Dragon Box 2 And Dragon Ball Season 3 Cover Art.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:04 pm

There's nothing wrong with that. But I don't think it would be an impulsive buy if you bought something that people have waited to come out for years.

Then again, it might look like an impulsive buy if you look at my closet and see 4 versions of the same episodes.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:10 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:And hey, if we're going to be nitpicky, which is actually how I am approaching the cover art as well...IT'S NOT THE RIGHT VEGETA *deep breaths*, the first Dragon Box also has a picture from the wrong time period. The symbol that Goku has is the one he had when he already got to Namek.
So you're saying FUNimation should have (1) redrawn Goku on the first Dragon Box, (2) changed the symbol on his dougi, or (3) gone with their own image of Goku? That seems a little asinine, don't ya think?
Last edited by Hujio on Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:13 pm

I didn't say they should have done anything. I was just pointing it out lol

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:18 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:I didn't say they should have done anything. I was just pointing it out lol
Fair enough. I just wanted to make sure you weren't implying any of that. :)
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

ssgOverlord
Patreon Supporter

Post by ssgOverlord » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:23 pm

Well correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the outfit Goku is using on the first Dragon Box cover, first used when he's on his way to Namek? So that's a different time-frame as well...Not too much, but still.

Edit: Ah, beaten to the punch by a bit.

That said, I think the art looks fine. I think as long as the artwork isn't too out of place (Like Imperfect Cell on the last box or something) I won't really care too much about the cover.

The Roshi looks cool too. I want to pick up Dragon Ball at some point, and for some reason that cover really wants me to get on that faster.
I think I'll be buying assorted Dragon Ball things for the rest of my life.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:38 pm

As far as I remember, the outfit he used while he was headed to Namek was the same as when he fought Vegeta (the Kai logo on the back and Turtle logo on the front), but he put on this outfit when he was landing... Ah hell, whatever.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:18 pm

disturbed001 wrote:
DemonRin wrote:As I did last time, I made a straight Mock-up of the DBox 2 Cover, so we can have a front shot without the weird perspective.

Also, since people liked it Last time, I made a wallpaper out of it. Let me know if anyone wants custom dimensions and/or custom text on the blank spots.
Not to be a pain in the ass, but could you point me to the right page of the thread where you have the first dragonbox? Id like to download that wallpaper.
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/3478/dboxwallm.jpg - This is it. It has the old release date up there though.

Dbzbabe
Not-So-Newbie

Vegeta cover FTW

Post by Dbzbabe » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:16 pm

I love this cover art style of Vegeta, he looks AMAZING! The only downside is they should of used this in a later release since his outfit doesn't match the saga release.

I'm going to enjoy this purchase =>
Tackle life with as much energy as Goku! I'll try to do the same! - Akira Toriyama

Vegeta1984
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegeta1984 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:20 pm

.:PoetikaL:. wrote:Here:
http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.p ... 883#315883

SonGoku's is there, and I reworked somethings on his with a updated one... either way it's there.
Thanks you rock man... I was gonna ask about this.... But thanks man....
XBox Live GamerTag - PSYCHO50501
http://www.facebook.com/daniel.j.williams3
BATMAN ARKHAM CITY - October 18, 2011

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:26 pm

Hey do you think that the DBZ Season Sets were in a way FUNimation's bad copy of the Dragon Box? Everything from Shen Long on the box, to the way their booklets look (the bios look like they were heavily influenced by the Dragon Box book), the marathon feature, etc? I'm only asking because in some very weird way, to me the Season Set looks like a really weird attempted copy of the Dragon Box.

Vegeta1984
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegeta1984 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:38 pm

I'd say so most likely

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:30 pm

The Season Sets were definitely, in a few ways, influenced by the Dragon Box.

Vegeta1984
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegeta1984 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:42 am

Yeah, a very bad attempt... But an attempt nonetheless...

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:53 am

Yeah. The Dragon Box were a restoration and...well...the Season Sets were...a degeneration, but whatever. I think that the packaging and booklet (at least it seems that way to me) were a bad copy of the Dragon Box.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Re: Vegeta cover FTW

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:44 am

Dbzbabe wrote:I love this cover art style of Vegeta, he looks AMAZING! The only downside is they should of used this in a later release since his outfit doesn't match the saga release.

I'm going to enjoy this purchase =>
I don't think that matters, Goku is in his Namek arc outfit on the first box... :P

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:50 am

I honestly think... still to this day, that the only reasons why FUNi released the Season Sets were either:

A. To raise money up and to buy the Dragonbox masters, and knowing us as consumers, we'd bite and buy them all, knowing we can get all the episodes for cheap... (and we all know that we did)

OR

B. They were in negotiations and waiting for a true answer from Toei to releases the masters, and during the releases of the Season Sets, they got the masters and kept them secret until the Z sets were finished.
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

russ869
Beyond Newbie

Post by russ869 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:10 pm

Hold it. Exactly when did Gokuu's gi symbol change?

Of course originally he has Turtle Hermit's "亀" in front and back. Then after he trains with Kaiou-sama, what do his new clothes have? I thought it was still "亀" in front and then Kaiou's kanji "界王" in back. Am I totally wrong here?

People are saying he doesn't have the "悟" symbol (as seen on the front of the DragonBox) until the Namek arc. When did he get it? Was that kanji on the outfits that will loaded on the spaceship?

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:22 pm

russ869 wrote:Hold it. Exactly when did Gokuu's gi symbol change?

Of course originally he has Turtle Hermit's "亀" in front and back. Then after he trains with Kaiou-sama, what do his new clothes have? I thought it was still "亀" in front and then Kaiou's kanji "界王" in back. Am I totally wrong here?

People are saying he doesn't have the "悟" symbol (as seen on the front of the DragonBox) until the Namek arc. When did he get it? Was that kanji on the outfits that will loaded on the spaceship?
The first time he uses the "悟" symbol is in volume 23 chapter 8 of the manga.

Its the chapter that reveals the ginyu force.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:06 pm

I'm loving the Dragon Box art. Freeza would have undoubtedly been a better choice, but it's no big deal.

However, considering the pieces of Dragon Box art, we shouldn't expect any of the art on the boxes to be entirely fitting of the arcs they cover.

As far as I know, there is DBOX art for:

Goku
Vegeta
Freeza
Gohan
Piccolo
Cell
SSJ Goku

Shigeru
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Shigeru » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:29 pm

Well, Piccolo is on the spine of the Toei Dbox 2... Strecthing hell?
[b][url=http://twitter.com/ShigeruTurbo]Twitter[/url][/b]
I like the English dub. Kill me.
Fan since 1995.