper screencaps of 4:3 DVD content...

http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.p ... ht=#312266

(and I didn't mention it there, but if it gives you the option to interlace the PNG... don't)

PS- Please don't print screen... it makes goc sad.
I'm gonna follow that post, but I'm having problems... of course lol.

I can't seem to find out how to set the directory for a screencap. I'm just not finding it. But that's just for setting it to a button.

As for actually taking a shot, through "File - Save Image As" it says "The 'Save Image' and 'Save Thumbnails' functions do not work with the Overlay Mixer video renderer. Change the video renderer in MPC's output options and reopen the file."

Did I install CCCP wrong, or can I actually change the renderer?

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:22 pm

nathantheguitarist wrote:.

I can't seem to find out how to set the directory for a screencap. I'm just not finding it. But that's just for setting it to a button.

As for actually taking a shot, through "File - Save Image As" it says "The 'Save Image' and 'Save Thumbnails' functions do not work with the Overlay Mixer video renderer. Change the video renderer in MPC's output options and reopen the file."

Did I install CCCP wrong, or can I actually change the renderer?
What version of Windows are you on?

Find the preferences and settings, if you go thru that menu you will see a whole section with JUST key shortcuts (unfortunately I can't walk people through this, motherboard blew on my primary machine, and my backup isn't a Windows machine, so no CCCP.)