*starts laughing uncontrollably* McRoberts? Really?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

A-dono
Not-So-Newbie

Post by A-dono » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:29 pm

Geeko sounds pretty good to me.

But seriously, McRoberts? I guess everybody has a little Irish in them.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:34 pm

A-dono wrote:Geeko sounds pretty good to me.

But seriously, McRoberts? I guess everybody has a little Irish in them.
I'm a quarter Irish, myself.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:39 pm

IncompetentOverlord wrote:
Chrono Trigger wrote:They called him "Son Goku" in the movie at some point didn't they? I think it was Mai? Man...I swear I keep forgetting they made a live-action movie.
You are very lucky. The rest of us can't seem to get the damn thing out of our poor, tortured brains. :cry:
At least it had Goku and Chi Chi kiss though. (Hey, heterosexual men being romantics do exist).

On topic, though, this kinda reminds me how used to see merchandise related to the Sailor Moon dub that mentioned the last names of some of the Inner Soldiers whose last names weren't mentioned in the dub, as well as Tuxedo Mask's whose last name also wasn't mentioned. The girls' last names were unchanged as were all the Soldiers whose last names were mentioned, But they gave Tuxedo Mask the last name of "Shields".

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:15 pm

IncompetentOverlord wrote:
Chrono Trigger wrote:They called him "Son Goku" in the movie at some point didn't they? I think it was Mai? Man...I swear I keep forgetting they made a live-action movie.
You are very lucky. The rest of us can't seem to get the damn thing out of our poor, tortured brains. :cry:
Not gonna lie, I enjoyed the movie.

Granted...I didn't take it seriously...AT ALL. But I still enjoyed it.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:29 pm

penguintruth wrote:Let's call him "Noku".
"Gohan".

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:38 pm

Rocketman wrote:
penguintruth wrote:Let's call him "Noku".
"Gohan".
You're right. The Goku in that movie was more like Gohan.

An annoying version, mind you, but Gohan.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:40 pm

penguintruth wrote:An annoying version, mind you, but Gohan.
In b4 Rocketman: Gohan is annoying. :wink:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

A-dono
Not-So-Newbie

Post by A-dono » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:57 pm

Better yet, call him "Goten."

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:04 am

Phew. Glad I never saw the movie.

But for some reason, this is reminding me of the dub version of the Yamucha baseball scene (in both dubs since the dialogue was unchanged) where all these minor character names were added in that were soooo American-esque (Rocky Rivers, Pepper Johnson, Freddy Hines, Becky Hafner), and then for Coach "Freddy" to call over to "Yamucha" is honestly pretty gut-bustingly funny in that context!

(Interestingly, the recap of that episode is the only time Karin's name is pronounced correctly in the dub, but that's a conversation for another topic.)

FuniYamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by FuniYamcha » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:08 am

Huh, didn't know Rocketman's last name was McRoberts.
Not a problem.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:20 am

I didn't get a chance to listen to the podcast but I thought these crappy last names were do to those Evolution kids books(or was it the video game?) that came before the movie.

If I remember correctly, whoever wrote the story(book or game) had no access to the movie script and basically decided to take liberties of there own(as if the movie didn't do it enough themselves) when it came to last names. I don't remember hearing Chi-Chi's name in the movie and I could have sworn Bulma's name was still Briefs. :?
Big Momma wrote:Not gonna lie, I enjoyed the movie.

Granted...I didn't take it seriously...AT ALL. But I still enjoyed it.
Good to see I'm not alone. I knew this movie was going to be a weak adaptation of Dragonball so I went in with no expectations and ended up having a good time. The movie is cheesy fun and thankfully it didn't take itself seriously(Unlike Legend of Chun-Li).
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:39 am

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:If I remember correctly, whoever wrote the story(book or game) had no access to the movie script and basically decided to take liberties of there own(as if the movie didn't do it enough themselves) when it came to last names. I don't remember hearing Chi-Chi's name in the movie and I could have sworn Bulma's name was still Briefs. :?
That can't be true, because a lot of the dialogue and actions in the "Junior Novel" adaptation does indeed happen in the movie verbatim and scene-for-scene. It may have been that they had access to an earlier version of the script, and filled in any holes they felt necessary.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:11 pm

So kind of like a lot of those novelizations of movies being rather different from the movies themselves? Remember seeing junior novel for Space Jam saying the Road Runner helped save the day, when in the actual movie he didn't do squat And novelizations/junior novels/storybooks for the first Turtles movie kept the original comics' Oruku Nagi in there while the movie didn't have him at all, and thus made Shredder more evil.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:26 pm

FuniYamcha wrote:Huh, didn't know Rocketman's last name was McRoberts.
Off topic though it may be, I feel the need to recount how I read this, sat there confused for two seconds, then *LMAO*.
Point well made, sir. Very well made.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).