Non-"Rock the Dragon" English Opening

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

verto
Beyond Newbie

Non-"Rock the Dragon" English Opening

Post by verto » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:10 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IYolcGf ... re=related

This is the theme song I grew up with, it says in the title of the video that its for cartoon network (I assume thats what it means anyway, not sure about the "X" though), but I watched it on YTV (a Canadian channel the I'm pretty sure is in Toronto). Only thing is, the version I saw had the visuals from the "Rock the Dragon" song (not a big difference but there are a few scenes that were switched).

I don't even know if Rock the Dragon was Ocean or FUNi, hell, it could be both for all I know, its been years since I last saw it on tv, but I'm pretty sure I grew up with the Ocean dub.

Why was this aired instead of "Rock the Dragon" on YTV, and if I remember correctly, one or two episodes used "Rock the Dragon" ( I think one was when Goku "died" on Namek).
Proud to be a S<3NE.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:52 am

That's the Ocean opening from when they took over after Funimation.

It was used on the Cell and Majin Boo arcs.

Rock the Dragon wasn't used again because Saban supplied the music, Saban had nothing to do with the second Ocean dub so they had to recycle Megaman music.

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:06 am

Don't think I've ever heard this. Very early-90's cartoon sounding.
Officer Hippoface sez: "I don't take kindly to vigilantes in my town."

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:34 am

God, how I hated this theme. I still do. Back then, I always muted the TV whenever DBZ started. :x

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:52 am

Is this opening used for the TV-only Ocean dub?
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:06 am

Bura wrote:God, how I hated this theme. I still do. Back then, I always muted the TV whenever DBZ started. :x
Same here, couldn't even watch it in front of my family. I'll get a lot of hate for it, but Faulconer did a much better job opening wise.. doesn't compare to Rock The Dragon though.
Whenever I tried convincing my friends that Dragonball Z was "the shit", this theme would always get me feeling a little humiliated when I tried showing them.
Seriously, I love the cast, but fuck you Ocean.

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:26 am

Rory wrote:
Bura wrote:God, how I hated this theme. I still do. Back then, I always muted the TV whenever DBZ started. :x
Same here, couldn't even watch it in front of my family. I'll get a lot of hate for it, but Faulconer did a much better job opening wise.. doesn't compare to Rock The Dragon though.
Whenever I tried convincing my friends that Dragonball Z was "the shit", this theme would always get me feeling a little humiliated when I tried showing them.
I agree, this theme was the worst theme for DBZ here. I also prefer the original Rock the Dragon and the Faulconer openings over this one. I can't even listen to it by myself without feeling extremely embarrassed.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:09 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Tue May 03, 2011 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:27 am

The Faulconer Theme is better because it actually sounds like some thought was put into it's composition. This other one sounds like it's from 1992 and you can tell it was just thrown together. They're both cheesy but I bet you if you grabbed a random person of the street and had them listen to both they'd tell you the Canadian one sounds cheesier...and worse...
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:35 am

No, the Faulconer music "Sounds Better" because that's what you guys grew up with, so that's what sounds good to you.

If you grew up where this version aired, you'd be making the opposite claim right now.

The only openings to Dragon Ball Z are "CHA-LA HEAD CHA-LA" and "WE GOTTA POWER". Period.

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:47 am

Maybe I prefer the original Rock the Dragon more than this because that's what we had at first. When it changed to this, this sucked so much in comparison. And the Faulconer music, well.. back then I liked the Faulconer BGM more than the Ocean BGM, and that non-vocal opening blended in with the entire background music it had at the time.

But anyway, I don't really know why I hate this one so much... I just always did? But I don't watch the series dubbed any more, so.
The only openings to Dragon Ball Z are "CHA-LA HEAD CHA-LA" and "WE GOTTA POWER". Period.
I don't think anyone will question that. :)

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:29 pm

Why is there a random subtitle of Goku yelling "Gohan!"? Does someone piece that together from their own clips, or is that how it originally was?
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:50 pm

I'm thinking someone pasted that together to get the opening in DVD quality, since as far as I know the Ocean dub beyond the first two seasons never made it to DVD. Unfortunately, it seems they forgot to turn off the subtitles.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:05 pm

Yeah, this uploader professes to have a lot of "Dragon Ball Z HD" clips.... how?...
Unless it's from one of the Movies or Kai... DBZ was never released in HD...
Are these upscaled?...

verto
Beyond Newbie

Post by verto » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Ya sorry about that, the other ones I saw were terrible video quality and well, I was on this one I thought to ask this question.

And yes, these clips were taken from the orange bricks as far as I can tell.
Proud to be a S<3NE.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:44 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Bura wrote:
Rory wrote: Same here, couldn't even watch it in front of my family. I'll get a lot of hate for it, but Faulconer did a much better job opening wise.. doesn't compare to Rock The Dragon though.
I agree, this theme was the worst theme for DBZ here. I also prefer the original Rock the Dragon and the Faulconer openings over this one. I can't even listen to it by myself without feeling extremely embarrassed.
How does the Faulconer theme NOT have this exact same effect? It's JUST as cheesy and faux-kiddie-"cool" sounding as this is, and just as embarassing to be caught listening to one as it is the other. These kinds of responses (and there's tons of them) that are to the effect of "Yeah, that replacement music for that other dub is so corny and tacky, it'd make me embarassed to admit watching the show... now that Faulconer tune, THAT'S bitchin'!".... those just perplex the shit out of me. :?

I've tried folks... I don't hear the slightest improvement in "coolness" between Faulconer and themes like this. They're both trying for the same exact kinds of awful "kiddie-cool" that every other shitty early-mid 90's American action cartoon went for.
Let the record books show that no one should be ashamed of their fandom, so the theme shouldn't matter. With that said...

The Faulconer opening (Assuming we're talking about this one) definitely couldn't be as embarrassing. Heck, I don't think that opening is embarrassing at all. It's just an instrumental clip show.

As for "Rock The Dragon", I think that's the kind of extreme thing where you can both/all just laugh at it together...whilst bobbing your heads.

That opening in the OP definitely has that 90s kiddy feel, though. And I honestly couldn't even finish it.
verto wrote:Ya sorry about that, the other ones I saw were terrible video quality and well, I was on this one I thought to ask this question.

And yes, these clips were taken from the orange bricks as far as I can tell.
Those didn't look like Orange Brick subs
Last edited by Big Momma on Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:24 pm

Big Momma wrote: The Faulconer opening (Assuming we're talking about this one) is definitely couldn't be as embarrassing
man that song always puts me in a good mood. :D

As for the theme verto posted, I can honestly say I have never heard that song before until now. I think my friend sang it once in front of me trying to make fun of Dragonball(meanwhile he is a die hard fan of Zatch Bell) but I just though he was doing a poor job singing "Rock the Dragon."
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:48 pm

The Faulconer opening (Assuming we're talking about this one) definitely couldn't be as embarrassing. Heck, I don't think that opening is embarrassing at all. It's just an instrumental clip show.
I was talking about this one, actually.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAKtaPQVUPc

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:53 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Tue May 03, 2011 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:02 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Bura wrote:I was talking about this one, actually.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAKtaPQVUPc
That was the pile of shit I was thinking of as well.
To me it was sounding like the music was going to go somewhere but never did. That OP is so generic sounding to me.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.