Take the Wukong?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Take the Wukong?

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:17 pm

Amazingly, I just finished my second trip through the Dragon Box. Looking for more things to tide me over until Volume 2 comes out, I actually did something I haven't done in many years: I spot checked the dub. I found a lot of things, some intriguing, many annoying. When I got to the Fake Namek stuff, I actually had a Chris Psaros moment. I remember when he was reviewing the immediately preceding episode (space orphans) he complained about how all the minor characters (in the Ocean dub) have great voices while the major characters sound horrible. When I heard the dub actor for Lychee, I felt exactly the same way! This is, as far as I know, the greatest actor in the dub by far, but they have him dubbing one of the most useless characters! His name is Troy Baker, I believe. But I was just amazed. I could listen to his voice all day! He would have been great for Ginyu... or, actually, the narrator!

But, anyway, my topic is more about what he actually says. In the original dialogue, Lychee surprises the characters by referring to his flying craft as a "Goku." Interestingly, in the dub, the name is "changed" to "Wukong," which, most people know is the Chinese reading of the name. So I'm torn between being impressed and being extremely frustrated. It's somewhat impressive that FUNimation actually has enough knowledge of Dragon Ball to make a gag like that. However, to your average dub fan, this line totally loses its meaning, so why would they go to the trouble to do this in the first place when the original line would have been so easy? As usual, FUNimation defies all logic. What do you guys think about that?

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:25 pm

If someone held a gun to my head and told me to choose, I would have preferred the original line. But, outside of that, looking at what they changed it to, I don't really mind it.

And Troy Baker should be Freeza, fdsfgs.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:27 pm

It is kinda odd. The idea in the Japanese version is that the fake Namekians got the name "Goku" from reading Bulma and co.'s memories, so changing it to "Wukong" ruins this. Although I guess you could say that in the dub they got "Wukong" from the name of the hospital Goku and co. were staying in.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

russ869
Beyond Newbie

Post by russ869 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:57 pm

Herms wrote:Although I guess you could say that in the dub they got "Wukong" from the name of the hospital Goku and co. were staying in.
D'oh! Totally forgot about this. And it wasn't long ago that I watched it either...

Yeah, that episode was also the only one I watched a little in English because I wanted to show my brother those fake Namekians' awesome voices.