Pass around some compliments (stop the hate!)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Greenman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Greenman » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:28 pm

I lot of these have been mentioned by other people as well:

FUNimation:
- Sean Schemmel as Goku
- Chris Rager as Mr. Satan.
- Coola's dub actor.
- Number 17 and 18's voice actors.
- The season sets give a lot of bang for your buck.
- Vegeta's Super Saiyan theme.

Viz:
- Viz Bigs are really cheap.
- Viz Bigs have really nice paper.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:35 pm

The Ocean dub (FUNis first dub of season 1 and 2):

- has an AMAZINGLY BETTER scene of Yamcha in the baseball field, I recently watched it subbed, and it really does feel hollow by comparison.

- The creative redoing of the title cards

- Excepting Freeza, good voice casting all around

The FUNi dub:

- has an AMAZINGLY BETTER scene of Yamcha in the baseball field, I recently watched it subbed, and it really does feel hollow by comparison.

- Outside of some VERY BAD casting decisions, which I will not go into, for the most part the voice casting is well decided. (Dub Mr. Satan is damn perfect, for example)

- SSJ3 Goku transformation scene, one of the few times I really enjoyed the dub score

- The 23rd Tenka-ichi Budokai arc dub is BEAUTIFUL

- "It's not over until the fish jumps"

- The episodes where Future Trunks shows up were fairly faithful to the original for the most part

- Dubbed Makafushigi Adventure

- Vegeta's Final Flash scene

- Piccolo's "I am just a Namek that has long forgotten his name" speech is dead on
-Laserkid

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:36 pm

Greenman wrote:- The season sets give a lot of bang for your buck.
What do you mean by that?

Greenman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Greenman » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:40 pm

Ultimate_DB_Fan wrote:
They're dirt cheap.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:40 pm

Ultimate_DB_Fan wrote:
They are cheap and plentiful of episodes.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:41 pm

I was going to say... that doesn't have much to do with the DUB itself, while I'm not a fan of the season sets, thats more an issue with FUNimation's mishandling of DBZ in general, not the dub specifically.
-Laserkid

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:44 pm

Hum, what can i say about the Norwegian dub...?

*That guy who plays Kame Sennin plays his role very well. The problem is, sadly, that the voice director told him to play Kame Sennin as a senile old idiot, which is quite painful to listen to. But his performance is good, and he does a great job playing crazy old men in other series.

*Instrumental Cha-la in movie 2. Nice. Best part of the dub by far.

As for the Funi dub, whomever did Ginyu in those episodes right before he's turned into a frog was great.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:56 pm

We're generally saying positive things about companies/dubs we normally speak against, right?
laserkid wrote:- SSJ3 Goku transformation scene, one of the few times I really enjoyed the dub score
I still love that song, and the variants used for Gotenks later.
laserkid wrote:- The 23rd Tenka-ichi Budokai arc dub is BEAUTIFUL
I've not really watched any of the Dragonball Anime, dubbed or otherwise (besides the movies). Describe the positives to it (the Dub, that is).
- "It's not over until the fish jumps"
That reminds me why I'm glad I was a dub fan long enough to see that.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:57 pm

For the Funimation dub, I really enjoy Perfect Cell's voice. Also I really liked his theme song in the dub as well.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:02 pm

Well, the entire Dragon Ball dub was actually decent to begin with, but the 23rd Tenka-ichi Budokai arc dub was just so well performed. The best Goku performance by Sean Schemmel EVER, and they really got the levity of the situation down perfectly. By nature of dubbing around the original score to start with the dialogue works WITH the original score very well, and you can tell everyone put their heart and soul into dubbing it. If ALL of DB, DBZ and DBGT were dubbed the way the 23rd Tenka-ichi budokai arc was, there would be a LOT less problems with the dub in general. It is, in my mind the centerpeice of what the dub could have, and would have been if it had been taken more seriously. I could be angry about that, but I'm just happy SOMETHING got done perfectly right.
-Laserkid

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:06 pm

I'm really hoping to see more dub fans come in here and say what they like about the original version. There have been a few at the beginning, but, for the most part, this seems rather one-sided.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:08 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:I'm really hoping to see more dub fans come in here and say what they like about the original version. There have been a few at the beginning, but, for the most part, this seems rather one-sided.
The Dub's number one fan didn't even say anything about anything but the dub. Made me sad :(

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:12 pm

Duo wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:I'm really hoping to see more dub fans come in here and say what they like about the original version. There have been a few at the beginning, but, for the most part, this seems rather one-sided.
The Dub's number one fan didn't even say anything about anything but the dub. Made me sad :(
Indeed. Perhaps the first post should be amended so that positive comments can only be given for the version you don't primarily watch.
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:13 pm

