Pass around some compliments (stop the hate!)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:02 am

CURSE YOU INTERNET AND YOUR UNREADABLE UNDERTONES!!!

On-Topic, I really love the whole scene where Freeza has Kuririn impaled in the dub. The whole "Yee-haw! Ride em cowboy!" line just feels so....evil. :twisted:
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:25 am

Big Momma wrote: On-Topic, I really love the whole scene where Freeza has Kuririn impaled in the dub. The whole "Yee-haw! Ride em cowboy!" line just feels so....evil. :twisted:
That's what you kids are calling it nowadays? :wink:
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:31 am

How would an evil tyrant with mind boggling power be familiar with a pop culture trope of a planet he's never been to?

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:34 am

Innagadadavida wrote:How would an evil tyrant with mind boggling power be familiar with a pop culture trope of a planet he's never been to?
Even when I was nine, I thought the same thing. It was that joke and the toaster joke Vegeta made during his fight with 18(that one is my favorite) that made me wounder how these beings from outer space knew about our way of life and pop culture phrases.

...You have to love them, they are so fun.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:54 am

Innagadadavida wrote:How would an evil tyrant with mind boggling power be familiar with a pop culture trope of a planet he's never been to?
The same way he knows Earth's language and what a 'minute' is.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:34 am

Rocketman wrote:The same way he knows Earth's language and what a 'minute' is.
It could be argued that Freeza has no idea what the length of a minute really is though.

verto
Beyond Newbie

Post by verto » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:47 am

Innagadadavida wrote:
It could be argued that Freeza has no idea what the length of a minute really is though.
Raditz had the year pretty exact.
Proud to be a S<3NE.

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:50 am

Innagadadavida wrote:
I've always personally fanwakned around the 5 minute thing by just assuming a Freeza-crew standard minute =/= 60 seconds of Earth time. There's no way they break down their days based on Earth's lunar cycle. As for language, well clearly everyone speaks Galactic Basic (or Common). And clearly when anthros and triclops' and the like were walking Earth, they taught normal homo sapiens the language of the stars. Yeah.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:55 am

Well if you go with the babel fish theory, then all measurements would be translated appropriately based on what each organism understands. But that's a different series. :P

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:05 am

Onikage725 wrote:I've always personally fanwakned around the 5 minute thing by just assuming a Freeza-crew standard minute =/= 60 seconds of Earth time. There's no way they break down their days based on Earth's lunar cycle.
The minute comes from Earth's day-night cycle.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:02 am

I was just playing Raging Blast in English today and I noticed a lot of improvements in some of the minor character's voices. The voice actors for Nappa and Dodoria really toned things down a few notches. Whoever was imitating Clark's Cell did a good job I thought. It sounds to me like Young's Freeza has been getting more and more raspy and deep which...is a kind of good thing?
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:36 am

Look, Freeza just never learned how to estimate time right. He's very sensitive about the matter. Coola teased him enough about it as a child.

Can't you all be a little kinder to a mass-murdering sociopath?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:58 pm

Rocketman wrote:
That...and sometimes we forget it's just a cartoon. :P
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:01 pm

verto wrote:
Innagadadavida wrote:
Raditz had the year pretty exact.
And Vegeta knew when a full Moon was going to be.

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:52 pm

Big Momma wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
That...and sometimes we forget it's just a cartoon. :P
Yes, but it's a cartoon popular with nerds like us Daizexers. It's in our nature to try and make sense of things that were never meant to make sense, and to participate in the futile exercise of trying to align fiction to our own sense of reality.
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:17 pm

Rocketman wrote: And Vegeta knew when a full Moon was going to be.
I thought he just knew that if he flew high enough and far enough there ought to be a full moon somewhere. It isn't like it was night when they were fighting. He just started looking around.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:45 pm

Onikage725 wrote:I thought he just knew that if he flew high enough and far enough there ought to be a full moon somewhere.
While true, 'far enough' would be something like 200,000 miles, depending on where the Moon was in its orbit.

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:34 pm

I swear I saw somewhere that Vegeta specifically timed their landing so that, on the incredible off chance they were getting their asses handed to them, they could use the full moon.
Trunks & Goten forever

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:21 pm

Maybe so, but it doesnt make sense. It would imply an advanced knowledge of earth. ure, maybe they scanned it while deciding to target it. But then, how could they plot a course with the moon's location in mind and NOT notice the utter lack of a moon?

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:27 pm

They could if they plotted the course right after Raditz died, i.e., when there was a moon...
Trunks & Goten forever