Dragon Ball GT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Krazy Monkey
Newbie
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:08 am

Dragon Ball GT

Post by Krazy Monkey » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:01 pm

This is something that's been on my mind for a long time. I've been watching the Dragon Ball series on Youtube recently, and whenever the subject of Dragon Ball GT was brought up, I always read a bunch of negative comments about it. Why is it that people hate this show so much? I honestly don't understand all the hate for it.

I've watched all sixty-four episodes, and I loved it. It had the same type of epic battles that Dragon Ball Z had, along with many throwbacks to Dragon Ball, such as Goku being a kid, the Shadow Dragons (a few of them were born from wishes that were made in Dragon Ball, such as King Piccolo restoring his youth, Upa wishing his father back after Mercenary Tao killed him, etc.), and even the return of dead villains from the past. It even had a huge emphasis on adventuring, just as Dragon Ball did.

In my opinion, Dragon Ball GT was just as good as the other two. My only problem with it that it was way too short. Ironically, that's one thing people always complained about in Dragon Ball Z: The fact that the battles take several episodes (such as the "five minutes" it took for Planet Namek to explode while Goku was fighting Frieza).
Last edited by Krazy Monkey on Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Innagadadavida
I Live Here
Posts: 3453
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:25 am
Location: Arkansas, USA
Contact:

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:06 pm

I hope you mean to say "I own the DVDs, like a responsible contributing member of society, and stumbled across videos of Dragon Ball on YouTube."

Krazy Monkey
Newbie
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:08 am

Post by Krazy Monkey » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:07 pm

Well, to tell you the truth, the only DVDs I actually own are a few Dragon Ball Z movies, such as Dead Zone, The World's Strongest, and Tree of Might. I don't have any others besides those, but I'll buy them someday. Anyway, can we stick to the topic subject, please?

User avatar
Yi Xing Long
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:10 pm

Re: Dragon Ball GT

Post by Yi Xing Long » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:09 pm

The main problem was that it opened up too many plot holes and contradicted previous events. A lot of the characters had wasted potential, and overall it was just plain stupid most of the time.

I enjoyed GT to some degree, but it really doesn't deserve to be the sequel to such a great series.

User avatar
Raki
I Live Here
Posts: 2666
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:50 pm
Location: NH
Contact:

Post by Raki » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:11 pm

Krazy Monkey wrote:Well, to tell you the truth, the only DVDs I actually own are a few Dragon Ball Z movies, such as Dead Zone, The World's Strongest, and Tree of Might. I don't have any others besides those, but I'll buy them someday. Anyway, can we stick to the topic subject, please?
There really is nothing to discuss.
Dragonball and One Piece are two totally different stories, except one author has a fanboy hard-on for another Author.

Krazy Monkey
Newbie
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:08 am

Post by Krazy Monkey » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:12 pm

Yes, there is. This is a topic about Dragon Ball GT. That sounds like a topic of discussion to me.

User avatar
Rocketman
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10798
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:17 pm

Post by Rocketman » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:12 pm

The main thing people dislike about GT is that Goku is totally overpowered. Remember how nobody could so much as budge Super 17, but then Goku shows up and punches him across half the planet?

Krazy Monkey
Newbie
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:08 am

Post by Krazy Monkey » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:18 pm

Hmm, that's a good point, but you should still take into consideration that Goku didn't beat Super Android 17 that easily. In fact, I seem to remember him getting beaten pretty badly by him, even after transforming into Super Saiyan 4. He even had to resort to using a kamikaze attack.

User avatar
Innagadadavida
I Live Here
Posts: 3453
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:25 am
Location: Arkansas, USA
Contact:

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:19 pm

Krazy Monkey wrote:Well, to tell you the truth, the only DVDs I actually own are a few Dragon Ball Z movies, such as Dead Zone, The World's Strongest, and Tree of Might. I don't have any others besides those, but I'll buy them someday. Anyway, can we stick to the topic subject, please?
Okay, here's the deal. Talking about watching the show on YouTube and admitting to not supporting the show is a big no-no. You don't have to lie, but if you're a cancer that's killing the anime industry and ruining the YouTube Dragon Ball community by contributing to the very thing Toei is trying to take down... Well, it's probably best not to open with that.

