FUNimation Dragon Box Z #1 (In-Hands) Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jon Jon » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:21 am

DBZfan29 wrote:
Jon Jon wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote: Keep in mind that I won't be buying online, I'll be walking into their brick and mortar store. Besides, worst case, I'll wait for my Amazon order to arrive and then take that brand new shrink-wrapped copy back to Best Buy and return it. There's nothing wrong with that.

-Corey
Yes, on BESTBUY.COM, not the physical store. I used to work in Circuit City. Whenever we had to price match something, it was always proved by a print out from the web site. Realistically, how else would you provide proof for a price match?
I posted again with more proof. It's immediately after the post you replied to.
From working in these stores, let me tell you, these people aren't educated in such policy. Nor do most of them care. If you show it to a customer service rep they will more times than not just take it. Trust me on this.

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:27 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:So Amazon charges for shipping for items over $25? :(
I guess I read the free shipping thing incorrectly. I thought if it was over that price the shipping was free.
If I choose a free shipping, it'll take a looooong time!

And with the fastest shipping service, I had to pay a total of $97.97.

And therfore, I went to the middle. Pay a little, get it quicker.

It's still cheaper than $80.
I remember ordering the first VIZBIG volumes a while back. It was a few days after their release, and they shipped in three days. The Dragon Box will come in a short time if you use the Super Saving option.
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:06 pm

I'm gonna post my dissection up in here later tonight. Probley about 1AM. I guess that would be morning... whatever, thats when I get home from work. :D

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:34 pm

Has anyone else noticed problems with scratching on their discs? When I received mine, Disc 4 was upside down against Discs 5 and 6 because the push button in the middle of the clip had broken off (luckily the disc still locks in place), and it was slightly dinged up. I decided to inspect every disc after that, and found that Disc 3 also for whatever reason had two rather noticeable scratches on it.

I'm assuming the discs will still play just fine, but once I get to those I'll find out for sure. If worse comes to worse, if you present FUNimation with a scan of a receipt from RightStuf or a proof of purchase, would they be willing to ship replacement discs?

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:45 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I'm gonna post my dissection up in here later tonight. Probley about 1AM. I guess that would be morning... whatever, thats when I get home from work. :D
Well, my eventual disection will kick yours ass! But seriously, I always like your dissections, so I may have to stay up later tonight to read it. :D
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

GizmoKSX
Beyond Newbie

Post by GizmoKSX » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:09 pm

TheSonofKakarrot wrote: When I'm watching this on my surround sound, my receiver indicates the channel is only coming from the center speaker even when on auto. When I usually watch the FUNi DVD's, even though its mono, its 2 channell mono and my surround sound indicates this showing the "L" and "R" for the left and right speakers and the audio comes out of both. But for some reason it only indicates the center speaker and thats all the audio comes from. Is this set a two channel mono or just a single? Because I never had this issue with the FUNi DVDs.
Reposted from page 28 to save some time:
GizmoKSX wrote: As has been stated, the Japanese track is 96 kbps mono. That's one channel at 96 kbps, which, going by godofchaos' breakdown back on page 13, is a respectable job. By comparison, the season set used a 192 kbps 2.0 track. As far as I can tell, that boils down to exactly the same quality with different encoding. (Can someone wiser confirm or debunk that?)
For those with home theater systems, consider your setup. On a default surround setting, all of the audio will be output through your center speaker and subwoofer. If, like in my case, your center speaker doesn't perfectly match your fronts, flip your receiver between stereo and surround settings and see what you prefer. In my case, using the fronts instead of the center speaker gives the sound a bit more warmth, noticeable in the bassline of "Head-Cha-La."
With surround matrixing like Dolby Pro Logic enabled, mono signals will end up in your center channel. It's not necessarily only DVDs, either; I just picked up the Beatles In Mono box set and have to switch off my surround because otherwise, it all ends up in the center speaker. If, like me, you prefer your fronts, there should be a setting on your receiver to disable the matrixing and send it out left and right. Newer receivers with Dolby Pro Logic II should also have an adjustment to configure how much audio is sent to your center speaker and how much remains left/right, but I'm not sure how they handle mono.

For the nitpicky consumer, the specs on the back of the Funi box don't break down specifically how it's encoded on the set. The Dolby Digital logo is on there along with text reading, "English voice track with original Japanese music 5.1 surround; Japanese voice track with original music mono." No mention of the fact that the mono is output as 1.0 as opposed to 2.0.
I can see their parachutes.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:23 pm

GizmoKSX wrote:No mention of the fact that the mono is output as 1.0 as opposed to 2.0.
If it says mono and nothing else, it should probably be expected to be 1.0 seeing as how that is what mono is.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:49 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I'm gonna post my dissection up in here later tonight. Probley about 1AM. I guess that would be morning... whatever, thats when I get home from work. :D
Yeah I always enjoy yours as well!
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

SSVegetto
Banned

Post by SSVegetto » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:59 pm

Wow, I'm 49 pages behind. I never thought someone would get it this early. I was thinking November 10. Anyways here is what I have to say.

On page 5, on the Raditz comparison picture. It appears that the r2j has a lot less dot crawl compared to Funi. Others will barely notice it, but I can notice it quite easily. Maybe not as much when in motion though.

