The boring parts?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1269
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:13 am
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Contact:

The boring parts?

Post by Chrono Trigger » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:10 pm

Dragon Ball has plenty of great moments, exciting fights, and legendary story arcs. We always talk about what we like most about Dragon Ball but what about the parts we don’t like? Are there any parts of the manga that you normally avoid or skip over? Are there any fights that just don’t do it for you? Basically what I’m asking is: What parts are boring to you?

Personally I love all of Dragon Ball. It’s a non-stop thrill ride chapter to chapter all the way until the end. As for the Z portion…well there are chunks of the series I really don’t care for these days. As a whole the parts I find the most boring/uninteresting are the events from the 16 vs Cell fight all the through the Vegeta vs 2nd Form Cell. If there is one portion of the series that bores me to tears it’s gotta be that stretch. I’ve never really cared for 16 as a character and watching Vegeta beat up on Cell just puts me to sleep. I know a lot of fights in DBZ are one sided but this one takes the cake.
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

User avatar
Kunzait_83
I Live Here
Posts: 2716
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:19 pm

Re: The boring parts?

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:22 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Tue May 03, 2011 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ssjcj
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:19 am
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Post by ssjcj » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:33 pm

I always disliked the fight between Goku and Freeza, not only for the ridiculously long filler in the anime, but for the fact it lasted for so long in the manga too. I also didn't like the fight between Vegeta and Cell (second form). There was no real fighting, I thought it was too easy for Vegeta.

User avatar
caejones
I Live Here
Posts: 3123
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:37 am
Contact:

Post by caejones » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:55 pm

I don't like watching Buu destroy the Earth, not because it's boring, but because I like Gohan and Goten too much. :cry:

Thinking on parts of the series I like, missed or fell asleep through or whatever... I think it tends to be final battles, actually.
Like, the Piccolo Daimao Fight... but to be fair, a friend and I were kinda marathonning that arc, and it was late, and I usually went to bed hours before then... so I was fading in and out for most of it.

The Goku Vs. Freeza fight... I missed the episode where Goku transforms on Toonami because I kinda stopped caring at that point. :oops:

I think one of the main reasons that I don't care so much for Vegeta is his "fight" with Cell. "I'M THE GREATEST AND I'M GOING TO PROVE IT IN THE MOST BIG-HEADED WAY POSSIBLE!". (And before the "Stop bashing Vegeta, Kakrot-lover!" posts... I do kinda recognize that I'm both exagerating and conveniently not mentioning similar "WTF?" moments on other characters' parts. FUNi "shout all the time in this arc" Vegeta didn't help, either. So yeah, not fair... but how it turned out. :( ).

Gohan doesn't stomp frogs. :mad:
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6180
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:31 pm

I have to agree about Vegeta vs. Imperfect Cell, at least in the anime. It was just a whole bunch of nothing happening, and one of the episodes for it was one of the worst animated episodes in the whole show.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

User avatar
ShadowDude112
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1871
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:54 pm

Post by ShadowDude112 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:36 pm

The most boring part was Goku going Super Saiyan in the anime. Why? Because it took longer than the manga how bout instead of making the transformation so long have a little filler about something just not the transformation.
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:If Toriyama joined Kanzenshuu, he'd probably forget his login name and password.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
JacobYBM wrote:No, why would it? It's fiction. The strength of the characters is not possible to reach in reality.
I mean, you're pretty open about looking at cartoon porn. Why would you do that? It's fiction. The proportions of these women are not possible to reach in reality.

User avatar
B
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5561
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:15 am
Contact:

Post by B » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:04 pm

Various episodes of Goku charging the Genki Dama in the Freeza arc in the anime. Bleh.