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1269
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:13 am
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Contact:

Post by Chrono Trigger » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:20 pm

My biggest problem with GT is that it is extremely boring. There is absolutely nothing entertaining about it. Yeah the music is decent and Super Saiyan 4 looks cool but that's about all it has going for it. It rehashes story lines, the fights are dull, and it's just absolutely uninteresting which is sad considering it's Dragon Ball.
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

Krazy Monkey
Newbie
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:08 am

Post by Krazy Monkey » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:29 pm

innagadadavida wrote:Okay, here's the deal. Talking about watching the show on YouTube and admitting to not supporting the show is a big no-no. You don't have to lie, but if you're a cancer that's killing the anime industry and ruining the YouTube Dragon Ball community by contributing to the very thing Toei is trying to take down... Well, it's probably best not to open with that.
Hey, I do support the show, alright? Why do you think I brought the DVD set that included the three movies I mentioned in my above post? I also said that I would buy the others someday, meaning whenever I get the money to do so.

User avatar
Rami
Newbie
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:30 am
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Post by Rami » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:31 pm

I agree with points being made about plotholes and characters wasting potential. Goku becoming a kid again just... made me cringe. Peter Pan Syndrome to the extreme. The only reason I would sit and watch GT is to see how my old favorites (ex. Krillin, Vegeta, Piccolo, etc) were faring in their old age. But as far as I'm concerned the series ended with Buu.
"I'm starting to think Planet Namek is like the island on LOST [i]and you can never, ever leave.[/i]"

User avatar
Rami
Newbie
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:30 am
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Post by Rami » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:43 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:Talking about watching the show on YouTube and admitting to not supporting the show is a big no-no. You don't have to lie, but if you're a cancer that's killing the anime industry and ruining the YouTube Dragon Ball community by contributing to the very thing Toei is trying to take down...
Dude, that's kind of harsh. I mean, I get your point, but even if he did own the entire series, the discussion was brought up because of the negative comments made about it on YouTube. Is that really so bad? Or are we supposed to deny that website's existence completely?
"I'm starting to think Planet Namek is like the island on LOST [i]and you can never, ever leave.[/i]"

User avatar
Raki
I Live Here
Posts: 2666
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:50 pm
Location: NH
Contact:

Post by Raki » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:50 pm

Rami wrote:
Innagadadavida wrote:Talking about watching the show on YouTube and admitting to not supporting the show is a big no-no. You don't have to lie, but if you're a cancer that's killing the anime industry and ruining the YouTube Dragon Ball community by contributing to the very thing Toei is trying to take down...
Dude, that's kind of harsh. I mean, I get your point, but even if he did own the entire series, the discussion was brought up because of the negative comments made about it on YouTube. Is that really so bad? Or are we supposed to deny that website's existence completely?
In terms of actually supporting the franchise with money, yes.
Dragonball and One Piece are two totally different stories, except one author has a fanboy hard-on for another Author.

User avatar
Rami
Newbie
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:30 am
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Post by Rami » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:57 pm

Raki wrote:
Rami wrote:
Innagadadavida wrote:Talking about watching the show on YouTube and admitting to not supporting the show is a big no-no. You don't have to lie, but if you're a cancer that's killing the anime industry and ruining the YouTube Dragon Ball community by contributing to the very thing Toei is trying to take down...
Dude, that's kind of harsh. I mean, I get your point, but even if he did own the entire series, the discussion was brought up because of the negative comments made about it on YouTube. Is that really so bad? Or are we supposed to deny that website's existence completely?
In terms of actually supporting the franchise with money, yes.
Then let's promote censorship while we're at it, aye?
"I'm starting to think Planet Namek is like the island on LOST [i]and you can never, ever leave.[/i]"

User avatar
Raki
I Live Here
Posts: 2666
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:50 pm
Location: NH
Contact:

Post by Raki » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:02 pm

I really don't understand what you're typing about. Your point doesn't make much sense concerning why watching Dragonball(Z/GT) fails to add money to the Dragonball franchise.