I'm a little surprised they put the Japanese audio at 96 kbps. When the R2J was way higher.

I'm happy about the disc labels, they look cool. The Dragon book looks cool also. Overlapping discs is dumb though. But not that big of deal. But seriously Funi's Tsubasa discs sets dont overlap.

The subs look awesome. I'm also happy they put a English dub on there(I'm hoping for eps 68+ they will include both background music choices). The menus look great, I was going to complain because I thought it was only widescreen. But it's 4:3 so they didnt mess that up.

I saw some Funibox to orange box sets comparisons, then pioneer, and Ultimate uncut. But I havent seen enough Funibox to Dragonbox comparisons yet. I think we need more screenshots of these please. I dont know why people are putting up pioneer and orange box stuff because we get the point, at least Funiboxes blows those releases out of the water.

I still think the Japanese Dragonbox is way better than the Funiboxes in terms of the whole package. But with the price, and just looking at the aspect of video quality, I dont know for sure until I watch the disc in motion, but Funi's box is almost on par with R2J dragonbox, but not quite. So I think this might be a great release for most people. But for people that want perfection the DBZ R2J sources are the best choice.

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:08 pm

Char Aznable wrote:If worse comes to worse, if you present FUNimation with a scan of a receipt from RightStuf or a proof of purchase, would they be willing to ship replacement discs?

Nope. They'll tell you just to return it where you got it for replacement. I believe something similar happened with the season sets.
Officer Hippoface sez: "I don't take kindly to vigilantes in my town."

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:11 pm

Char Aznable wrote:Has anyone else noticed problems with scratching on their discs? When I received mine, Disc 4 was upside down against Discs 5 and 6 because the push button in the middle of the clip had broken off (luckily the disc still locks in place), and it was slightly dinged up. I decided to inspect every disc after that, and found that Disc 3 also for whatever reason had two rather noticeable scratches on it.

I'm assuming the discs will still play just fine, but once I get to those I'll find out for sure. If worse comes to worse, if you present FUNimation with a scan of a receipt from RightStuf or a proof of purchase, would they be willing to ship replacement discs?
Seems like only you and I got botched copies. Two of my discs were off of there holders and scratched up.

I watched one of the discs, the one in worse shape, and it played fine, so unless the discs are really trashed, I wouldn't be too too concerned.

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:20 pm

SSVegetto wrote:(I'm hoping for eps 68+ they will include both background music choices).

I'm sorry to break it to ya, But, They won't. Ever.

Why would they anyway? Funi said that they put the dub on "As an after thought" anyway... :?
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:22 pm

Gah, the post office is closed today. I was hoping to get the set today. :P

Anyone see Anime News Network? Its covered in Dragon Box ads.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:08 pm

omegacwa wrote:
Char Aznable wrote:Has anyone else noticed problems with scratching on their discs? When I received mine, Disc 4 was upside down against Discs 5 and 6 because the push button in the middle of the clip had broken off (luckily the disc still locks in place), and it was slightly dinged up. I decided to inspect every disc after that, and found that Disc 3 also for whatever reason had two rather noticeable scratches on it.

Seems like only you and I got botched copies. Two of my discs were off of there holders and scratched up.

I watched one of the discs, the one in worse shape, and it played fine, so unless the discs are really trashed, I wouldn't be too too concerned.
I've made it up to Disc 3 in my little marathon of the Saiya-jin Arc, and so far no problems whatsoever. It's a good thing I won't have to worry and everything with my set appears to be alright, but hopefully this won't come up again for Dragon Box 2 - or the rest of this release for that matter.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:13 pm

Brad Redfield wrote:Gah, the post office is closed today. I was hoping to get the set today. :P

Anyone see Anime News Network? Its covered in Dragon Box ads.
I think that's totally awesome.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

pjay
Beyond Newbie

Post by pjay » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:06 pm

Well canceled my order off of Amazon, and order it from Target's website since they seem to have it. and it should get to me on the 18th

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:20 pm

Well, as planned, I snagged this from Best Buy today near my work (a brand new store) and had them price match Target with no problem whatsoever. $50 out the door after tax.

My first impression of the box itself? "Holy shit, it's 'DragonBox Slim'." :P

More later, gotta catch up with a couple of things and eat.

-Corey

russ869
Beyond Newbie

Post by russ869 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:42 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:Well, as planned, I snagged this from Best Buy today near my work (a brand new store) and had them price match Target with no problem whatsoever. $50 out the door after tax.

-Corey
Sweet. I wanna do that. Did you bring in a newspaper ad for Target or what?
Last edited by russ869 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:43 pm

russ869 wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:Well, as planned, I snagged this from Best Buy today near my work (a brand new store) and had them price match Target with no problem whatsoever. $50 out the door after tax.

-Corey
Sweet. I wanna do that. Did you bring in a paper ad for Target or did you print out their web price or what?
I just printed the web listing that I linked to earlier in this thread.

-Corey

russ869
Beyond Newbie

Post by russ869 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:44 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:I just printed the web listing that I linked to earlier in this thread.

-Corey
Hmm... I was just noticing that Best Buy's price match policy says:
The guarantee does not apply to our competitors' website pricing
So I figured they wouldn't accept a web ad.