FUNimation DBZ Dragon Box Vol. 2 Trailer

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:26 pm

I thought Sabat's Piccolo voice for the trailer sounded much better than it did when he originally dubbed the series.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:14 pm

I find the advertising funny and well placed. It's even funnier that these sets are selling like crack too.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

dragonpiece
Beyond Newbie

Re: FUNimation DBZ Dragon Box Vol. 2 Trailer

Post by dragonpiece » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:23 pm

To tell you the truth, I really did not think these boxes would be selling well because a whole fraction of the fan-base aren't buying it(well most of a fan-base at least.) But about the trailer, am I the only one wondering why dub actors are doing these trailers when it is aimed at us Japanese fans? I mean they make it look like a release aimed at Bruce faulconer fans.
Last edited by dragonpiece on Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter.com/Dragonpiece

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:48 pm

dragonpiece wrote:To tell you the truth, I really did not think these boxes would be selling well because a whole fraction of the fan-base aren't well(well most of a fan-base at least.) But about the trailer, am I the only one wondering why dub actors are doing these trailers when it is aimed at us Japanese fans? I mean they make it look like a release aimed at Bruce faulconer fans.
What are they going to do, a trailer with Toshio Furukawa as Piccolo, with subtitles?

That would be awesome, but it's not going to happen.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:51 pm

They could always steal some audio clip of Shigeru Chiba yelling "Dragon Box...ZA MOOOOOOOOOOVIES!!!"

Of course, that would make no sense for the series sets...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:52 pm

dragonpiece wrote:am I the only one wondering why dub actors are doing these trailers when it is aimed at us Japanese fans? I mean they make it look like a release aimed at Bruce faulconer fans.
Because the Japanese cast probably can't be bothered to do American advertisements? Because people speaking English in American advertisements makes more sense? I dunno for sure, but those seem to be likely answers.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:00 pm

The fans of the Japanese version are already a pretty strong lock on buying these based on the features. For the dubbies, perhaps it's a harder sale because of the orange bricks. If they think Chris Sabat's Dubbicolo can convince those fans that they would be AWAKE! FINALLY AWAKE! by buying these sets, they're going to try.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:37 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Tue May 03, 2011 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:42 pm

Well, seems that the Dragonbox ads (at least the first one) was mirroring the Japanese Dragonbox ad... which had an in-character voice over from Nozawa. So, in an effort to mirror the Japanese ad, we got an in-character voice over.
(they/she)

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:58 pm

Well since FUNimation is using Kajetokun's memes (the guy who made these memes so famous) so far, they should continue the next one with either Goku's "I hope my body can take it" or Vegeta's "THE WHOLE UNIVERSE IS GOING TO DIE!!" lines.
You must have faith in who you are.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:50 am

Weird advertising aside, lemme just bring up that Target's listing for the box is currently putting rightstuf's and amazon's to shame at a pre-order price of $35.69. Just thought I'd bring that up.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:04 am

DaemonCorps wrote:Weird advertising aside, lemme just bring up that Target's listing for the box is currently putting rightstuf's and amazon's to shame at a pre-order price of $35.69. Just thought I'd bring that up.
I justify the higher price at RightStuf with the fact that I'll be getting it early.
(they/she)

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:13 am

I'm waiting to preorder until Right Stuff has one of their Sales. Then I'll order it with One Piece Season 2 6th Voyage and get them both for 40% off with shipping covering both DVDs.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

ACCloud
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ACCloud » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:04 am

Something interesting I just noticed on Rightstuf's listing. It says that Dragon Box 2 contains episodes 42-83 (I'm going to assume that it's actually episodes 43-83, as we already got ep. 42 on DBox 1). Now going by this, DBox 2 has less episodes than the first box. About 2 episodes to be precise. Which is just about the length of the Bardock special. Also notice that both Rightstuf and Amazon list it as having a 1000 minute runtime; the same runtime as DBox 1, which means it must have someway to make up for those 2 missing episodes (although I realize this could just be a near-enough estimate they use for box-sets).

Well, it's either that or Funi's just giving us less episodes :P

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:58 am

ACCloud wrote:Something interesting I just noticed on Rightstuf's listing. It says that Dragon Box 2 contains episodes 42-83 (I'm going to assume that it's actually episodes 43-83, as we already got ep. 42 on DBox 1). Now going by this, DBox 2 has less episodes than the first box. About 2 episodes to be precise. Which is just about the length of the Bardock special. Also notice that both Rightstuf and Amazon list it as having a 1000 minute runtime; the same runtime as DBox 1, which means it must have someway to make up for those 2 missing episodes (although I realize this could just be a near-enough estimate they use for box-sets).

Well, it's either that or Funi's just giving us less episodes :P
This has been discussed before, and it's just a typo on RightStuf's part (or whoever gave them the product description). There are images of the box art out there that clearly shows "43-84."

Edit: Here's a post with the image.
-Rachel

ACCloud
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ACCloud » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:30 pm

Whoops :P Thought I was onto something there. Thanks for setting me straight TripleRach. :mrgreen:

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:11 am

ACCloud wrote:Whoops :P Thought I was onto something there. Thanks for setting me straight TripleRach. :mrgreen:
Holy Kami, though, that would've been amazing! Where were they originally included in the JPN DBox releases? Z or Movies?
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:05 am

sumpter360 wrote:
ACCloud wrote:Whoops :P Thought I was onto something there. Thanks for setting me straight TripleRach. :mrgreen:
Holy Kami, though, that would've been amazing! Where were they originally included in the JPN DBox releases? Z or Movies?
The specials were included in the DBoxes in Japan, but they were never released as singles like the episodes were. Whether or not we get them is another matter completely. The original press release only stated the 291 episodes and the 13 movies. I certainly hope we get the specials, though.
(they/she)

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:43 pm

I fail to see the big deal about Funi's advertising. So what, it's a cartoon for kids. Who cares if they want to have fun with their advertising? Most DBZ Japanese commercials I've seen are FAR more silly than anything Funimation's made, so I don't see the problem.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:47 pm

The advertising is stupid. But it has us talking so it's doing it's job. Controversy keeps things alive. Having a boring relationship? Start some shit! Failing music career? Shave your head and become addicted to drugs. Unsure about the success of a risky product? Create stupid advertisement for some additional buzz. There's a lesson in there somewhere, I'm sure of it.