DragonBall Chapter Books 9 And 10 Cover Art.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:58 pm

Seriously, does anyone know if these books are selling at all? I can't see the target demographic being too enthusiastic about buying them.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:19 pm

johnboy1 wrote:Seriously, does anyone know if these books are selling at all? I can't see the target demographic being too enthusiastic about buying them.
I can see it. When I was younger, and first starting to read, I know I would've bought them (Or rather, begged my parents for them). They're great for getting the wee ones just starting out with larger books. I was thinking about bundling them with some Bandai DBZ cards and a Goten figure for my little brother (He's a bit old for them, but I think he would like some exposition on the characters).
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:38 pm

When I was younger, once I was hooked on a series, I'd buy just about anything. Some of the sadder novelizations I had were The Addams Family (animated series) and Resident Evil. My buddy loved the Doom novels, but he said he could tell that the authors realized how stupid the premise was.
Officer Hippoface sez: "I don't take kindly to vigilantes in my town."

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:52 pm

Viz doesn't release stuff that doesn't sell, so people must be buying.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:01 pm

I remember they used to put out books like this for Pokemon; dumbed down dialog and all. I also remember needing them even though I watched the show, so I could see kids wanting these.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:28 pm

Heh, volume 10 and they're just at Goku's fight against Jackie Chun. There's going to be 200 of these things by the time they get done.

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:31 am

Dr. Casey wrote:Heh, volume 10 and they're just at Goku's fight against Jackie Chun. There's going to be 200 of these things by the time they get done.
No, more. They'll probably move onto the Z portion of the series, too.
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:39 am

Do Viz do these "Vizkids" branding to any other of their big name series'?

Kaiser Gogeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaiser Gogeta » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:03 pm

Pokemon Adventures is under the VizKids label.