Also, Goku VS Murasaki during the Muslce Tower infiltration. I need to check the manga to see if the anime Toei'd all over it, or if that part really is just boring.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

User avatar
KKZ
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:12 pm
Contact:

Post by KKZ » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:12 pm

Any episodes with the triangular characters + choppy animation beyond the Saiyan Saga are almost immediate skips for me these days, although I really looked forward to any new episodes back in the day. I also don't really care for most of the Ginyu Saga and the Freeza Saga in general because they have the worst acting & writing.
[quote="temujin"]Krillin,the guy is just a ridiculous midget without nose.Seriously, he looks like some kind of bizarre monster. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Krillin's head is also pretty big like a balloon. :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote][quote="Thanos"]Eh... it gets kinda old hearing elitists say things like "IT SHOULD HAVE ENDED WHEN GOKU MET BULMA"[/quote]

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Post by penguintruth » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:32 pm

I would say I got tired of seeing Androids 16, 17, and 18 travelling around during the Androids/Cell arc. And Goku speeding down Snake Way on his way back from training (I get it, he's on his way).

I liked Vegeta's fight with Cell, though, especially when he's a thick-headed ass and lets Cell attain his perfect form.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6896
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:31 am
Location: SoCal
Contact:

Post by Kendamu » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:32 pm

I generally don't find the "Ginyu is Goku and Goku is Ginyu" to be too exciting. It probalby has to do with the fact that Dragonball Z was very different than any other animated show I watched up to that point. Then, after excitedly looking forward to Season 3 and not knowing what was gonna happen next, the first immediate big plot point in the show was a body switch episode... something that happens in a lot of long running American animated shows.

User avatar
Chuquita
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15035
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by Chuquita » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:51 pm

I have to second the episodes with triangle artwork; those are awful. :cry:

One of the reasons I like the art in the anime's saiyajin arc so much is the triangle stuff is very minimal. Once we get to the mid-Freeza and most of Cell, it pops up way too frequently for my liking.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

User avatar
MCDaveG
I Live Here
Posts: 4621
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:54 pm
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Contact:

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:09 am

I disliked the whole Cell Games and then I was bored to death from the Goku SSJ3 vs Majin Buu till the end if the series.....

But manga is really well paced without boring filler stuff, so I can'tsay I dislike anything in manga, but i dislike a lot in anime series
''Gotta catch 'em all! Dragon Baaaaall!''

samuraigundam
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:42 am

Post by samuraigundam » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:26 am

Chuquita wrote:I have to second the episodes with triangle artwork; those are awful. :cry:

One of the reasons I like the art in the anime's saiyajin arc so much is the triangle stuff is very minimal. Once we get to the mid-Freeza and most of Cell, it pops up way too frequently for my liking.
Yeah, those episodes were done by the third tier team, and I am surprised Toei let them continue on through GT and certain sections of the movies and specials. It was incredibly frustrating knowing that every third or fourth episode would be the worst anime I would ever see. I remember watching the previews for those episodes and thinking " I hope someone who has heard of this show and plans to check it out doesn't end up watching one of those episodes on their first viewing, because they might get the impression this show is awful " .

I hope those are among the episodes Toei decides to cut out of Kai. If not, maybe they can at least give them a touch up.
Together!
Allegiance or Death!!
BIG FIRE!!!
-The Magnificent Ten,Giant Robo

User avatar
NeptuneKai
I Live Here
Posts: 3576
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:51 pm

Post by NeptuneKai » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:44 am

I really don't like how drawn out some of the Red Ribbon stuff is. Namely the Blue ordeal.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

User avatar
Eddie
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1059
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:02 am
Location: Nowhere. Quite possibly the middle of it.

Post by Eddie » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:22 pm

I mostly get bored during the filler. Ginyu Bulma, the vast majority of the Gohan, Krillin, & Bulma while they travel to Namek stuff, and the episode where Krillin proposes all come to mind as particular boring moments. GT also gets boring quite fast.

User avatar
Bura
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1247
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:30 pm
Location: Netherlands

Post by Bura » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:10 pm

In the anime: Goku traveling snake way, Bulma filler on planet Namek and also the Cell arc after he turned perfect. A lot of people LOVED the Cell Games, but I didn't! Maybe because I don't really like Gohan. Although I did like him in the Saiyaman arc.