Since I'm one of this site's neutral-fans, there are indeed many things I like about the original version. The voices, music, seriousness of the situation, the moments of silence, even the perverted aspect of Goku shown in the Boo saga; when he's talking to the Elder Grand Kaioshin about Bulma. :lol:

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:16 pm

Ultimate_DB_Fan wrote:Since I'm one of this site's neutral-fans, there are indeed many things I like about the original version. The voices, music, seriousness of the situation, the moments of silence, even the perverted aspect of Goku shown in the Boo saga; when he's talking to the Elder Grand Kaioshin about Bulma. :lol:
I really never saw that statement as anything but pure fact, but viewed in that light, it's fucking hilarious :lol: !
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:17 pm

IncompetentOverlord wrote:
Duo wrote:
Indeed. Perhaps the first post should be amended so that positive comments can only be given for the version you don't primarily watch.
Yeah, it's almost kinda funny if people are just going to post things they like... about something they already like! This is supposed to be about swallowing pride and giving compliments to something you generally don't like (or at least that's the impression I got)! I could do that all day with the original version of the series!

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:19 pm

Duo wrote:I could rain praise on the Pioneer released dub of the first 3 movies, but most of that goes without saying.

My positive remarks on the FUNImation in-house dub:

- Chris Sabat's Vegeta, while not quite what I would shoot for in Vegeta's voice, became one of the best performances of any character by the time the Boo arc was airing.
Although I prefer Sabat's Season 1 and 2 Vegeta over all, I do think he did the best "Angry Vegeta" stuff in the Buu saga.

Anyway, since this is supposed to be about versions that you don't prefer...well, I did like the Japanese music in the show during the Saiyan and Frieza sagas, and I do like the Japanese songs in the movies they debuted in, I just don't think they were placed in the show properly later on. Also, although I don't like her roles in the Son Family, Masako Nozawa did a damn good Turles.
laserkid wrote:
- Piccolo's "I am just a Namek that has long forgotten his name" speech is dead on
And the music that was playing really made the whole thing seem like a big deal. Especially the part where he's flying away from the lookout and Korin says, "Goodbye, old friend..."
Last edited by jjgp1112 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:23 pm

Positive things about the English dub(s):

- Peter Kelamis' Goku - not perfect, but at times he captured Goku's personality well. Probably the best professional English dub voice for Goku. (I say "professional", because we all know MasakoX is better than all of them.)

- Scott McNeil's Piccolo - gruff, but sage-sounding. Like he was meant to be the mentor role he turned into. It's like they cast him specifically for that purpose.

- The original English dubs of the first three DBZ movies. 'Nuff said.

- Brice Armstrong's narration of Dragon Ball.

- Chuck Huber (Android 17), Meredith McCoy (Android 18 ), Chris Rager (Mr. Satan), and Kara Edward (Videl)'s performances later in the DBZ dub.

Compliments to Funimation's treatment of DBZ:

- They're finally starting to get their act together.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:27 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Duo wrote:I could rain praise on the Pioneer released dub of the first 3 movies, but most of that goes without saying.

My positive remarks on the FUNImation in-house dub:

- Chris Sabat's Vegeta, while not quite what I would shoot for in Vegeta's voice, became one of the best performances of any character by the time the Boo arc was airing.A
lthough I prefer Sabat's Season 1 and 2 Vegeta over all, I do think he did the best "Angry Vegeta" stuff in the Buu saga.

Anyway, since this is supposed to be about versions that you don't prefer...well, I did like the Japanese music in the show during the Saiyan and Freeza sagas, and I do like the Japanese songs in the movies they debuted in, I just don't think they were placed in the show properly later on. Also, although I don't like her roles in the Son Family, Masako Nozawa did a damn good Tullece.
laserkid wrote:[

And the music that was playing really made the whole thing seem like a big deal. Esecially the part where he's flying away from the lookout and Karin says, "Goodbye, old friend..."
Thanks JJ. It's really interesting to see what you like about the original.
:mrgreen:

GizmoKSX
Beyond Newbie

Post by GizmoKSX » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:17 pm

There was a great dub moment during Goku's fight* with Recoome. Recoome is taking ridiculously long announcing the name of his impending attack, and Goku knocks him out with an elbow, commenting, "There was an opening that just seemed to scream out, 'attack!' So, I did." :lol: I think Peter Kelamis was doing his voice at that point.
I'm pretty sure Mike mentioned this moment in one of the podcasts.
*"Fight" in the loosest sense of the word. Also see Butterbean vs. Bart Gunn.
I can see their parachutes.