But in all fairness, this is a GT topic so I'll add my two cents. People expected GT to be this great continuation of Dragonball. It is not and never will be. Lower your expectations to that of a DB/Z movie and you'll enjoy it.
Dragonball and One Piece are two totally different stories, except one author has a fanboy hard-on for another Author.

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Post by penguintruth » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:08 pm

As I see it, GT has four problems:

1) Unnecessary - We've seen Goku grow up, have a family, save the universe, and decide to go off to train somebody for the pure fun of it. That's all we needed. That's all Toriyama could stand to do, anyway. We don't need more from these characters, Toriyama wrung all he could out of them and so then some.

2) Power Inconsistencies - Goku is a near god at the end of Z. Then he gets turned into a child again, but is he weaker? Just as strong? It's impossible to tell. Sometimes you see him fighting opponents that, if you went by his power at the end of Z, he should be able to eradicate by farting. Other times, he's so powerful it contradicts previous scenes where he's much weaker. And because of this, you end up rolling your eyes when Goku can't easily defeat an opponent he would have been able to take down during the Saiyan arc and wondering when he'll get serious. Or you end up hoping he runs into somebody who is somehow a match. It's weird thing.

3) Identity Crisis - What is GT trying to be? A space adventure? Another beat-em-up show like Z? Both? Because the premise of going around getting the Dragon Balls from different planets is a great idea, but then it devolves again into punching and zapping the hell out of each other and that's already been done to death in Z. Then they try to fit more adventure stylings with the evil dragons, but its too little, too late.

4) Waste of potential - Are you telling me that with the tons of characters - Goten, Trunks, Uub, Pan - that they could have chosen to be the new main cast, they fell back on Goku and Vegeta again? GT should have been about Goten and Trunks. Or Uub. Hell, even if it was just about Pan, fine. I understand Goku is the main draw of the DB world, but please, see problem #2. He's just too powerful to follow anymore!

That, and of course, all the plot holes.

But, GT isn't entirely bad. There may not be large groups of episodes I like, but there are certain parts of certain episodes that are actually pretty good and capture the DB spirit. That's probably what makes GT so disappointing, the fact that there were little bright points, that it wasn't entirely shit from beginning to end.

But even if it had been great, it was still unnecessary.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
Rami
Newbie
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:30 am
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Post by Rami » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:13 pm

Raki wrote:I really don't understand what you're typing about. Your point doesn't make much sense concerning why watching Dragonball(Z/GT) fails to add money to the Dragonball franchise.
Because, if you were reading correctly, that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I was trying to say I don't believe people should be slandered as "the cancer killing the anime industry!" because they mentioned the name of a website. Last I checked the anime industry was doing just fine, aside from the economy being utter shit right now.

I mean, if you have the money, yeah, support the franchise any way you can. If you don't... so what? You may as well just say "poor people shouldn't have anime!"-- or, in this case, Dragonball.
"I'm starting to think Planet Namek is like the island on LOST [i]and you can never, ever leave.[/i]"

User avatar
Raki
I Live Here
Posts: 2666
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:50 pm
Location: NH
Contact:

Post by Raki » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:18 pm

Rami wrote:
Raki wrote:I really don't understand what you're typing about. Your point doesn't make much sense concerning why watching Dragonball(Z/GT) fails to add money to the Dragonball franchise.
I mean, if you have the money, yeah, support the franchise any way you can. If you don't... so what? You may as well just say "poor people shouldn't have anime!"-- or, in this case, Dragonball.
It's not the same thing though.
Dragonball and One Piece are two totally different stories, except one author has a fanboy hard-on for another Author.

User avatar
KillerCory
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:50 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Post by KillerCory » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:21 pm

I don't think the fact that he mentioned youtube is what caused some people to get upset. (youtube is brought up many times in these forums)

But the fact that he mentioned that he is watching Dragonball episodes on youtube.
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

Post Reply