In the manga: I skip nothing really. Maybe the fights of the Tenkaichi Budoukai where Goku fights some random guy in the first round. Gosh, I wonder who'll win! ¬¬ But the manga goes so much faster than the anime, the version I'm used to. So maybe that's why I usually don't really skip much of it.

User avatar
Suupaa Gohan 2
Regular
Posts: 645
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:42 pm
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Contact:

Post by Suupaa Gohan 2 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:21 am

Not counting most of the filler, or my list would be a mile long. Not that there's not some filler I enjoy (I like the relaxation leading up to the Cell Game, or Gokou and Piccolo learning how to drive), but it only serves to make Drag-On Ball even draggier, soooo...

In the original DB, parts of the Red Ribbon arc got a little boring. Nothing really skip-worthy, but the whole General Blue segment got old after a while, and then Pilaf showing up again, I found Agent Black to be quite boring, etc...on the whole though, DB is constantly interesting, and even some of the filler manages to be enjoyable. For instance, Gokou's training with Mr. Popo and Kami-Sama...if I recall, that's the Manga's first large time skip, and it feels awkward.

As for Z...oooooh, Z. While I'm a Gohan lover and so I enjoy his whole desert training subplot, since we get to watch him grow, most of the stuff between the Radditz fight and the arrival of Vegeta and Nappa is really irritating. Then there's SSJ Gokou vs. Freeza...I'll watch up until his transformation, of course, but after that I'm liable to skip ahead to the arrival of Trunks...or at least, watch the earth scenes after everyone is wished there, and just ignore the entire rest of the fight.

Honestly after Trunks I really don't like the whole first half of the Android arc, and I'm not a huge Vegeta fan so his first time as an SSJ doesn't interest me enough to not skip over it...once #16, #17 and #18 are released, though, it gets good for a while again, then it gets boring after Piccolo's fight with Imperfect Cell (well, after Gohan and Trunks find the Cell egg). The whole Imperfect Cell Form 2 stuff is boring. Back in the fansub days I never saw that entire stretch of episodes, and until a few years back when it ran in the English Shounen Jump I had never actually seen any of the Cell/Trunks or Cell/Vegeta fights...and was still able to enjoy the series for many years. I kinda tend to mentally skip over that portion for that reason, and yeah, it is pretty dull. Wake me up when the Cell Game is announced.

Oddly enough I never found the Buu arc terribly boring. Maybe the whole bonding thing beween Satan and Buu, but that's important to the plot at the same time...I never liked SSJ3 Gokou, though. Sorry, but after SSJ2, it just gets to be too much. I like the Buu arc though, because it goes back to the more humorous style of DB, so it feels like there's never a dull moment even though if it were only non-stop action I'd probably hate it. Also I'm one of the few people who actually likes Videl, and so she, Goten and Trunks tend to make up for Gohan becoming a pussy.
Steam Name: SG2
Discord Tag: Esjitu#4064

"I came to save you thanks to a magic bean. And if you think it was easy to find that bean, you're wrong."
--'Big Green' Yajirobe

User avatar
Castor Troy
I Live Here
Posts: 2134
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:37 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Contact:

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:20 am

The Red Ribbon arc is probably my least favorite thing in the whole series. SSJ Goku vs. Freeza is probably 2nd to that.

User avatar
LeprikanGT
I Live Here
Posts: 3398
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:58 pm
Location: Namek
Contact:

Post by LeprikanGT » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:34 pm

I havent read thorugh the Manga completely so I am not sure what ALL is filler and what isnt but aside from the OBVIOUS filler I cant really think of any part I find boring except for some time for training for the Vegeta and Nappa.

User avatar
Scarz
I Live Here
Posts: 3382
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:05 am
Location: New York

Post by Scarz » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:54 pm

The Garlic Jr. saga.

Post Reply