Pioneer DBZ Cover Art And Useless Banter Vol. 1.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Pioneer DBZ Cover Art And Useless Banter Vol. 1.

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:29 pm

So, it's a holiday weekend, I'm home, I'm bored... I decided to scan my old DragonBall Z DVD covers. I really think these covers are some of the best single disc covers for the series, too bad the quality of the dub was so poor. Oh well, I decided to share some of these semi-high quality scans for anyone else who likes this art...

The box...

Pointless banter...

I found this funny, Irwin's old slogan used to be "We remember when we were kids". That's all fine and dandy but what's with that asterisk? Should there be some disclaimer at the bottom that says "The staff at Irwin Toys may or may not actually remember when they were kids"? Ha ha, odd. Also, can you belive DragonBall Z was once censored down for 3 year olds?! WHAT?! Why would they try to aim that low?

Hey look it's the same image used on disc 6 of the DragonBox...

Odd, even though the first 4 episodes were cut together to make one long movie type...thing, all 4 episode titles are actually listed on the menu. If you click an episode it just takes you to that part in the "movie". There is only one episode title for this whole feature...

The only title card being Arrival", which is the name of the DVD.

The next episode previews are also a little different. There is a "Preview for next episode" screen. But for some odd reason they gave us three previews on this disc...

So yea, pretty pointless but hey at least you got some good art out of it...? If I decide to do a Vol. 2 it'll be from the next box set. But I don't know yet. :D
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Re: Pioneer DBZ Cover Art And Useless Banter Vol. 1.

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:34 pm

Very cool thread, as usual...
Tanooki Kuribo wrote: Hey look it's the same image used on disc 6 of the DragonBox...

He's not wearing a scouter in the Pioneer picture though... :o They must have two different versions of that image... for some reason...

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Post by KillerCory » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:41 pm

Many...brings back a lot of memories.

Had all of them on VHS.

And yes those previews were interesting, I know they had one at the end of the tape. I don't think they had any inbetween episodes.

I don't remember...what were the ending credits again? It was something weird.
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:43 pm

Pioneer really knew how to grab your attention with the artwork alone, rather than FUNi's old screencap covers..

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:43 pm

I don't remember...what were the ending credits again? It was something weird.
They fast foward through the end part of the "Cha-La Head Cha-La" animation while playing some "Rock The Dragon" instrumental.

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:47 pm

You know, one would wonder... What if Pioneer did everything right the first time around, kept everything uncut and was close to the script, released the DVD's and VHS's using all the art... and somehow later on kept the show going and got the rights to the Dragonbox.

Actually, I don't know if Pioneer is still doing anime shows... correct me if I'm wrong.

Either way, seeing these in FYE and Suncoast when I was younger made me want these a lot.
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:48 pm

Good lord, those title cards look so low budget and old...it's actually pretty cool! O.o

I'm so jealous. I'd love to have all the Pioneer discs/tapes for nostalgic reasons. I'm just broke. O.o
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:57 pm

I still remember back in the 90's where they had all of these at suncoast, and I remember seeing Deadzone on DVD back when DVD's where so new at time (Like with those ones where you had to snap opean to get the disc inside). I always like the "Doom" dvd cover since Nappa and Vegeta do look awesome in the background.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:33 pm

.:PoetikaL:. wrote:You know, one would wonder... What if Pioneer did everything right the first time around, kept everything uncut and was close to the script, released the DVD's and VHS's using all the art... and somehow later on kept the show going and got the rights to the Dragonbox.

Actually, I don't know if Pioneer is still doing anime shows... correct me if I'm wrong.
Geneon went under a while back.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:37 pm

Raki wrote:
.:PoetikaL:. wrote:You know, one would wonder... What if Pioneer did everything right the first time around, kept everything uncut and was close to the script, released the DVD's and VHS's using all the art... and somehow later on kept the show going and got the rights to the Dragonbox.

Geneon went under a while back.
To be honest, I didn't know if Pioneer was with themselves or a part of something. Thanks for clarifying!

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

Gogeta 00
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta 00 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:41 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote: Also, can you belive DragonBall Z was once censored down for 3 year olds?! WHAT?! Why would they try to aim that low?

Well it looks like they succeeded, I was only 3 years old myself when I first became a fan of the show back in 96.
[url=http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=9403] 12 years, 100 memories[/url]
[Former dub fan 1996-2008]

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:10 pm

Gogeta 00 wrote:
Tanooki Kuribo wrote: Also, can you belive DragonBall Z was once censored down for 3 year olds?! WHAT?! Why would they try to aim that low?

Well it looks like they succeeded, I was only 3 years old myself when I first became a fan of the show back in 96.
Wow, I'm surprised you still like it. I have almost no memories before the age of 6.

Thanks for the scans! I always loved the art on these, and am constantly tempted to pick up the sets since this is the version from which I have the fondest memories.
Officer Hippoface sez: "I don't take kindly to vigilantes in my town."

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:33 pm

KillerCory wrote:I don't remember...what were the ending credits again? It was something weird.
Here's the ending (and opening).

Either way, seeing these in FYE and Suncoast when I was younger made me want these a lot.
Pioneer (now Geneon) only did the the first three movies. For the TV series, they were only the distributor. Though, had FUNimation had Geneon do the series to, I can only assume it would've been just as awesome as the movies (accurate script, original music, uncut). *sigh* If only...

I actually still see Geneon's DBZ DVDs at a store in the mall nearby where I live. I think it might be FYE or Suncoast. I now it at least used to be Suncoast. Anyways, some of them are brand new. If I had money, I might buy them, but it might be better to just buy the box set online.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:47 pm

Sweet Jesus, those covers are awesome.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:56 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:
KillerCory wrote:I don't remember...what were the ending credits again? It was something weird.
Wow! I haven't heard that song for a while, I'm sure that's the opening and ending song that aired in the UK.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:00 pm

Ah, the memories! I've always loved these covers, too bad the singles that followed had such shitty art.

Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:02 pm

SSJSteve wrote:
linkdude20002001 wrote:
Wow! I haven't heard that song for a while, I'm sure that's the opening and ending song that aired in the UK.
Even though I converted to strictly the Japanese version... Hearing Rock The Dragon still gets me amped and is still catchy.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:11 pm

What a rush of nostalgia, I may end up watching the Saiyajin/Namek arcs with that dub now.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:25 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:[Though, had FUNimation had Geneon do the series to, I can only assume it would've been just as awesome as the movies (accurate script, original music, uncut). *sigh* If only...
Let's not exaggerate. The movie dubs were more accurate than the TV series dub, but not as accurate as most dubs are today. I noticed this when I watched my copies of the Pioneer DVDs for those movies with the dub on, but also with subtitles, and some of the difference in dialogue can be pretty head-scratching.

Though, the whole reason I bought those DVDs to begin with was my desire to hear Peter Kelamis as Goku and Scott McNeil as Piccolo once again.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:43 pm

I haven't done that in a long time. Maybe I should, 'cause I don't remember them being too different.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."